Gransnet forums

Health

DH - tried - to get a flu jab

(107 Posts)
M0nica Sun 11-Oct-20 11:49:36

Our surgery, in their wisdom decided that flu jabs for the over 65s would be available at one clinic only and named the day as today from 8.00- 10.00pm. The jab is done through an open window at the back of the surgery.

When DH arrived, just before 10.00am the queue stretched for over 400 yards and was still growing rapidly. He turned round came home and will pay to have his flu jab at a pharmacy later this week.

The surgery has 13 GPs, although a couple are part time, so it has a large number of people on its list and a good proportion will be over 65. What you do if you cannot get there has not been explained. It was take it or leave it.

I am currently so p*ssed off with the NHS. DD was nearly collateral damage during lockdown because her GP forgot to order a crucial test. When she finally got it, she was found to be very seriously ill. Now our surgery run flu jabs, so essential in the current situation, entirely for their convenience, leaving older people queueing for hours, thankfully, in sunny dry weather, but the surgery did not know how the weather would be when they chose the date.

I feel we are being treated like sheep, fit only for slaughter.

Cindersdad Tue 20-Oct-20 08:10:11

I find our GP's service lacking. We got Flu jabs at Boots but a couple of days after we got our appointment they stopped taking anymore. Despite living in a Tier-3 area the hosptial clinics and appointments have been there if needed and precautions excellent.

Some GP facities are very good and some not so good. We have good Doctors and not so patient friendly facilities.

PollyDolly Tue 20-Oct-20 08:23:20

Our GP practice are very good. I had a recent telephone Asthma review with a nurse practioner. During the conversation I mentioned something that was concerning me; the Nurse arranged for a telephone consultation with a GP within a day. Had the telephone consultation and the GP decided that I needed to be seen in person and arranged for an appointment the same afternoon.
Naturally, we have to wait outside until they phone our mobiles - ok if you're in a car, not so if you walk there - otherwise a great service in extremely difficult circumstances! GP's, Nurses, HCA's and reception staff are only human, they have families too and deserve to be able to protect themselves and others!

Gingster Tue 20-Oct-20 08:27:18

Didn’t realise how lucky Dh and I were. I phoned surgery in the morning for a pneumonia jab . Got an appointment that afternoon. No one at all in the waiting room. Went in at appointed time and had the jabs. The nurse asked if we wanted out flu jabs while we were there. Yes please. All done in 10 mins.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Oct-20 09:24:57

Some posters seem to have the idea that pharmacies charge everyone for the vaccination service.

They don’t. If you’re entitled to a free jab at the surgery, you pay nothing at a pharmacy either.

No conspiracy theories required! smile

Kate1949 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:21:01

Thanks everyone

SueDonim Tue 20-Oct-20 14:23:11

The flu jab system in my area is a disaster zone! People have been sent letters for appointments that were for days prior or they’ve not had letters at all. Now, the people who missed out or had late letters are being told to turn up on the days when other people, like my Dh and me, already have appointments booked.

And if you’ve got an appointment you can‘t attend, there’s a number to call to rebook except that yesterday, they changed the number but unless you happen to be on Facebook you won’t know that.

I just hope it isn’t going to be raining on Friday as I suspect we might have a long wait outside.