Gransnet forums

Health

Hospitals opening up?

(42 Posts)
Vetrep Thu 10-Sep-20 13:30:56

Does anyone have any inside information about when hospitals may start treating non-urgent cases? I was due an operation in January, delayed to save beds for potential winter flu. Then Covid happened! It is not life saving, but for me will be life changing. We are in a rural county where Covid numbers have been very low. What are they doing in these hospitals?

KathrynP Sun 13-Sep-20 12:39:29

I was had a complicated skin cancer op done on my face in January but it was put off till June, With the current situation I thought it would be December before I got my Op. Fortunately I was contacted in mid June and given a date of the 29th June, the lady contacted me said that 70% of the people that she contacted to come in for operations refused to do so because of the Covid situation. The surgeon said I would be his first shielded patient. They discovered more tumours and I had them
removed this week. Very impressed with the care and COVID safety Precautions. Sounds like I have been very lucky. I live in Exeter.

PJN1952 Sun 13-Sep-20 12:54:07

A relative has had a knee replacement op, postponed from April, done this week at an Orthopaedic centre and my partner is having a non urgent procedure done in the local NHS hospital this Wednesday after seeing the eye consultant 2 weeks ago. He had to have a Covid test on Friday and now self isolates until the op.
I think the NHS is revving back up.

Youngatheart51 Sun 13-Sep-20 13:04:39

I have a bowel & bladder prolapse & was due to have a pelvic repair middle of April which obviously got cancelled. I had a phone app in June then 2 weeks ago I had a phone call from the women's hospital booking me in on 17th of this month. Last Monday I had to go to pre op for bloods & mrsa swab & tomorrow have to have a covid test then self isolate (& DH) for 72 hours until I go to hospital 7.30am Thurs morning. I'll be glad to get it done as not only is it causing a lot of discomfort but it's also delaying treatment for my ra.

ChrisK Sun 13-Sep-20 16:08:23

I was fortunate to have an MRI yesterday , postponed due to covid, was told there is quite a backlog, am waiting for a spinal cord stimulator to help my painful back, MRI was last hurdle. Unfortunately at Addenbrookes Cambridge there is hardly any opatients, or so it seemed, ( had been on a week day week before), staff always brilliant and can't do enough for you

Of course this is all down to keeping safe, I always thank them in person when there.

Pippa22 Sun 13-Sep-20 17:44:04

In my area, S.E. surgery is happening but whole household has to isolate for 2 weeks prior, temperature and swab on admission.

earnshaw Sun 13-Sep-20 17:44:21

my husband is waiting for a non urgent operation and was told by the surgeon that it could be a while whatever that means

MellowYellow Sun 13-Sep-20 17:58:05

I'm in south Cornwall. Been told by my consultant that my two hip replacements will be in 'early spring.' Yikes. But am booked for a kidney scan at my local 'cottage' hospital and have finally heard from the Hearing Centre at our main hospital, who are going to do a phone assessment. So things are moving a bit......

MellowYellow Sun 13-Sep-20 18:09:10

annsixty I've sent you a pm.

Nanniejude Mon 14-Sep-20 06:26:54

NHS is starting to try and clear the backlog, it will vary in each area. My mil had a long awaited hip replacement in Cambridgeshire!

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:00:20

I live in NW London and have been visiting a local NHS hospital monthly because I am a trial patient for Macular disease. Only the trial patients and those who receive regular eye injections are being seen. OPD is empty.

I am really happy about it because I am there less than 3 hours, no faffing about and out the door.

Daisymae Mon 14-Sep-20 10:22:41

You do need to chase up. It's a question of he who shouts the loudest. A relative had been in agony for ages, cancelled appointments etc. But was very polite until the other week when they lost it at reception. Out came a surgeon who looked at the scan and said I can do this. Tomorrow. Said patient is now recovering.

GlammakAz59 Wed 30-Sep-20 11:44:44

Any one just being put on hospital waiting lists to see surgeons know how long we may have to wait i have knee problems and Carnt walk

BlueSky Thu 01-Oct-20 09:06:58

Just as things were getting better and services resuming the news of a Covid outbreak in a Welsh hospital is the last thing we wanted to hear!

Chewbacca Thu 01-Oct-20 09:13:37

I had an appointment with my orthopaedic surgeon back in March which of course was cancelled. I've just heard this week that I have a new appointment for 12th October; thanks to my GP chasing it up on my behalf. Fingers crossed I have new knees soon!

watermeadow Thu 01-Oct-20 18:14:45

I had a pre-op assessment for a cataract just before lockdown in March. Out of the blue I had a phone call from the hospital last week and my op will be a week afterwards.
I didn’t expect this yet, cataracts are unimportant compared to heart or cancer treatment, but I’m very pleased. There must be a huge backlog to get through.

annsixty Thu 01-Oct-20 18:21:29

See my post on page one.
I have now been scheduled for a week tomorrow.
I have had my pre-op, another one scheduled for next Tuesday which includes a Covid test, my fingers are very firmly crossed that it goes ahead.