Gransnet forums

Health

'Flu vac at pharmacy

(152 Posts)
Teetime Tue 15-Sep-20 11:50:37

We had our 'Flu vaccinations yesterday at Lloyds pharmacy - so easy and quick. They rang us to make an appointment as we had it with them last year and its nice to know that's done and dusted. Our GP surgery has even got stocks of the vaccination in yet. By the way its still NHS at the pharmacy so you dont pay although I think you can at some places.

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 13:05:31

Calendargirl

ctussaud

Your GP can give you the triple strength vaccine (advisable for seniors) but pharmacies can only give you the standard one. Have had mine from GP in a superbly managed trot on foot through the surgery car park.

So is this the one that all GP’s give, or do you have to request it if you’re a special case?
I thought the over 65’s were given a certain vaccine, and younger people a different one?

What ctussaud posted is WRONG as in fake news, false information, a lie! WRONG WRONG WRONG.

GardenofEngland Fri 18-Sep-20 13:09:38

We had ours yesterday in Boots in Ashford Kent as could not get an appointment in or around Folkestone. My first as just reached 65 no queue straight in had to wait for 10 minutes afterwards as it was my first jab. Gosh it was painful and still sore today! But hopefully it will protect me. Chemist advised it was 3 strains jab as advised by WHO.

Jane43 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:17:48

We had ours in Lloyds Pharmacy in Sainsburys on Wednesday. The pharmacy assistant asked us if we are over 65 (well we were wearing masks) to select which vaccine to give us so pharmacies definitely have different vaccines. I also found that as with last year's Vaccination from Lloyds I had hardly any soreness in my arm whereas the year previously at Boots my arm was really sore for at least four days.

SusieFlo Fri 18-Sep-20 13:33:29

Had ours on Saturday 12th September. At GPS, All very efficient albeit in a tent in car park.

Lulubelle500 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:37:26

Just had mine. Popped into Day Lewis while I was out shopping. They phoned to say vaccine was in on Monday, no appointment necessary. No muss, no fuss. Pity they can't take more duties from GPs.

Gizzy48 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:43:21

Blinko and Missfoodlove, you seem to be suggesting that because surgeries are "closed" the doctors are just twiddling their thumbs. Unless ours is an exception, they are very busy indeed, quite apart from flu jabs. We've had several phone consultations, after which they sometimes ask you to come in for a blood test or an examination - wait outside till called, masks, sanitiser etc.

annodomini Fri 18-Sep-20 13:49:58

The first tranche is going tomorrow to the town hall so I expect to be summoned for the next session. It sounds very well organised.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 18-Sep-20 13:54:36

I’ve just had mine by GP staff at local village hall, so all safe and organised. Pharmacies are keen to do vaccines because they get paid, and therefore GPs lose money. Not that I blame anyone who opts for a less busy option than their surgery clinic can be.

I paid for one a few years ago at Sainsbury’s when not eligible for free one, and have never had such a bruised arm. The person who did it said she was a nurse, but clearly used the wrong technique, which I know, because I’ve administered hundreds of vaccines, so have opted for GP since.

Terri823 Fri 18-Sep-20 14:10:17

Had mine this morning at local independent pharmacy. I am in a wheelchair so they came out to the car to do it. Saved me getting in and out of car then wheelchair. Lovely friendly young man.

Ashcombe Fri 18-Sep-20 14:33:50

Torbroud

I can't understand they do blood tests but not b12 injections, never heard of flu vaccination yet

I do sympathise, Torbroud.
My daughter needs these and was refused by her GP during lockdown. She discovered this support group on Facebook:-

www.facebook.com/groups/529779647037909/

through which she buys her own which is injected by a neighbour who is medically qualified. Would that be a possibility?

Regarding flu jabs, I was contacted by my GP last month and received mine last Saturday at a well organised session at my surgery. As I live in an area with many retired folk, I was impressed that this was sorted out in good time. O

Bijou Fri 18-Sep-20 14:41:50

Apparently our surgery is administering jabs in the car park. You put your arm out the car window. Being housebound the district nurse does mine.

Musicgirl Fri 18-Sep-20 15:07:14

I have had mine done by a pharmacist for several years now. Much less hassle, in and out. I am allowed one due to having asthma but l know many forward thinking employers pay for their employees to have one as it is much more cost effective in the long run. Flu vaccination is not expensive and l think this is something that should be offered to everyone. It would be far cheaper overall for the government than the weeks that are lost each year to sickness caused by flu.

Calendargirl Fri 18-Sep-20 15:33:49

suziewoozie

Calendargirl

ctussaud

Your GP can give you the triple strength vaccine (advisable for seniors) but pharmacies can only give you the standard one. Have had mine from GP in a superbly managed trot on foot through the surgery car park.

So is this the one that all GP’s give, or do you have to request it if you’re a special case?
I thought the over 65’s were given a certain vaccine, and younger people a different one?

What ctussaud posted is WRONG as in fake news, false information, a lie! WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Thanks for that SW. I was sure it was incorrect info, but thought others maybe knew more than me!

?

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 15:39:04

Thanks for the thanks Calendar.its a pity HQ are ignoring my report. FWIW although I was 100% certain I was right, I spent 30 mins on phone ringing 3 brands of pharmacies and spoke to their pharmacists to check. I think they thought I was barking. ?

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 15:40:33

I expect lots of incorrect information on GN but when it can potentially worry people I think it’s unacceptable. No apology either from the offender.

optimist Fri 18-Sep-20 16:00:57

My pharmacy gave me the triple vaccine and explained why in detail.

Juana Fri 18-Sep-20 16:03:24

Lloyd’s pharmacy in Sainsbury’s, had it done a few days ago, no problem. They are doing jabs on behalf of GP surgery

Juana Fri 18-Sep-20 16:04:56

And it was the Triple vaccine for the elderly, all explained by pharmacist

CBBL Fri 18-Sep-20 16:06:29

Both Hubby and I booked in at GP's for early October. We received a letter from them, as we are both Vulnerable. We have always had them previously!

Fletcher1 Fri 18-Sep-20 16:35:32

Already had ours at the GPS we are very lucky to have excellent Doctors

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 18-Sep-20 17:23:14

Hello! Just a reminder to all that obviously when it comes to anything to do with your health it's best to check it out with your GP or a professional. By all means talk to others on here for their experiences but do check out the NHS website for advice on the flu vaccine for detailed info. Thanks smile

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 17:30:53

Nice link HQ but doesn’t refute the false information.

allium Fri 18-Sep-20 17:32:56

Sounds a good option.

Calender37 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:29:44

Doodle. Your postings have been very useful in explaining the back ground to the Annual Flu injections. There is much inaccurate information circulating and assumption amongst patients as to the process involving GP Surgeries, relative to the timescale of the ordering and eventual supply of the vaccine. Flu clinics have to be organised. That said it is sad that there has been so much criticism of the way that Surgeries are working and being organised during these difficult times. Direct instructions were sent from the Dept of Health the beginning of the pandemic setting out exactly how Surgeries would operate on a daily basis, hence the introduction of tele consultations and triage of patients requesting appointments. So please remember that no GP’s or their staff, both admin and clinical are sitting around ‘twiddling their thumbs’, since some of them to have fallen victim to the virus. Patience and consideration to all will be needed as we now face increasing infection numbers. Having unexpectedly survived Covid 19 in April, I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Let us do all we can to protect each other, known and unknown, as best we may.

stewaris Fri 18-Sep-20 18:33:51

Lloyds in 2 weeks. Went to the GP last year, waited in the cattle market for half an hour in the rain to be told I was too young. My GP had retired and we went another practice. So went to Boots instead. But this year our local Boots has said if you're over 65 you need to book in store. No idea why. So Lloyds it is.