Gransnet forums

Health

Embarrassing: Camping & Constipated

(162 Posts)
rachb2020 Thu 20-Aug-20 19:32:53

Sorry this is a bit embarrassing but we are currently on a camping holiday and I can't poo! We've been here since last Saturday afternoon and it just won't happen.

It's not helping having to use the site toilets - a 10 minute walk across a field and then six cubicles, lack of privacy and my bottom won't relax.

Then the more I worry that I'm not pooing the worse it gets. I've spent ages sitting in my cubicle waiting for everyone else to leave, which never happens!

Any tips on how I can finally go to the toilet?

Doodle Fri 21-Aug-20 18:25:06

rach surgeon advised my DH rasins are the best thing. Also Movicol which is like Fybogel and lots of water. Movicol absorbs water and makes things softer. Rasins are good too. Good luck.

Callistemon Fri 21-Aug-20 18:28:01

Fly biscuits?
aka Garibaldi biscuits

Or figgy biscuits. I really dislike figs but love figgy biscuits, haven't eaten one for years. Too tempting.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Aug-20 19:00:39

grin
downtoearth

rockgran Fri 21-Aug-20 19:20:22

I had this problem whilst camping as a teenager and eventually went to the loo in the middle of night for some privacy. Unfortunately the camp nightwatchman came in to ask if I was alright. I could have throttled him! I do find dried figs or prunes help so I aways take some with me on holiday.

rockgran Fri 21-Aug-20 19:26:01

It is reassuring to hear how many people have this problem and are willing to help.

rachb2020 Fri 21-Aug-20 20:19:56

Thanks everyone for your help.

I suffer with chronic constipation (my bowel lost it's "ooomph" when I am on the toilet about five years ago) - at home things take a long while and there's a bit of straining involved (and a lot of frustration!).

The addition of being unable to relax is completely stopping things!

I managed a couple of pebbles this morning blush - but am looking forward to using my own toilet when I get back home!

grannyrebel7 Fri 21-Aug-20 21:54:53

You poor thing you must be so uncomfortable by now. Hope you have some luck soon.

Doodle Sat 22-Aug-20 00:01:50

rach seriously I would suggest you look into Movicol for long term use. It is a softener and makes things easier to go without straining. Hope you get home safely.

DanniRae Sat 22-Aug-20 07:52:11

Oh I have been following this thread with interest as I too have problems 'going' - even when at home and can relax. I think my bowels have lost their "ooomph" too.
Please let us know the outcome, as it were rach!
Good Luck x

Alexa Sat 22-Aug-20 08:25:02

Rachb, straining may cause piles. So please go to the doctor and get a complete regime for making over your colon and or rectum so they empty easily.

Possibly the doctor will not have time to do more than prescribe a laxative. If so please consult the practice nurse, or practice dietician.

It's not good to rely on suppositories every day, but when the bottom end is blocked the sort of suppository that softens the blockage is the most gentle sort. If unsure do please ask the pharmacist about which suppository. They usually have a private room for a consultation.

Ideally someone would give you an enema as that would not cause problem or discomfort . But I don't know who who to recommend, unless you can get hold of a private nurse or a practically-minded friend to do it, after you go home.

sodapop Sat 22-Aug-20 08:29:54

Be careful with the enema suggestion rachb like all procedures there are risks if its not done by a competent person.

BlueSky Sat 22-Aug-20 08:58:37

I too was wondering who would do an enema at home as I only have experience of hospital ones.

Agranbytheendofthesummer Sat 22-Aug-20 09:38:25

I can’t understand this anxiety about going to the toilet; every single person in the world has to empty their bowels. There are many things to worry about, this isn’t one of them.

Tanjamaltija Sat 22-Aug-20 09:42:43

Drink a lot of water, and eat bananas, and grated apples. Walk.

Luckygirl Sat 22-Aug-20 09:44:10

Glycerine suppositories are a better option to straining, which can cause the bottom to drop out of your world!

sarahcyn Sat 22-Aug-20 09:45:57

My festival-hoing children tell me this is normal. One of my daughters cheerfully described Glastonbury as "a long weekend of trying not to need a poo"

sarahcyn Sat 22-Aug-20 09:46:28

Sorry festival - GOING

sarahcyn Sat 22-Aug-20 09:47:09

Or the world to drop out of your bottom as the saying goes

Lisagran Sat 22-Aug-20 09:47:50

Agranbytheendofthesummer - you’ve clearly never experienced this embarrassing and painful situation. It isn’t something you choose to worry about - it just happens.

4allweknow Sat 22-Aug-20 09:48:43

Maybe you should go when the toilets are busy. The constant noise will hide any of your embarrassment. Massaging your abdomen from lower right all over to lower left will help move things along (following intestinal track). Relax, others will be the same as you.

sarahcyn Sat 22-Aug-20 09:50:49

I recommend buying a "squatty potty" step for your home bathroom. Putting your feet on the step moves your body into a squatting position and completely changes the way the muscles behave.
I researched this after my OH had piles. Having one of these in each toilet has changed our lives.

Shortlegs Sat 22-Aug-20 09:51:50

Has the bottom fallen out of your world? Take ExLax and let the world fall out of your bottom.

Callistemon Sat 22-Aug-20 09:57:46

Sortlegs thank you for that!
???

Callistemon Sat 22-Aug-20 09:58:07

Sorry, Shortlegs

Lisagran Sat 22-Aug-20 09:58:29

That’s a good short term solution, Shortlegs, but not good to become dependent on laxatives