Gransnet forums

Health

Black Dog Gang 7

(1001 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 06-Aug-20 22:18:40

Hello , a new thread, welcome all x

I have been off line since this morning , and land line down !

BlueSky Mon 21-Sep-20 12:03:15

Your dogs are bi-lingual Annie? Clever doggies! ?

MerylStreep Mon 21-Sep-20 13:44:00

Bluesky
You ask if it's like drinking. No, totally different. Much more mellow. Unless, its skunk. I didn't know that I was smoking skunk ( once) That is awful. Never again. Although I do look back on that night and laugh because I had the munchies so bad I ate a tin of spaghetti hoops?
If you knew me you would know that I wouldn't eat that in a million years.

ChrissyR Mon 21-Sep-20 14:01:49

Hi everyone.
lavenderzen I’m glad that you had a good night’s sleep. I’ve got quite a few bags for the charity shops. Some of them have a board outside saying they’re not accepting donations so I need to find one that is before I take it.
Annie Your dogs must be a comfort to you and how lovely that you can talk to them and they seem to listen smile I listen to audiobooks when I turn the light out at night, they definitely to seem to help. Each disc lasts about an hour and I’m usually asleep before they end. Ah I get it now about your GD’s comment wink?
BluSky I’m the same about never trying cannabis because I was too scared about what might happen. When I had a breakdown and was climbing the walls with anxiety, my daughter brought a cannabis cigarette round to se if it helped but I never smoked it.
Joce Unfortunately I am a smoker, I tried hypnosis but it didn’t work. Last year I started seeing the nurse who was doing a smoking cessation clinic at the surgery. She gave me a white plastic thingy that you inserted cartridges into, that didn’t help at all. The last time I saw her she asked if I was ok with doing the ‘blowy’ thing that measures your lung capacity and she was surprised (I was too) that my reading was the same as that of a non-smoker. I’ve cut down a lot which is something. I always go outside to smoke as well.
Nonnie Sounds like you had a lovely evening, how nice to make it special with the candles and wine smile
lucyanne Hope the hospital visit goes well.
I hope that everyone else is well and that you all have a good day x

Scaredycat Mon 21-Sep-20 16:57:12

Hello all.
Merylstreep wish I,d shared your naughty treats - it must have been fun with your friend and helped her too. Ha ha with the Spaghetti Hoops - yuk?
Annie I just googled Comfrey . It was grown in medieval times and is used for many different conditions. The leaves are full of potassium amongst other things.
Nonnie you are right the worrying is always worse than the doing . My youth wasn,t too exciting either but I got married at 18 and had 3 children by the time I was 24!! Your evening sounds lovely what a great idea. There,ll probably be a few Xmas dinners like that this year??
Luceyanne hope your hospital appointment goes well.
Well today was another lovely one and had a good walk on our Woodland Trust. The leaves are already turning a little bit - I love the look of Autumn pity it means Winter is round the corner! Hope you have all had a good day. X

BlueSky Mon 21-Sep-20 21:26:07

Good night all x brew

Doodle Mon 21-Sep-20 21:43:51

Chrissy my DIL stopped smoking by using an e-cigarette thingy. Might be worth a try if you want to,
Annie I’m sure your two dogs know what you are thinking by now whether you talk to them or not. Dogs are so loving.
Early night for me. I’m going on a little boat trip tomorrow so need an early night.
Sleep well all. No bad dreams just a peaceful night. x

Anniebach Mon 21-Sep-20 22:27:56

Scaredycat great you had a lovely walk, weather was beautiful here in Mid Wales, expect you had the same.
Comfrey is known for reducing inflammation, that’s why my
Dad took it for arthritis.

Doodle enjoy your boat trip, we have a canal in our town , I love spending a few hours on there.

lavenderzen Mon 21-Sep-20 22:38:04

Good night and god bless everyone. Have a peaceful evening and a good nights sleep. Take care, love to all xx

Joce345 Mon 21-Sep-20 22:55:23

Good night all hope you all have a peaceful nights sleep.. ?

Anniebach Tue 22-Sep-20 09:52:26

Hi all x

How is everyone today ?

Joce345 Tue 22-Sep-20 10:37:45

Morning Annie, how are you doing?
Think I’m just going to enjoy the sunshine today before the weather changes. X

ChrissyR Tue 22-Sep-20 10:47:53

Morning everyone, hope you all have a good day flowers

Doodle Tue 22-Sep-20 11:01:43

Morning all. Looking forward to our trip this afternoon, weather should be warm but overcast which suits me. I don’t like being too hot.
Hope everyone had a good night.
Enjoy your day today x

Doodle Tue 22-Sep-20 11:03:14

I looked up comfrey Annie I’ve never heard of it before. How did your dad use it, in a brew like tea?

BlueSky Tue 22-Sep-20 11:10:11

Morning all. Feeling low about the Covid news. Not that we go far or have family nearby or a busy social life, so it shouldn’t really matter, but depressing thought regardless. I guess that’s it and we’ve got to get on with it.

Nonnie Tue 22-Sep-20 12:22:14

lucyanne my brain doesn't recognise 6.30 am grin

Doodle I don't very often do the cooking anyway, DH took it over about 10 years ago so I only do it if we have a large group or want a pud. He is getting very good at it. Have a lovely trip.

Scarycat sounds like you are doing well at the moment, long may it last.

Annie what breed of dogs are they?

Feeling a bit of a fraud on here at the moment because, although not great, I am a lot better than I was when I joined the BDG. Should I leave or stay to show you all there is hope?

Off for a sunny walk soon to make the most of it while I can. Suspect we will soon be under house arrest again.

Anniebach Tue 22-Sep-20 12:26:47

I am feeling low too, I am an optimistic but optimism is sinking today.

Last winter I made so many plans to recover from the agoraphobia, then they were squashed in March, but summer was ahead.

Need a physiotherapist, was told last week this means going 20
miles to the next county. Yesterday it’s changed, now 35 miles
to yet another County.

My mini tornado back at university, all the news reports about
universities at risk, 1. I am worried about her. 2. It probably
means she won’t be able to come to see me. 3. Remembering
no clean bed linen for 17 weeks in the last lockdown.

A positive, I found a puppy for elder granddaughter yesterday,
gosh it was hard work, checking breeders etc. She and her
partner went to see a litter yesterday evening and result -
a sweet little black Lab.

Doodle my Dad soaked the comfrey and made comfrey tea.

ChrissyR Tue 22-Sep-20 13:55:29

Doodle I hope you have a lovely trip out this afternoon.
BlueSky Yes the latest COVID news is not good. When he said that the latest restrictions could last for 6 months, my heart sank.
Nonnie I am really pleased that you’re doing a lot better than you were when you joined BDG. I hope you don’t decide to leave, it is good to know that there is hope smile I hope you have a nice walk this afternoon.
Annie I’m sorry to hear that you’re not feeling good. That’s terrible that you’re expected to travel all that way to see a physiotherapist. I understand your concern about your mini tornado being back at university, my GD is back at school but at least she is home every day with my daughter. Please don’t answer this if you don’t feel comfortable and feel free to tell me to mind my own business but could you get a career to help with jobs you can’t do on your own like changing the bedding? I hope you aren’t upset with my question. That’s lovely that your GD got a black lab puppy smile I hope you feel better this afternoon flowers

Anniebach Tue 22-Sep-20 14:15:52

nonnie. Without hope what is there ? It’s good for this thread to read of positives , and I would miss you x

Chrissy I don’t mind you asking my love, the 17 weeks I didn’t see one human being I coped with the exception of no
clean bed linen, horrible. I made enquiries, carers help with
bathing, eating, not cleaning, for that I had to find a cleaner,
the choice was a stranger and not knowing how many houses they had been in didn’t give me the confidence to have a
stranger in my home, and it was lockdown so there was no
one advertising anyway. I slept on the sofa. x

Joce345 Tue 22-Sep-20 17:44:45

Annie sorry you are low, you certainly are not a sinker a swimmer yes... we are all hear Annie.. so pleased you found your DGD a puppy, I do like labs lovey dogs.. stay strong Annie sending you hugs x

Nonnie I agree with Annie you would be missed. We do need hope, positives are so good to hear.

Scaredycat Tue 22-Sep-20 17:50:52

Good afternoon all
Doodle hope you had a good boat trip- was it sea or river?
Nonnie it’s so good that you are feeling better - please don,t leave. I also feel better - it has helped being here with you all. Today we drove to the sea and walked along the cliffs hope you enjoy your walk today too.
Bluesky the news is enough to make anyone feel low but you are right we just have to get on with it. It would help if everyone behaved sensibly there are so many selfish people out there.
Annie so sorry you are feeling low today. No wonder though when you face so many hurdles - the physio situation is disgraceful. I,m sure your mini tornado will be sensible and safe back at Uni and hope so much she will still be able to visit. She sounds such a character. The black lab puppy sounds just the job and hope you get to see him soon. Is there a volunteer organisation in your town who could help you. Years ago when the Accident happened there was one where I lived and they were so kind. Of course it probably isn,t that simple in these uncertain times. Sending you hugs
Have a good evening everyone and sleep wellxxxx

Doodle Tue 22-Sep-20 19:54:09

I think all this talk of further lockdowns has created a bit of a downturn in anxiety levels but you are right Bluesky we just have to keep plodding on.
annie I do hope your mini tornado keeps safe and is allowed to keep visiting you. She must be worried about you too.
Nonnie as the others said, we need positives. We all have times when we are better than others. Really pleased you are feeling good at the moment. We need a balanced approach and your thoughts are welcome.
So pleased you found a puppy for your DGD.
Joce I so agree. A little black lab sounds perfect. ?
My boat trip was on the river scaredycat. Nice and safe. Not sure I fancy afternoon tea at sea ? could be a bit choppy.
Yes Chrissy we had a lovely time . We were lucky with the weather and it was warm most of the afternoon. Lovely tea with sandwiches, scones and cake. No dinner tonight. Far too full ?
Really tired tonight (must be all that river air ?)
Hope everyone is ok. Sleep well all. x

BlueSky Tue 22-Sep-20 20:51:17

The prospect of a new lockdown must be so much worse for you Annie and those on their own. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as in March.
Good night all x brew

ChrissyR Tue 22-Sep-20 20:57:05

Annie I was relieved that my question didn’t offend you. I didn’t know that carers couldn’t do jobs in the home. I totally understand you not feeling comfortable with having strangers in your home especially in these times.
Scaredycat Glad you enjoyed your walk along the cliffs, bet it was refreshing.
Doodle no today’s news not too good sadly. Afternoon tea on a boat on the river sounds so nice, glad you had a nice time.
I hope everyone has a good night’s sleep. Take care everyone x

Anniebach Tue 22-Sep-20 22:23:55

I do worry about my mini tornado, she is the youngest , her brother had a 1st , her sister a 1st, she was only into two months of her first year when my darling daughter took her life, her tutors advised her to start her first year again the following year, she did, in her second year the virus so from March the university closed and she had to study on line, I so
want her 3rd year to go smoothly but I fear a lockdown will
soon be in Cardiff.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion