Gransnet forums

Health

CBD Oil does it work for depression?

(30 Posts)
F0wey Sun 19-Jul-20 08:05:53

I have been prescribed Citalopram for anxiety/depression. I have never been a pill fan and am not comfortable taking the anti demos, I guess I am a bit scared. The thought of taking them makes me feel even more anxious. Has anyone taken CBD oil for depression/ anxiety? Or any positive views on Citalopram?

Jhony23 Fri 03-Dec-21 15:28:55

According to other threads, I've read, CBD oil has no effect, and for others, it always causes drowsiness when they consume it. It can also depend on the levels of concentration of CBD substance the product has. I'm one of the "lucky" ones since CBD has an excellent effect on me. I started consuming it after my doctor prescribed it to me to fight my anxiety. I don't know if it helps with depression, but you can try it. Make sure not to make conclusions after using a cheap and ineffective product. parsl.co will help you to track the history and ranking of a cannabis brand, and you'll be able to purchase a worthy CBD product.

Shelbel Fri 17-Sep-21 21:11:31

Cookiemonster66 said:

'I attend a monthly chronic pain support group and we had a guy come in talk to us about it, he runs a UK based company. I contacted him and ordered the 10% oil, 2 drops three times per day.'

So, he had a vested Interest. It worries me, all the big business getting in on the cbd thing. But on the Chronic pain group I'm a member of most have had no benefit from it. Like I said previously, it doesn't have any active ingredient. Unless it's the illegal sort ofc grin

But Cookie, if you believe it's helping you then that must be worth it. I wish it had helped me.

Shelbel Fri 17-Sep-21 20:59:20

Cbd oil contains none of the thc which is the component of marihuana that makes people high etc.
I have fibromyalgia and cbd oil is said to help with the pain and muscle stiffness: it didn't. And it's not cheap.

I then read an article by a medical professional who studied its effects and his conclusion was that without the thc component it had no effect.

I think if you are suffering from depression then it's best to go with what the doctor prescribes. Give it a chance to work, but if you don't get on with it then don't be afraid to ask to try another type. Some work better for some people than others.

jonatan Thu 16-Sep-21 17:46:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

CafeAuLait Sun 16-May-21 07:42:22

I went to a doctor appointment with someone to discuss the possibility of my friend trying CBD oil for depression and anxiety. The feedback from the doctor was that it might help, it might make things worse, but the most likely outcome was that it would do nothing for them. They were allowed to try it but haven't yet based on the feedback. Also because they wouldn't be allowed to drive while using it. If you want to try it, I suggest having a conversation with a prescribing doctor.

I've known one person who did very well on Citalopram, one who thought it made them worse.

NeoSigrid Sun 16-May-21 01:18:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blossoming Tue 16-Feb-21 12:15:35

Reported

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 12:09:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

EmmaNewman Mon 01-Feb-21 16:48:37

Luckygirl Fri 11-Dec-20 11:32:35

* I’m also against any pills because you never know how harmful they are* - and we know how harmful other "remedies" are??? Like CBD oil. Would you rather take a tried and tested medical drug like Citalopram or something untested and unproven to be effective?

Citalopram is a very effective treatment - it has saved my DD's life and allows her to function normally.

CBD oil is unproven in its efficacy and there are concerns about how it interacts with other medications.

AlRoss0908 Fri 11-Dec-20 10:53:46

FelixWill Fri 13-Nov-20 20:34:30

Quercus Tue 03-Nov-20 08:58:01

I do not understand why someone would consider taking an unlicensed product rather than a properly tested medically prescribed drug. If citalopram works then continue to take it, if not then see GP about alternatives, there are many other drugs with similar action (SSRIs).

Pixieboots Tue 03-Nov-20 06:35:38

If you have concerns about taking medication for anxiety, have a look at Dr Claire Weeks' self help books 'self help for your nerves'. There are a number of her books that may be out of print but you can get them on ebay and amazon And possibly the library. She also has some cassettes, cds and a dvd. She was a pioneer in helping peple who suffered with 'nerves'. Google her name as although she passed away in the 80's there is some interesting informstion about her on the web. Also have a look at Sue Breton a psychologist, now retired but two good books - 'don't panic' and 'why worry'. Good luck ?

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 02:01:58

I've been taking Citalopram for 18 months. No side effects.
I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder when I was 18 (30 years ago).
I had a very difficult time at work two years ago. At my worst stage I was vomiting on the way home from work, and waking in the night hearing blood rushing through my ears. I had two months off work.
I find that Citalopram helps me to keep things in perspective and not get overwhelmed.
I don't think that I will ever stop taking them.
I've tried CBD oil on several occasions, most notably when I was studying for exams. It didn't do a thing for me.
My advice is to start taking the Citalopram. If you experience side effects you can always stop taking them.
All the best.

Thistlelass Mon 02-Nov-20 23:33:24

You would not get me touching anything cannabis derived.. Just my preference. I have had mood issues since my teens and they are still present at 63 years. Very many episodes of depression and anxiety. Severe depression with suicidal ideation. Yes I have had citalopram. No it was not a pleasant experience for me. There are many alternatives available. In my work as a Mental Health Officer I was involved in the detention of too many people who had 'flipped' into psychosis due to heavy drug usage. Some of them never flipped back into shape. So an absolute no from me. Very sorry.

Daffydilly Tue 13-Oct-20 15:50:29

I can only comment on cbd oil, from the perspective of working in a pharmacy and what I've been told by my pharmacist.

Cbd oil can work well and be very effective but it takes a while to feel the benefits. It can take two or three months before any effects are noticed, so be prepared for that, please don't expect to see any changes in a few days. Good luck.

Esspee Fri 09-Oct-20 09:57:05

Citalopram is tried and tested medicine and works.

CBD oil has not passed any of the strict trials that prescribed medicine has gone through so is the equivalent of snake oil.
Why would you want to try a possibly dangerous "alternative medicine" when you have been given the chance of taking Citalopram?

lakersgirl248 Fri 09-Oct-20 08:39:36

I have been doing CBD for a few months now and I have to say yes it does help you feel a little bit better when it comes to fighting depression and anxiety. I have been clinically depressed for many months now and CBD infused products helped me the most in combination with therapy. Typical antidepressants just did not work for me. I personally prefer to take gummies with CBD in them because it's easier and I like the way they taste. Plus I keep them with all my other supplements and it's easier for me to just take a bunch of them in one place. I also like that they have a certain amount of CBD. I have tried different brands throughout the years and I really like this one brand that you guys can check here: . I like them, the prices are not bad and the shipping is decent. Hopefully it will be used for you

bikergran Wed 22-Jul-20 09:14:44

My dad 84 has Parkinsons.

He takes medication for it obviously.

About 5 week ago my dd got him some low dose CBD oil you drop it on your tongue.

A week or so later I noticed that my dads hands had stopped a lot of their shaking, but another thing is he seem to be chattering constantly.(this did wear off )

He has cronic back pain, buta s yet the cbd doesnt seem to have helped.

My dd has bought him some more that is slightly stonger.

Not seen the results of this yet as he is using up the lower does one first.

I will check his hands again today (discreetly)

F0wey Tue 21-Jul-20 13:43:09

Thank you that sounds very encouraging.

cookiemonster66 Tue 21-Jul-20 12:03:09

I have started taking CBD oil for anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and pain relief. At the start of lock down I was having terrible night terrors, panic attacks including heart palpitations, hyperventilating, I knew I had to get on top of it otherwise I would need to see the Dr to give me something to calm me down. I had always been cynical, but thought I would give it a go. I also have fibromyalgia and arthritis and live with chronic daily pain with mobility issues - registered disabled. I attend a monthly chronic pain support group and we had a guy come in talk to us about it, he runs a UK based company. I contacted him and ordered the 10% oil, 2 drops three times per day and within a few days it had got into my system, no more panic attacks, I was much calmer, and best sleep I have ever had in my whole life, now 10+ hours per night of refreshing sleep which helps me cope with pain management during the day. Wish I had started it sooner! I have now started on the 20% oil to help with the pain better. I cannot recommend it enough. To get 5% discount use code : maria16 and the website link is www.medivita.co.uk/?ref=16

Elegran Sun 19-Jul-20 11:25:10

Annsixty Those who have tried Citalopram have seen the bits about that more readily that those about CBD Oil, and most have answered about that. I have not had either Citalopram or CBD Oil, so I saw the thread title question first, then the two questions in the post. Two out of the three were on CBD Oil.

If the OP wanted views on Citalopram, why label the thread "CBD Oil does it work for depression?" and ask "Has anyone taken CBD for depression/anxiety?" with the "Or any positive views on Citalopram?" as an afterthought at the end? I suspect that she is considering going for the oil in preference to the mainstream drug, or even both. If I were her I would consider the fact that cannabis is just as much a "pill" as the citalopram, and that medical advice is not to add it to other drugs.

Being "natural" doesn't mean it has no drawbacks or side effects, particularly when combined with other medication. Arsenic and strychnine are both "natural" too.

henetha Sun 19-Jul-20 10:37:54

I can't comment on CBD oil as I have never tried it, (I am curious though to know if it would help my back pain).
I took Citalopram for about eighteen months and it did help my depression to decline gradually. I had no side effects and do definitely feel that it helped me. Good luck FOwey.

annsixty Sun 19-Jul-20 10:31:07

With utmost respect Elegran and your views are amongst the most respected on GN, including mine, the OP did ask for opinions on Citalopram.
I have been taking it for a few years now since my H travelled down the road that is Alzheimer’s.
I only take a low dose, 20 mgs daily but it has been good for me.

If I were the OP I would give it a fair trial, 2/3 months before judging
Personally I would rather take something tried and tested and approved by experts than something else.

If it doesn’t work then go onto CDB oil.

I myself am trying Turmeric for my osteoarthritis after convention remedies are no longer working.