Gransnet forums

Health

Unused medicines refused by Boots

(35 Posts)
Auntieflo Fri 02-Oct-20 17:27:47

Today my husband took in a partially used pack of blood thinners to Boots. He has been put on different medication and no longer will need these.

Boots refused to take them saying, that they had been inundated with returned meds, and to try another pharmacy.

Has anyone else come across this?

Nannan2 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:04:18

Its not a case of 'stockpiling'Nina,but if you've changed any meds when you've just received a prescription, or been taken off one for another etc., then yes you have some leftover to dispose of.I find its best to return to chemist where they issued them in first place, usually, but don't know during the pandemic what the advice is really- i don't know what they expect us to do with them otherwise? Except contact the hospital, who could incinerate them probably?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 03-Oct-20 11:45:33

We had the same problem as the OP with Lloyds. When we tried to return some prescription items (dispensed by that branch of Lloyds) for disposal after MIL died, they refused to take them. We took them to a local independent pharmacy who accepted them straight away. This was before the pandemic.

I would always try to support an independent pharmacy when I can, rather than these chains who don't seem to care about service, just about making money.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 03-Oct-20 12:32:36

Yes, I had this in Sainsbury’s pharmacy. They did take them in the end, because when they told me to dispose of them safely, I asked how I was supposed to do that! I couldn’t really see how it was unsafe to take them. They went into a tray, and the assistant wore gloves.

FindingNemo15 Sat 03-Oct-20 12:39:24

This week our local independent chemist took some medication for disposal and I dropped off two pairs of glasses at the opticians for collection by the Rotary Club.

Jane10 Sat 03-Oct-20 13:15:35

The thread is a coincidence. I was just wondering what to do with two unopened packs of v strong opioid painkillers I was given on discharge after my knee replacements. I expect they have a good 'street value'! I just don't want them in our cupboard and know you're not supposed to flush them down the loo.

pigsmayfly. Sat 03-Oct-20 14:09:26

I have worked in the pharmacy at Boots. My instructions were to accept back all unused medication unless they were controlled drugs in which case the pharmacist would have to deal with them separately. So I don’t know why they would refuse them

suziewoozie Sat 03-Oct-20 14:29:49

I remember when Boots was a bit of a flagship chain. Then it was eventually sold to a private equity firm who completely restructured it financially so that it runs at a loss and therefore pays no corporation tax. No idea about Lloyd’s and Superdrug.

Auntieflo Sat 03-Oct-20 17:09:18

I did email Boots, and have had a reply asking for the location of the store. Accordingly, they will ask the manager to contact us .
Now I just wanted to know whether they were obliged to take back unused meds. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, as I know how busy they have all been lately. So do I keep quiet?

Jane10, a couple of years ago, I returned some opiate drugs and a book had to be filled in with all the details, name address etc. I was surprised at how it was dealt with, and seemingly a very serious matter.

MayBee70 Sun 04-Oct-20 00:37:37

You need to tell them. It isn’t getting people into trouble but making the store function more efficiently.