Gransnet forums

Health

Is everyone getting a flu jab?

(203 Posts)
Jaxjacky Thu 03-Sep-20 15:25:20

I haven’t had one for about 35 years, we got them free at work and am a bit wary as a friend had an adverse reaction. Your views please?

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 07:23:58

Yes booked at Boots for next month. First time I’ve not used GP but they are being slow off the mark this year and I didn’t want to wait. Never had a reaction - DH sometimes has an ache in his arm for a day or so

LullyDully Fri 04-Sep-20 08:23:34

Yes suzieWours are booked for later this month at Boots.

The GP always has a huge endless queue up the road. More fun with social distancing I should imagine.
So Boots is so much better and still free. I take any vaccine offered and can't wait for the one for C19.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 04-Sep-20 11:39:25

I get one every year, originally at Boots but now at the GP. I go in about two weeks and must get there on time, not early as no waiting inside is allowed due to Covid.

Touch wood I've never had any problems with side effects except a sore arm for a day or two which is nothing to write home about and is preferable to flu which knocked me sideways a couple of times.

henetha Fri 04-Sep-20 13:08:36

In 23 years of flu jabs I've never had an adverse reaction,
nor the flu luckily. A text from the surgery yesterday says they will contact me with an appointment this month.

GrandmaMoira Fri 04-Sep-20 13:14:04

I would like to have the flu jab but am allergic to something in it so can't have it. I imagine when we get a vaccination for Covid I will have the same issue.
They don't pre-book flu jabs early in my area. Nothing happens until October.

allium Fri 04-Sep-20 13:17:01

Never had one, probably not. Haven't had flu for about 20 years.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 04-Sep-20 13:36:08

It depends what people term an “adverse reaction”. Have they collapsed with anaphylaxis or felt very unwell afterwards? I think true adverse reactions are very unusual. I usually have a sore arm for a few days, and am happy with that because I think my immune system has been prodded!
Last year a more effective vaccine was produced for the elderly which offers better protection than previous years.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 04-Sep-20 13:38:11

I wouldn’t like to run the risk of a double whammy of flu and Covid in one winter!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 04-Sep-20 13:40:57

Yes booked for 16th Sept at our local surgery. They hold the sessions in the town hall and it works really well, in and out.

Cabbie21 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:23:59

Our surgery normally announces dates and you queue up. I have heard nothing this year. I haven’t had a flu jab ever. When I was teaching I am sure I built up a lot of immunity and only caught a virus if a pupil brought back something new from abroad. The flu jab cannot prevent every virus, or COVID-19 would not have infected so many people.

phoenix Fri 04-Sep-20 14:40:04

I've had one ever since being diagnosed with COPD a few years ago.

Haven't heard yet from local GP surgery as to when they are scheduled.

Also was supposed to have my annual lung capacity test (to check that the meds I'm on are still right) in August, but not heard anything. Suppose they have a hell of a backlog!

trustgone4sure Fri 04-Sep-20 14:45:30

Not for me.
FIL died 3 days after having one and it made my mother really ill.

Davida1968 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:54:49

Yes, DH & I are already booked in for our flu' jabs. Twenty five years ago I had "proper" flu - I was incapacitated and so vulnerable that I got pneumonia as well. At that time my age was on my side (I was my 40s) but I wouldn't fancy my chances now. IMO, not having the jab is to play Russian Roulette with one's health. (Well, you did ask.....)

H1954 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:54:57

I have the flu jab every year; initially it was provided through my employment as frontline medical staff but now I'm retired I get it through the GP. No ill effects so far and the GP surgery is rolling out the flu jab programme very soon.

Kate1949 Fri 04-Sep-20 15:03:58

I've never had one. I'm 71. Haven't had a cold for over 30 years. I know flu us not a cold and is dangerous but I can't decide. Like trustgone4sure
a member of my family was perfectly OK, had the jab and died the next day. Coincidence I'm sure but it's made me jittery.

ChrissyR Fri 04-Sep-20 15:18:57

My GP not doing them until end of Sep/beginning of Oct but I’ll definitely have one. I think it’s even more important this year because of COVID.

LadyGracie Fri 04-Sep-20 16:36:03

Ours are booked the first week in October, masked up and arms ready please!

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 04-Sep-20 16:52:22

Seeing a family member have a adverse effect could put you off. Likewise having a family member who hadn't had the jab and then got really ill with flu could encourage you to have it !

I'm now 70. I've had coughs (which last for weeks/months) during the winter and two years ago saw a relative so ill with flu. He always, like me, said "No jab".

Last November I said "Yes". No bad effects and no cough smile.

Littleannie Fri 04-Sep-20 17:00:14

Yes, tomorrow at our surgery. They are doing them in the car park, so we are hoping it doesn't rain! Never had a bad reaction in 15 years.

Franbern Sat 05-Sep-20 09:13:33

It takes about 14 days from having the flu jab for it to become effective. So, if you have actually contracted flu just prior to having it, or during that two weeks, then you will go through all the normal process of having this very nasty illness.
No way would I ever miss out on having this protection. Like others have been having it now for 17 years, sometime my arm is painful for a few days, sometimes just for a couple of days, and. on occasions, not even that.
Pneuomonia jab had several years back, for 'oldies' this is a once only protection, although other people who have this for other medical reasons often need it every five years. And got my shingles jab last year (at last).
Any such protection I can be offered I am very happy to take. Jaxjacky, please be reassured.

elleks Sat 05-Sep-20 09:14:37

Before I retired from the NHS, we used to get them done at work (They actually needed a reason if you didn't want it) This year my GP is doing it;my DH is asthmatic, so he gets one automatically, and being his carer they'll give me one as well.

Grannygrumps1 Sat 05-Sep-20 09:15:23

Google and read the statistics of how many people die from flu each year. If that doesn’t persuade you to have a flu jab nothing will.
If the practitioner who is offering the jab does not ask you a list of questions first then walk away.
You need to be in good health and not have or recently had a cold prior to the jab. If you have then that’s when you will get an adverse reaction.

Kim19 Sat 05-Sep-20 09:22:43

Yes, plan to do that asap.

Nannymarg53 Sat 05-Sep-20 09:23:16

Side effects from flu are FAR worse than side effects from the vaccine. There are very few contraindications to the vaccine - even having a cold at the time is not a contraindication. The vaccine is not a live vaccine and CANNOT give you flu despite any ‘stories’ you may hear. Trust me - I’m an immunisation nurse ?

Gingergirl Sat 05-Sep-20 09:25:57

No, won’t be having one.