Gransnet forums

Health

Can't get flu jab

(135 Posts)
Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 08:58:28

DH and I had texts from the surgery late September, telling us that flu jabs would take place on each Saturday in October, and that we would be given an appointment.
The four Saturdays have now gone, and no appointment for either of us. We are late sixties and mid seventies.
I tried to book a private jab at Boots, only to find that Boots appear to have run out of the vaccine.
Anyone else experienced this?

Willow73 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:03:45

Try going to an independent chemist, everyone goes to the large super stores maybe they can help you.

mokryna Mon 26-Oct-20 09:05:15

There is a shortage in France also. I had my jab last week but both DD and DGD, although they have their papers, are having to wait a couple of weeks.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:05:23

I think tbh you need to be more pro+active. I was told the same by my surgery but waited for a couple of weeks then phoned again and got an appointment.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:06:43

Can you get a prescription from your Dr. and go to your pharmacy. That’s what my DH did one year and they did the flu jab.

Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 09:07:27

I'm going to ring the surgery and see what they say.

cornergran Mon 26-Oct-20 09:09:01

Have you tried phoning your surgery antonia? It’s possible your appointments have been overlooked. Our surgery will book nurse appointment for anyone qualifying for a jab who was either missed or couldn’t attend the mass vaccination sessions. Otherwise try Lloyds (either phone or go in) if there is one near you, ours is booking appointments again. Good luck. It’s stress anyone can do without at the moment.

cornergran Mon 26-Oct-20 09:09:31

Sorry antonia, crossed posts.

crazyH Mon 26-Oct-20 09:09:46

I really think you should have rung for an appointment rather than wait for them to ring you. Having said that, I made an appointment for last Thursday and when I went to the Surgery, they told me my name was not on the list, but to be fair, they gave me an appointment for later that afternoon.
I don't see why you should have to pay, but of course, if you have no choice and if you can afford it, why not.
Btw, I hope you have put your name down in Boots.

Shandy57 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:09:52

I've just phoned the doctor and as I'm not in high risk have been told to go to the chemist. Apparently you have to phone for a telephone consultation first.

Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 09:17:07

The message in September told us not to ring for an appointment, as they would call us.
I have just tried to call the surgery. After five minutes of recorded messages, I was number 21 in the queue! That would probably mean well over an hour's wait, which I won't do. It's probably 21 other people ringing to ask about their flu jab!

Shandy57 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:18:57

Just phoned the chemist, they've run out of 'under 65' vax, and recommended I try the doctor!

Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 09:24:58

I've joined the waiting list for Boots' flu jab. Will try ringing the surgery again later on.

crazyH Mon 26-Oct-20 09:26:31

My advice would be to go to the Surgery rather than phone. It's Monday morning, so, the queue will probably be long but at least you will able to talk to the Receptionist and hopefully get an appointment. Good luck !

Esspee Mon 26-Oct-20 09:29:27

I’m still waiting for my appointment letter. Disgraceful. Any other year I would have had mine ages ago.

Grannynannywanny Mon 26-Oct-20 09:31:27

Our normally smooth running GP practice flu jab sessions have been taken over by Public Health. I was told don’t phone, you’ll receive a letter.
My letter arrived in the post last week at lunchtime. The appointment was for 8.45am that day! When I phoned to say the letter arrived 4 hrs after the appointment time I was told there had been a problem with their system and it involved a large number of patients. I managed to get one in Boots.

Grannybags Mon 26-Oct-20 09:38:10

Since Covid you are not allowed to visit our GP surgery without an appointment and have to phone. I was 9th in the queue.

Monday is always really busy to I would wait till tomorrow and try phoning again. Good Luck!

Grannynannywanny Mon 26-Oct-20 09:40:34

CrazyH our health centre has been locked since March and absolutely no admission unless invited following a phone consultation. The health centre website advice page says do not come to the health centre unless instructed to do so. And do not phone unless it’s urgent.
There must be so many people at home ignoring/putting up with potentially serious symptoms. Particularly those who fall into the “don’t want to be a nuisance” category.

Kate1949 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:41:55

I can't get one either. I am on waiting lists at GP, two local pharmacies, Boots, Tesco and Asda. No luck.

Lilyflower Mon 26-Oct-20 09:59:32

I contacted my local GP's surgery and, consequently, one of the doctors came out and jabbed all we village oldies in the Scout Hut car park. Brilliant service. Go the NHS!

Daisymae Mon 26-Oct-20 10:01:05

I would have waited in the telephone queue. They tend to move quickly and if you really want to get this organised?

maddyone Mon 26-Oct-20 10:03:58

We’ve both got an appointment on Thursday this week for our flu jabs. The surgery did run out of jabs but has now got more in.

Rowsie Mon 26-Oct-20 10:05:19

It seems to be a different thing with each doctors surgery. I had a phone call from my surgery and had the jab and a meeting with the nurse within a week. At my sisters surgery they had like a conveyor belt going where they walked in one door, were injected and sent straight out another door.

tanith Mon 26-Oct-20 10:06:21

I got a text from the GP and had it on a Saturday back in Sept.

Puzzler61 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:06:49

Have you got a Superdrug nearby Antonia ? They are doing a walk in vaccination service for NHS (free if you’re in the categorised age group/ qualifying conditions).
Also in our area we have a Tesco with in-store pharmacy and my SIL had one there (he paid as he doesn’t qualify for a free one).