Gransnet forums

Health

Just been diagnosed with Diabetes type 2

(60 Posts)
Evie64 Fri 03-Jul-20 20:47:43

Hi all, I've just been diagnosed with Diabetes type 2. The nurse has said with a blood sugar reading of 52, that I should try and bring it down with diet and exercise. I've downloaded an app called My Fitness Pal which is brilliant for recording everything you eat and drink and how many calories you have left for the day and I've already lost a few pounds. However, what I'd really like is a diabetic diet sheet, but according to the nurse, they no longer exist? She said that everyone is different and what makes one diabetics sugar levels rise makes another diabetics stable? I'm trying to cut out carbs but would really benefit for some solid advice about I "can't" eat. Can any of you help please?

annep1 Fri 28-Aug-20 18:26:32

Oh you did make us laugh BBbevan.grin

You are very disciplined.

BBbevan Fri 28-Aug-20 19:10:19

annepl well you have to be disciplined. Otherwise all the hard work goes to pot. Sainsbury’s delivery on Sunday. Whoo hooo !!!!

annep1 Fri 28-Aug-20 19:34:40

Very true BBbevan. A lesson learnt here.

Enjoy your treat ?

Ohmother Sat 29-Aug-20 23:37:07

I got a free monitor and sent a note to the GP ( actually it was an enclosed card in the pack asking for the lancets and testing strips to be given on prescription. The GP agreed. The monitor is a Contour next (one) which via blue tooth connects to my smart phone so I can keep a record of different meals/activities and subsequent readings. Its the first time I’ve found I’ve got a proper overview in 8 years. Contour will provide the monitor free as they get revenue from the matching strips and lancets needed.

annep1 Sun 30-Aug-20 08:06:19

That sounds useful Ohmother
I have a monitor but it doesn't connect. I got it free from the chemist but I buy the strips. They cost about £25. I must speak to the docyor.

Oopsadaisy4 Sun 30-Aug-20 09:00:36

DH doesn’t need a monitor , because he has me!
No Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, fruit or fruit juice, cakes or biscuits.
No processed food ( apart from those listed below)
No root vegetables
No more glasses of milk.
He has diet free coke occassionally, tea and coffee
Meat with veg.
Eggs, fried, scrambled or boiled
Cauliflower cheese, made with grated cheese and cream.
Fish with salads or veg.
Plus he has bought some ‘Keto’ meals that you add veg to ( not sure about these yet as he’s only just got them)
He’s losing weight and as he is off the sugar he doesn’t feel hungry.
Good, because I am doing a lot of cooking!

Ohmother Sun 30-Aug-20 12:12:33

* Oopsadaisy4*. Can I come and live at your house? ?. I need a boot camp!

Oopsadaisy4 Sun 30-Aug-20 13:59:42

ohmother then I would have 2 people telling me off for nagging.

But it’s the only way, I’m doing it too to show solidarity.

greengreengrass Sun 30-Aug-20 14:01:25

well done for facing this.
I'm not diabetic but have risk factors and need to change eating and exercise. It's hard.

Have you tried a health trainer?
Scheme run by local councils and GP surgeries///