Gransnet forums

Health

Is everyone getting a flu jab?

(203 Posts)
Jaxjacky Thu 03-Sep-20 15:25:20

I haven’t had one for about 35 years, we got them free at work and am a bit wary as a friend had an adverse reaction. Your views please?

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 15:31:01

You don't have to be a virologist, varian, to conduct your own research on that year's 'flu vaccine.

Some vaccines are live (generally the flu vaccine is not except for one given to children) and some people with health problems resulting in compromised immunity should not be given a live vaccine.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 15:34:09

suziewoozie

Call tbf we don’t really know the effectiveness of a flu vaccine properly until after the event . It’s a bit suck it (or jab it) and see. It’s never completely ineffective but a few years ago it did hit a new low. Still even a protection of a few % imo is better than none.

Yes, they are usually playing 'catch-up' and the virus has probably mutated by the time the vaccine is ready to be rolled out.

This year it's probably a good idea to have it; as JenniferEccles said, having a double whammy of flu and COVID could be a dangerous combination for some people.

suziewoozie Tue 08-Sep-20 15:35:00

Call how can anyone know whether this years flu vaccine will be effective before it might be too late to have it? That really doesn’t make sense - like others on here, I’ve gone for an early jab date - not risking waiting a few months to find out what % effectiveness it has

suziewoozie Tue 08-Sep-20 15:36:08

Of course they are playing catch up and best informed guess with the flu jab - it’s the only way to do it.

varian Tue 08-Sep-20 15:38:35

As I have already pointed out janeainsworth, I make no assumptions about any individual poster. I merely drew attention to the research.

Some people get offended by statistical facts. The statistics illustrate overall patterns and trends, but not individuals. I suspect that all of us belong to groups which tend to show a characteristic we do not share, but there is no need for anyone to take offence.

For instance it is true that people over the age of 65 do not generally have the same level of educational attainment as younger people (the opportunites were less when they left school). If someone happens to be a highly educated individual over the age of 65, (as many GNetters are), it neither disproves the finding, nor should it give them a reason to take offence.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 15:41:36

Call how can anyone know whether this years flu vaccine will be effective before it might be too late to have it? confused

I didn't say that.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 15:43:33

Callistemon

suziewoozie

Call tbf we don’t really know the effectiveness of a flu vaccine properly until after the event . It’s a bit suck it (or jab it) and see. It’s never completely ineffective but a few years ago it did hit a new low. Still even a protection of a few % imo is better than none.

Yes, they are usually playing 'catch-up' and the virus has probably mutated by the time the vaccine is ready to be rolled out.

This year it's probably a good idea to have it; as JenniferEccles said, having a double whammy of flu and COVID could be a dangerous combination for some people.

I was agreeing with you, suziewoozie, how could you not see that?
[ confused]

suziewoozie Tue 08-Sep-20 15:58:09

‘I evaluate the risk and the efficacy of that year's particular vaccine. They are not always as useful or effective as claimed and viruses have a tendency to mutate.‘

This is what I was taking issue with you about Call you can’t know in advance of the risks and efficacy of any years flu vaccine until after the event. And it’s not true that claims in advance are made about the coming years flu jab. Figures are presented in the late spring after the flu season. What is claimed on the basis of the past is that generally the effectiveness rate will be between 40-60% with variations between age groups . The worst result in resent years was a 10% effectiveness rate for over 65s which probably led to the enhanced vaccine for that age group being introduced a couple of years ago

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 16:15:16

We are told what is in that year's vaccine which is evaluated well in advance as the viruses have been circulating in the Far East and/or Australasia in their winter.
It is based on likelihood.
Tests are carried out before the vaccine is rolled out to the public, eg the H3N2 vaccine tests found that it had a 20-30% effectiveness against H3N2.

M0nica Tue 08-Sep-20 17:04:34

I may not be having the flu jab but I am emphatically not antivax in any way. I have had the pneumoccal jab (spelling?) and the shingles jab and any other going, just not the flu jab because I do not think I need it.

Jane10 Tue 08-Sep-20 17:33:44

Well M0nica- fingers crossed you don't then. Not sure of the efficacy of crossed fingers though!

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 17:55:44

I may have the flu jab but, having just had the pneumococcal jab, I thought I'd have a break in between.
Having two flu vaccines within a couple of days a few years ago resulted in me feeling very ill.
Not had the shingles vaccination on medical grounds.

No-one wants to catch flu or COVID, but we also need to know what is going into our systems with some vaccines and drugs.

Franbern Tue 08-Sep-20 19:10:06

No, you cannot get Flu from the injected Flu Vaccination, it's not a "live" vaccine it only contains proteins to train the immune system.
No, you Cannot get Pneumonia from the Flu Vaccination, but make sure you have had the pneumococcus vaccine if you are in an at-risk group.
No, you cannot develop Autism from a vaccine.
Yes, you might get a slight fever from a vaccination, this is just your immune system learning to recognise the target of the vaccine.
Yes, you might get a slightly sore/bruised arm at the injection site as it is an intramuscular injection.
The children's nose spray flu vaccine is a live virus, but it is in such a minute amount that will not give you flu (except in vanishingly rare cases) unless you have an underlying immune-suppressing condition, in which case you must have the jab.
Now don't be a prick go get a prick, unless your GP or consultant has specifically told you you shouldn't have it, such as in the case of those receiving chemo/radiotherapy.
....oh! and magic water (homoeopathy) won't stop you getting a virus.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 20:01:15

But the Shingles vaccine, for one, is live.

So ask your doctor first before you have it.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 20:03:07

The Swine flu vaccine did cause problems too although it was not a live vaccine.

Shropshirelass Wed 09-Sep-20 09:54:22

Yes, every year without fail. I am asthmatic and my DH has chronic health issues so not prepared to risk not having it.

Puzzled Wed 09-Sep-20 10:00:57

Had one, years ago. Followed an adverse reaction, as bad the disease. So never since, and never had 'flu!

The vaccination is for a particular strain, so not effective if the "wrong" strain comes, as it did a few years ago.

Regular medication has only caused side effects worse than what is supposedly being treated, so I avoid doctors, and hospitals unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Griselda Wed 09-Sep-20 10:01:27

We always have ours done. Yesterday was luxury - the pharmacist called in and did it in our garden on his way to a mass session in the local pub car park.

omega1 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:05:17

I was in bed for five weeks with the flu, , had to crawl to the bathroom as I was so weak so I always have my flu jab

henetha Wed 09-Sep-20 10:57:36

I had a text from my docs yesterday asking me to phone for a flu jab appointment, so I did. I'm very pleased.

Skier Sat 17-Oct-20 05:57:26

Never had the flu jab, although been texted by GP practice to get one this year. I'm needle phobic and medical intervention averse so won't be getting the flu jab.

ginny Sat 17-Oct-20 08:47:03

Both DH and I had ours on Thursday.
Very efficient system at the surgery. In and out of the door within a minute and if I hadn’t seen the needle wouldn’t have known that it had been done.

Luckygirl Sat 17-Oct-20 09:52:55

ginny - same here - just been done!

Atqui Sat 17-Oct-20 11:05:58

I VE only had the flu jab twice ( I’m 70) , and I shall have one this year ( although local pharmacy has run out!
I’m definitely NOT anti vax but I believe people should be given all the facts. People have been known to get Guillane (sp?) Barre syndrome after flu vaccine, and I know someone who had GB and is told not to have flu jab again . While I would not want to,put anyone off having a vaccination against anything , and it’s only a very small proportion of people who react, I think it’s wrong to state that no one can ever be ill as a result of a vaccination. There are risks in most medical procedures and we all have to weigh these up For ourselves.

luluaugust Sat 17-Oct-20 12:00:47

It's Free, not much is get it done.