Gransnet forums

Health

Is everyone getting a flu jab?

(202 Posts)
Jaxjacky Thu 03-Sep-20 15:25:20

I haven’t had one for about 35 years, we got them free at work and am a bit wary as a friend had an adverse reaction. Your views please?

Greyduster Thu 03-Sep-20 15:27:57

We get ours on the tenth of this month (standing in the surgery car park, probably in the rain!). We’ve never had a adverse reaction but there’s a first time for everything I suppose.

aggie Thu 03-Sep-20 15:31:40

I haven’t heard when we are to have ours , I have never had an adverse reaction in the twenty odd years of having the Flu jab

TrendyNannie6 Thu 03-Sep-20 15:34:29

No, and I don’t have the flu jab,

Kamiso Thu 03-Sep-20 15:34:58

I used to get them at my surgery but, despite an appointment was kept waiting for ages so now use the little local Boots. I go in when it’s likely to be quiet and usually in and out in 5 minutes.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Sep-20 15:37:04

October apparently. I have to phone in a couple of weeks time.

varian Thu 03-Sep-20 15:38:09

Flu can make you very ill. Several years ago I caught the flu over the Xmas holiday from a family member. He was ill, but only for a week or so, but I was extremely ill for six weeks. At the time I was self employed and had deadlines to meet so I did try to drag myself out of bed to do some work, inevitably collapsing in a short time. I lost work and quite a lot of money by being so ill.

The following year I made sure I got a flu jab, although I was at the time a year or two younger than the age when you are offered the jab automatically. I have had one every year since then and have never been ill. You are not guaranteed protection as their are many strains of flu and the jab each year is designed to protect against the strains which are most prevelant, but even so, I would advise everyone to have a flu jab unless advised not to by their doctor.

Grannynannywanny Thu 03-Sep-20 15:42:05

I’ve got mine booked for October. I’ve had one for the past 20 years and been fortunate enough to never have had flu in that time ?
No adverse reactions other than a little tender spot for a day or 2.

Calendargirl Thu 03-Sep-20 15:46:24

Yes, booked at Boots mid September.

tanith Thu 03-Sep-20 16:50:52

I had not had one ever till OH was very ill and my doctor said he couldn’t be put at risk if I got it so I gave in. Now they send me an app by text, mines on Saturday 5th, as I’ve not had any issues with the jab I might as well carry on having it.

Grannybags Thu 03-Sep-20 16:53:41

Yes I have one every year. Haven't heard from my surgery yet though.

Never had a bad reaction

Witzend Thu 03-Sep-20 16:57:56

Having had a bad case of flu once, I’ve been having the jab for several years now. I’ve never had any reaction, and neither has dh.

Also had the shingles jab last year (I’ve had shingles too) and no reaction there, either.

Sillymoo Thu 03-Sep-20 18:08:22

Yes at pharmacy inside local Sainsbury's.

Septimia Thu 03-Sep-20 18:12:55

Had my first one last year at a pharmacy, DH had had them previously although he'd missed a year or two. There had been an article on the radio about benefits of having the jab and, as we were passing the pharmacy we were enticed in by the sign outside offering flu jabs.

No ill-effects. I'll be in the queue this year.

Buffybee Thu 03-Sep-20 18:13:40

I always have the flu jab and have never had any adverse reactions to it.

EllanVannin Thu 03-Sep-20 18:21:57

Mine was booked in July for 24th of Sept at the surgery. I've never had a reaction----but have been ill for 3 Christmas's on the run grin Could have been worse without the jab though !

Jaxjacky Thu 03-Sep-20 18:54:37

Thank you for responses, I’m reassured, September 17 is my GP date.

Chewbacca Thu 03-Sep-20 19:59:09

Had the flu jab once, about 5 years ago, and I can't remember ever being so ill before in my life. Never had one since.

Jaxjacky Thu 03-Sep-20 20:03:05

Chewbacca well, I was reassured!

FlexibleFriend Thu 03-Sep-20 20:45:59

No never had the jab and never had flu or even a cold.

janeainsworth Thu 03-Sep-20 20:53:37

Booked an appointment at my local pharmacy for October 5th.

I’ve never had an adverse reaction.

annodomini Thu 03-Sep-20 21:01:55

I've been having flu jabs for 34 years. I have never had an adverse reaction, nor have I had flu in all that time.

Esspee Thu 03-Sep-20 21:42:32

I have never had an adverse reaction either. Flu caused the death of my grandmother so I most certainly will be getting another this year.

dontmindstayinghome Thu 03-Sep-20 21:55:49

I didn't have a flu jab last year because for the preceding few years after I'd had the jab I developed a horrible cough.

The cough lasted for months - until at least Spring the next year.

So, I decided, no jab last year. Result - no cough!

No, I will not be having a flu jab!!

Welshwife Thu 03-Sep-20 22:10:39

My haematologist who treated me for cancer tells us we must both have the Vaccine as soon as it is available. We assume that it is because my immune system is still compromised.