Gransnet forums

Health

Can't get flu jab

(136 Posts)
Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 08:58:28

DH and I had texts from the surgery late September, telling us that flu jabs would take place on each Saturday in October, and that we would be given an appointment.
The four Saturdays have now gone, and no appointment for either of us. We are late sixties and mid seventies.
I tried to book a private jab at Boots, only to find that Boots appear to have run out of the vaccine.
Anyone else experienced this?

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 11-Nov-20 16:05:01

watermeadow

I’ve stopped even trying to get a flu jab after reading that this year’s vaccine is less than 50% effective. Some years it’s completely ineffective.
As someone who knows the difference between a bad cold and flu I know I’ve only had flu three times in a long life.

The vaccine must be changed each year, in hopes of matching the ever-mutating viruses. On average, it's been 40% effective, meaning it's prevented illness 40% of the time.

This doesn't really bother me. I decided last year (age 70) to start to have it. Having had flu only once in my life (I was about 50) I don't want at this age. Even is if it 40% effective.

maddyone Wed 11-Nov-20 14:47:55

Antonia my doctor son in law told me it’s better to have the flu jab later, as the best protection is two weeks after the jab for the next three months. If you have it in September, the protection is already waning by February, and there’s often a lot of flu about in February. For this reason I never get my jab until at least late October and preferably early November.

Alishka Wed 11-Nov-20 14:42:03

Well! My friendly GP's just called round, totally unexpectedly - flu jab now crossed off my listsmile

I asked him if there were many Covid + patients presenting at the surgery - he said that there had been a few since March. Interestingly, back then he'd tested positive for antibodies, he'd no idea.

He also said that he'd never been on a March in his life but was prepared to go on one now in protest at this Govt's handling of the Pandemic.

Sunlover Tue 10-Nov-20 13:49:45

I just popped into my chemist on the high street and asked if I could book a flu jab. They did it there and then. I had to sit there for 10 mins afterwards as it was my first ever flu jab.

annodomini Tue 10-Nov-20 10:35:35

Our practice is now in a group with three others and flu vaccination sessions have been each Saturday on a three-centre rota. I was getting a bit concerned that I hadn't been called for a jab in our local centre, so rang up to check that I was on the list. The next session was to be on the only Saturday I couldn't attend, but I was given an appointment for that very week in a neighbouring centre. It was in the town hall: in one door, hand sanitiser, name check, job done, out the other door. That quickly, and, of course, all masked. If all practices followed this model, no-one would be writing on this thread.

watermeadow Tue 10-Nov-20 09:43:04

I’ve stopped even trying to get a flu jab after reading that this year’s vaccine is less than 50% effective. Some years it’s completely ineffective.
As someone who knows the difference between a bad cold and flu I know I’ve only had flu three times in a long life.

Esspee Mon 09-Nov-20 16:22:23

I got my jab at the weekend, at long last. Had been told that it could no longer by done at my health centre. It would be done somewhere that you entered one door had the jab and exited by another door.
Well it was done in my health centre out of hours, I was taken to an office, given the injection and on the way out given a page of important things to read before agreeing to treatment, left via the same door I came in briefly trapped inside a double door system where the ladies going in stopped me to ask if they were at the right place.
Well done Greater Glasgow Health Board.

Kate1949 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:42:42

All the pharmacies around here now have replenished their stocks. You can just walk in, no appointment necessary. I had mine on Tuesday.

Antonia Fri 06-Nov-20 12:43:54

Just got the text this morning, appointment on 14th November. Better late than never.

maddyone Fri 06-Nov-20 12:03:48

We both had ours last week. No problem to book, just rang the surgery, although they did run out of the vaccine in September, but are restocked now. I had a bit of an aching arm for a couple of days, but no other side effects. My husband had no side effects.

nannyof4 Fri 06-Nov-20 11:53:18

We have been waiting since end of October and yes we are on the list for it,we called the drs surgery on Monday to find out when to expect it and was told it will be soon,not a date or anything and we are 70s hubby more at risk than me with health problems.

Esspee Tue 27-Oct-20 18:03:18

At last, I’ve received my appointment letter. I get my jab next week.
Poor show Glasgow.

GrauntyHelen Tue 27-Oct-20 17:33:04

Jabs being delivered by health board here knowing that they could not organise a piss up in a brewery I made appointments at Lloyds chemist we both had age appropriate jab a fortnight ago When it comes to health you have to be proactive

Aepgirl Tue 27-Oct-20 11:43:15

I was contacted by my GP, booked an appointment, and had mine a couple of weeks ago. My daughter and her husband go to a different surgery. He is ‘vulnerable’ and my daughter therefore has a vulnerable husband. They are in their mid-40s and have both had their jabs this week.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:05:32

None sure that is terribly advisable to be honest.

We are doing it to try to protect the NHS as well as ourselves.

I had the jab a couple of weeks ago and slept all day the next day but DH had no reaction at all.

Reaction to the jab isn’t remotely like actual flu

Omits01 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:02:00

Well, I had a jab two years ago and then got the worst attack of my life! It was 99% likely IMO due to the jab (reaction to). So I don't take up the offer now. Thinking about it if we are all taking extreme care not to get the nasty little fellows calling then it is unlikely we will catch ordinary 'flu.

[Hmm}

MissAdventure Tue 27-Oct-20 09:55:29

Thank you, Marmardoit. smile

Annapops Tue 27-Oct-20 08:40:16

I would definitely use Boots again. We had our flu jab in Sept. I had booked as soon as I saw them advertise a booking system on their website for when the vaccine would become available. We had both the flu jab and pneumonia jab within a week of each other with no problems. There were no queues, just us, straight in and out. When we went for our pneumonia jab at the end of September, I did see a notice on the counter saying they could add no more appointments to their current list. This was the end of September. Pleased I booked so early.

Mamardoit Tue 27-Oct-20 05:21:32

I would certainly say it doesn't hurt. Having a blood pressure check is worse.

It really does take just a second. I had mine last week. It all worked like clockwork and they got over 200 people through in a session. DH was called for his early on because he is older with other problems but I did have ring a few times to get a slot.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Oct-20 00:53:47

I'm a bit scared of having it. People always say these things don't hurt, but...

BStP Tue 27-Oct-20 00:38:08

DH aged 66 had his injection in Sept at the request of the gp. I usually get an invite for a flu jab too but was told that this year due to shortages and fact I am under 65 I was not eligible. I eventually had mine at Lloys chemist 10 days ago. I was lucky as friend who had appointment the next day at the same chemist had her appointment cancelled as they had run out of supplies

pengwen Mon 26-Oct-20 23:14:00

We booked an appointment for last week ,booked online in September.( Usually can book most appointments like this but only flu vaccine for now).
Excellent ,organisation great,done in a church hall which is a large space.
A nurse and doctor giving the vaccine,health care assistants checking temperature and asking if anyone had symptoms,receptionist checking everyone in.
Happy with service here.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Oct-20 23:09:00

Jab! Jab! angry
I never believed people who claimed their phones changed words, but now mine does.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Oct-20 23:07:46

I have been very lucky then.
I phoned my doctors on Wednesday last week, and have my Jan this Thursday. (I've never had one before)

Happysexagenarian Mon 26-Oct-20 23:05:08

I received a letter in September asking me to phone for an appointment, I did and was given an appointment for the following week. I enquired if my husband would be sent a letter and she said "Oh I'll book him in now if you like" His appointment was the week after mine. Apparently our medical practice has ample supplies of vaccine, and the local pharmacy is practically dragging people in off the street as they have plenty to go around. It seems availability of supplies varies considerably from one area to another.