Gransnet forums

Health

FALSE TEETH/The Dreaded NHS Dentures

(11 Posts)
Yve62 Thu 27-Aug-20 17:08:22

I've had to wear partial dentures for about 5 years now, top and bottom. I can honestly say that I have never been happy with the dentures, I've had two sets I think - so it hasn't been cheap. I had new dentures fitted at the beginning of 2019, for the whole of that year I was back and forth to the dentist, having them rubbed down because they were rubbing on my gums, then a tooth came off one of the dentures, then recently the bottom denture simply broke in half. Obviously the denture couldn't be glued back together as it were and I picked up new bottom denture on Tuesday. The denture felt quite tight when I tried it at the dentist but I felt it would loosen up a bit and came away saying I'd see how it went. My god I can't even describe how sore my gum is - in fact by the time I got home that day (45 minutes later) my gum was extremely sore - I hadn't eaten, just having the thing in my mouth was causing bad pain. I've recently talked to my dentist about private dentures, he suggested it, not that it hadn't gone through my own mind. I can't have implants due to not having the bone density etc. There are alternatives, the flexible denture, then there is the metal framed dentures, and then there is the more expensive acrylic type. Now, I read last night that the flexible denture isn't suitable for those who have quite a few teeth missing, which I do. The metal framed also may not be an option for me because I think if you have some movement in teeth which I also do .. these would put a lot of pressure on existing teeth. This leaves me with the mega tastic acrylic denture. I feel like aiming this bottom denture out of the window right now. Why is it that the dentists and technicians CANNOT manage to get the patient a good fit? I just can't work it out and it makes me so angry. I am feeling sorry for myself because I cannot get to see the dentist until next Friday when he can hopefully sand the denture down and maybe loosen it a bit to make it more comfortable. I have to go a whole week with this denture killing me basically. I feel lost because the dental receptionist said I couldn't see any other dentist in the practise because of treatment plans etc,,,, OMG. Now, if a patient's in pain surely another dentist can do a five minute job of helping to make a denture just a little more comfortable. Comments please, tea and sympathy would be good too. smile xx

SueDonim Thu 27-Aug-20 17:11:28

Yve62 I don’t have any experience or knowledge to offer but that sounds just awful. You poor thing. I’d keep phoning until they give you an appointment just to make you go away! flowersbrew

kittylester Thu 27-Aug-20 17:11:37

Good dentists can get a good fit.

midgey Thu 27-Aug-20 17:23:12

There’s a good reason that my brother in law calls false teeth corporation clackers! If you go private what you are paying for is time, time to make them fit properly and hopefully time to make the false teeth match your own! Can you see if there is a private false teeth maker? They know what they are doing but they do cost.

Jane10 Thu 27-Aug-20 17:40:56

Keep phoning. Surely no good clinician can let a patient suffer the way you are doing. Good luck.

kittylester Thu 27-Aug-20 19:42:59

If a dentist can do good impressions for private dentures then they should do the same for nhs patients!

NanaandGrampy Thu 27-Aug-20 21:44:06

My daughter has similar issues and finally found an old gentleman who has a practice at home as a dental technician ( his lifetime career) . He made a far thinner, far more superior set of dentures to any from the NHS and he charged no more than the NHS .

He’s never going to be allowed to stop :-)

Kate1949 Fri 28-Aug-20 10:05:45

Be wary of private denture practices promising wonderful results. I paid almost £3000 for dentures that gave me nothing but problems.

JuliaM Fri 28-Aug-20 11:12:05

There are alternatives available to the old fashioned type of dentures, but they are often not available on the NHS, and are quite expensive. These include Implants and Bridges, which fill in the gaps between your own remaining healthy teeth, rather like a Crown does, but can be used to bridge the voids between the healthy teeth remaining, or implanted into your jaw itself. They are certainly better than having the traditional dentures with a 'Roof Plate' or the type that sit directly onto your gum.

NanTheWiser Fri 28-Aug-20 17:13:46

Yve62 has already said in the OP that she isn’t suitable for implants, JuliaM.

I have partials on both upper and lower - the upper was made by a private denture practice about 10 years ago, and it has been excellent (I also have a 4 unit bridge and required a well-fitted partial that wouldn’t compromise the bridge, which I wasn’t confident my dentist could supply). It WAS expensive, but worth the expense.

In contrast, I had a private lower partial made by my dentist which I’m not happy with, it was uncomfortable, and not nearly such good materials used, as it stains quite badly.

FlexibleFriend Fri 28-Aug-20 17:29:45

I'd question the dentist as to why he believes a private set of dentures would be any better than the Nhs ones when the same dentist and technician are producing them. You pay for dentures you can wear and he has a duty to ensure they are a proper fit. It doesn't matter how many times he has to adjust them to get them comfortable.