Gransnet forums

Health

Just been diagnosed with Diabetes type 2

(59 Posts)
BBbevan Sat 04-Jul-20 06:07:31

The Diet Doctor, web site also has loads of help plus low carb recipes. Good luck , it is all very possible. Just lower those carbs.

Susan56 Fri 03-Jul-20 23:15:13

Would you recommend I buy the more updated book lemongrove or are they pretty similar?

lemongrove Fri 03-Jul-20 22:20:12

Join the club Evie ?however you can do your best to eat low carb and it helps.If you need medication as well, your GP will tell you.
The book that susan sent a pic of is great, so easy to work out both low carb and calorie.It costs about £12 on Amazon.
This one is slightly more up to date.

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Jul-20 22:03:52

Diabetics UK have loads of on line advise and information. DH was diagnosed type 2 but cut down on carbs and lost over a stone and is now pre-diabetic. If he went for a strict diet he probably could do even better but his cheese addiction gets in the way!

Furret Fri 03-Jul-20 21:49:28

You don’t really want a diet sheet. What you need to do is educate yourself about carbohydrates and how they affect your blood sugar levels.

Grandmafrench has highlighted some books you should read and research you should look at. Also there is a low carb thread on GN somewhere which is full of great ideas.

Well done on your weight loss so far.

Susan56 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:45:42

I have been type 2 diabetic for about 20 years now.The nurse is right in that different things cause sugar spikes for different people.I have attached a picture of a book which I still find useful.Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Grandmafrench Fri 03-Jul-20 21:43:25

A huge amount of interest shown now in reversing Type 2 diabetes on a very low calorie diet for 8 weeks. Professor Roy Taylor discovered with some of his hospital patients that when awaiting surgery, "nil by mouth" made spectacular changes to their blood sugar readings. Look up details on him and the Newcastle Diet. There's an interesting article on the BBC2 website concerning the Hairy Bikers "How to Love Food and Lose Weight". Dr Michael Mosley and his 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet has been very successful in completely reversing Type 2 diabetes in 8 weeks on a low carb diet (800 calories). A lot of GP surgeries and clinics are now using the same approach to improve the health of their diabetic patients.

avitorl Fri 03-Jul-20 21:26:56

Sorry to hear that. I've recently been told I'm Pre Diabetic and have gone low Carbohydrate.
Advice I have read on Diabetes Uk site is forget focussing on sugar and focus on Carbs which convert to Glucose in our bodies.Of course that doesn't mean stuff ourselves with obvious sugar items cakes etc.
I've just bought a book,Pocket Book to Carbs and Calories to help me through this time.
I would definitely advise you to look at the Diabetes site for lot's of help and advice.

Evie64 Fri 03-Jul-20 20:47:43

Hi all, I've just been diagnosed with Diabetes type 2. The nurse has said with a blood sugar reading of 52, that I should try and bring it down with diet and exercise. I've downloaded an app called My Fitness Pal which is brilliant for recording everything you eat and drink and how many calories you have left for the day and I've already lost a few pounds. However, what I'd really like is a diabetic diet sheet, but according to the nurse, they no longer exist? She said that everyone is different and what makes one diabetics sugar levels rise makes another diabetics stable? I'm trying to cut out carbs but would really benefit for some solid advice about I "can't" eat. Can any of you help please?