Gransnet forums

Health

Blood pressure monitors

(34 Posts)
Ngaio1 Thu 06-Aug-20 11:29:06

I went for a diabetic check yesterday. Bloods taken. No blood pressure, no weigh in and no foot check. Is this normal now? I was advised to buy a blood pressure monitor for home and wonder if Gransnetters have any advice and experience, please? So many advertised, i don't know where to start to choose.

Jane43 Sun 16-Aug-20 13:39:38

I agree with Alexa, the ones that go on the upper arm are better than the wrist ones.

Larman50 Sun 16-Aug-20 16:15:56

Does anyone here get cerviogenic headaches that generate from the neck . Any tips as the medication the doctor gave me has minimal effect

silverlining48 Sun 16-Aug-20 19:07:14

We got ours some years ago from Lloyd’s, about £15. Works well, it’s an upper arm one, I understand they are supposed to be more reliable. Also recently bought an oximeter which was £11.

Marydoll Sun 16-Aug-20 19:16:06

Larman50, it would probably be best to start an actual thread on this and include the name of the condition in the title.
Your post will get likely lost in the replies about BP monitors..
Good luck!

Grandad1943 Sun 16-Aug-20 20:12:14

You can now get smartwatches that constantly monitor your blood pressure while being worn. Many come with various health authority guarantees, and reviews from those that have purchased them online are in many cases very positive.

My wife and I are both thinking of such a purchase and are looking around, but it seems to be advisable to avoid the cheaper models. Samsung, Google, Huawei, Levono etc are the brands that seem to carry the most accreditation and positive reviews at this point in time.

NotSpaghetti Sun 16-Aug-20 20:31:23

The ones on the British and Irish recommended list are all upper arm ones.

Franbern Mon 17-Aug-20 07:40:50

Have been using an upper arm BP monitor at home for a long time. Yes, they are uncomfortable when working, and do cause feeling of pins and needles - but it is for such a short time, and they do give far more accurate readings than the wrist ones.
It is important to remember that BP should not be taken immediately after eating or drinking - allow at least 30 minutes after that. Sit still and position arm as close as possible to be level with heart whilst taking the reading. I usually find arm on cushion on the arm of my chair is a good position. Try to be as relaxed as possible and do not talk, etc whilst taking reading.
Readings will change very quickly often second reading taken minutes after first one will see low bp -also readings should be taken on both arms at times.
Readings at home are usually so much better, as many of us - even if we do not realise it - suffer from some sort of 'white coat syndrome', which means that whenever a health care professional takes our BP - it shoots up.
Stress does see an increase, quite dramatic at times. When I went for my first cataract operation, I thought I was coping well, until the nurse took my BP - which was so alarmingly high I thought they would cancel the op. Fortunately, I had a very experienced nurse and he just told me to sit and relax for 20 minutes and he took it again, and although, still high, had fallen enough for him to send me through to the doctors.

Glenfinnan Mon 17-Aug-20 08:59:38

Yes important to ensure cuff is correct size. I have a boots one but had to buy an additional larger cuff for DH. Bought it from Amazon for £12.99 and it fitted well. We had a letter from our surgery asking we buy one as all routine reviews now taking place via phone, and we were requested to have information ready.