Gransnet forums

Health

Do you worry about your health?

(144 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Sun 11-Oct-20 19:05:37

I’m interested to know how much other Gransnetters are concerned about their health. I’m 63 and as far as I know reasonably fit and healthy but have very severe health anxiety. Every blemish or mark on my skin, every unusual pain is the harbinger of some awful illness (usually cancer). It’s getting worse as I get older and realise that I’m at the age when things start going wrong. I marvel at how other people get on with things and don’t let the fear of serious illness blight their lives. They have the attitude that they’re ok at that moment and if they something wrong they’ll deal with it then. And not catastrophise over every little symptom, which is what I do. I have a season ticket to the doctors!

Please tell me how you manage your health concerns and cope with getting older. I feel utterly defeated by this and it would help so much to know that I don’t have to live like this.

Spangler Mon 12-Oct-20 08:07:44

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Oct-20 07:56:25
I think it is normal to be more concerned about your health as you age, because not to put too fine a point on it the next illness could be your last.

I do think that Miss Adventure's advice makes sense.
MissAdventure Sun 11-Oct-20 19:15:39
Apart from that, is there any illness which is prevented or helped by worrying?

Whenever I get in the car I don't worry that this could be my last journey, but it could. There's so much to worry about. Smoking kills you, (I don't) alcohol kills you, processed foods are dangerous, we eat too much salt, too much sugar.

I've come to the conclusion that the biggest cause of death, is life.

Gingster Mon 12-Oct-20 08:13:22

Like Bluebelle I don’t worry and think it will go away on its own. Given time, it usually does. Hardly ever go to the docs _ such a waste of time! Better things to do which will take my mind off it. Of course if things persist, get checked out.

Urmstongran Mon 12-Oct-20 08:18:29

That made me laugh WW a good start to the day - thank you!
?

Witzend Mon 12-Oct-20 08:31:54

Not too much, except for my greatest fear - dementia. My mother showed the first signs in her very early 80s and went on to 97, a most pitiful wreck for her last few years, and hardly ever happy or contented for several years before that. ?

Hence very strict instructions in my Health and Welfare power of attorney in the event of my becoming mentally or physically incapable, or both. Except for e.g. fractures, no medical or surgical interventions in the event that Nature might be trying to let me go.

Jaxjacky Mon 12-Oct-20 08:33:58

MaggieTulliver I’m better that I was 6 months ago after a course of CBT, but it still lurks, I was fine until taken ill abroad 2 years ago. Covid hasn’t helped, but in a way it did, as I undertook a course of CBT which taught me some coping strategies, that and a low dose of a beta blocker.

MerylStreep Mon 12-Oct-20 08:42:51

My Sister in laws Dr suggested that she see a psychiatrist when she presented at his surgery on crutches. This was after years of imaginary illnesses.
As you can imagine that didn't go down well. She then bought herself a wheelchair and has used it for years.

Parky Mon 12-Oct-20 09:09:08

I was one of those happy fit people on no meds until I hit 69 then everything went wrong. What i thought was some sort of tummy flu and took pain killers and bed rest for for 3 days until pain so bad went to doctors. Emergency admission for ruptured, gangreneous appendix, surgery for removal, serious infection 2 weeks in hospital.

Fully recovered and given all clear after 6 months started back in gym, huge incisional rupture, more surgery.

Recovered and back to normal. Six months later stage III breast cancer, mascetomy and radiotherapy, refused chemotherapy.

2 years on have developed severe oa in knees.

BUT life is good have a lovely hubby and family, no money worries and do not worry about health. Have decided if any cancer returns or any major health problems occur I will refuse treatment. This means when I get niggles I don't care just crack on with my life.

Try and do the same it is very liberating

PinkCakes Mon 12-Oct-20 09:09:09

MaggieTulliver I never worry about my health - at 61, the only medication I'm on is one antidepressant (for long-term depression). My BP is fine, my cholesterol is low (3.2) but I am too fat, so I ought to do something about that.

Perhaps you might benefit from antidepressants/something for your anxiety? I see you're starting CBT, so I hope that goes well for you.

Urmstongran Mon 12-Oct-20 09:11:26

Are you saying the wheelchair isn’t really needed it’s her hypochondria calling for it?
?

Urmstongran Mon 12-Oct-20 09:11:56

Sorry, that was for MerylStreep!

henetha Mon 12-Oct-20 09:25:32

A certain amount of worry is natural, but if it overwhelms you then it's a problem and a waste of what could otherwise be a happy life.
I started to worry about my health at your age, thinking I was bound to fall apart soon, but twenty years later I am still here.
I bet you will be too. Good luck.

BlueSky Mon 12-Oct-20 09:26:53

Hetty58
I worried about my health (every little thing) as a young adult but 'transferred' all those concerns to my children when they came along.
Hetty that happened to me as well and now it’s the grandchildren!

RillaofIngleside Mon 12-Oct-20 09:56:00

Have you always been like this? I have always been quite happy go lucky and positive until I was put on statins, and suffered with excessive health anxiety for 3 years. When i stopped taking them it gradually disappeared, and I am fine again now. It was caused by low cholesterol I believe, I have researched it since. My sister, a doctor, had a similar problem with a different medication. It might be worth reviewing any medication. It is very difficult to be anxious, because you know its irrational but no one can really help, you can't just stop. If not drug induced or hormonal, perhaps some cognitive behaviour therapy would help?

Soozikinzi Mon 12-Oct-20 09:56:52

My husband has health anxiety but he has An irregular heart beat which led To two strokes and a TIA so I suppose it’s not without cause . But I do see the toll it takes on everyday life worrying about every symptom . A friend of ours divorced his wife because her health anxiety was so severe it was classed as internet health anxiety only the top psychiatrist in the area would treat her because she accused the doctors of ignoring her . She spent tens of thousands on treatments abroad.
My husband has counselling on the phone once a fortnight which is very helpful. I am the opposite following my mother who smoked and drank and lived to 92 who avoided doctors As much as possible because ‘you go in about one thing and then they find a few more ! ‘

Juicylucy Mon 12-Oct-20 09:57:38

I’m to busy living my life and fitting as much in as possible while I’m in good health to worry about getting a nasty disease. I’m 64 and do have osteoarthritis in my knee but at my age it’s to be expected. I feel worrying will make you feel worse. I have a friend who’s always got something wrong with her and was at Drs every week she loves the attention it’s sad because obviously she has an underlying issue.

Outofstepwithhumanity Mon 12-Oct-20 09:59:13

I could have written your post. Are you on your own MaggieTulliver? I don’t just worry about my health, but catastrophise almost every situation - What if.......? It seems to be getting worse. I’m sure that everything is far more scary when you live on your own & see very few people day to day.

MerylStreep Mon 12-Oct-20 10:00:55

Urmstongran
Yes. I have sent you a PM.

crazygranny Mon 12-Oct-20 10:04:34

I do sympathise. Like you I tend to invent catastrophies, but usually they are my worries for the times when my grandchildren are in my care. Finally I realised that these are simply projections and that I was sacrificing huge amounts of joy to things that existed only in my imagination. All that matters is what's here and now and those are the words I repeat to myself when I am drawn to imagined fears. By setting my focus to 'right here, right now' is the only way I can be sure that I have my full attention on keeping my grandchildren safe and happy. Hope that helps. x

Theoddbird Mon 12-Oct-20 10:07:39

I am heading for 70. I lift weights and do a half hour walkasize most days. This has progressed to couch to 5k. Ok I do it on the spot as weather has not been good. I am determined to keep fit. Have yo say that the walkasize DVD...Lesley Sansone has really helped my back and joints loosen... x

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 12-Oct-20 10:13:39

I'm sorry you feel so anxious OP. A PP has asked how you'd cope if a real illness came along and you probably would cope all right especially if the proper emotional support was in place in addition to the medical aspect.

I've already dealt with two horrible things. I lost my DH nearly ten years ago to MND and five years ago I had cancer. We got marvellous help from the relevant organisations. I call myself a survivor. I worry a little about the cancer coming back but there's little I can do but lead a healthy lifestyle.

Sometimes the ghastly things which happen to us are those which never occur to our worried minds.

Kate1949 Mon 12-Oct-20 10:14:54

I'm the same MaggieTulliver. It's no fun is it? In fact it's distressing. Mine is so bad now, if anyone on TV is talking about anything medical, I change the channel - quite difficult in the middle of a pandemic.

Newatthis Mon 12-Oct-20 10:15:14

You know you can go to the gym, eat organically, become a vegan, don't use chemicals etc etc which are all very good for you, we all know that, but worry and stress are known to cause cancer so stop worrying. I look at it this way - I do all of the above but I also know that there is a time and date when my time is up and that could be anything from slipping on a matchstick to something more nasty. You have no control of your end date but you do have control over your mental well being and giving yourself the best life ever.

Saggi Mon 12-Oct-20 10:19:04

I have three prolapsed discs in my lower spine ...an arthritic knee and shoulder and thumb....I’ve had two strokes.. none of this stops me or makes me think every pain is fatal. I have lived with pain since the first disc went at 21....I’ve lived with fear of stroke since the first one hit at 35! It is nothing to do with age . I swim 3 times a week( pre Covid)...I walk 3 miles a day. You really are as ill as you consider yourself to be. Don’t give fear houseroom!

Missingmoominmama Mon 12-Oct-20 10:20:29

Meryl, my doctor suggested that my pain and lack of mobility was hypochondria, but referred me to the practice physio with a roll of his eyes. They actually looked at my X-ray and were astonished that I was still working because my hip had deteriorated so much due to osteoarthritis. One replacement later and I’m a new woman! They questioned the Dr, who had supposed that I was too young for a replacement hmm.

nipsmum Mon 12-Oct-20 10:27:00

I know I am being facetious, but I've been getting older since the day I was born, like everyone else. My mother's saying was " if you worry you die, if you don't worry you die so why worry". I'm happy to live with that. I have diabetes, diverticular disease, I've suffered Asthma most of my life and I've got to nearly 80 yoa so I'm not going to start worrying now.