Gransnet forums

Health

New Zealand has held a referendum on Euthanasia

(133 Posts)
Oopsadaisy4 Fri 30-Oct-20 08:36:02

It looks as though it will become law when the postal votes are counted.

After our Brexit referendum and the way it split the Country, I was wondering if a referendum on Euthanasia would be a good idea?

I would vote for it.

Panda25 Fri 30-Oct-20 10:16:13

I am a Christian but having worked as a counsellor for MND Scotland I can see the need for it. Even with palliative care people with this disease still suffer very painful deaths. Many talk of suicide before the suffering starts. Providing it is well regulated I would agree with it. People need a peaceful painless death

Blinko Fri 30-Oct-20 10:16:30

I'd vote for it, too. We should have the right to choose.

Omits01 Fri 30-Oct-20 10:18:18

There should be a vote. I don't need the government to tell me when to Eat, Drink, be Merry and Die.

Blossoming Fri 30-Oct-20 10:18:23

I’m undecided. I’m not sure I’d still be here if this had been law when I was extremely ill many years ago. I have watched loved ones suffer and agree it is horrible.

Esspee Fri 30-Oct-20 10:19:51

Spangler. At the moment it is the rich who have the option (to travel to Switzerland) and the poor who have to endure untold agonies and loss of dignity at the end of their life.

Phloembundle Fri 30-Oct-20 10:20:58

The problem we have nowadays is the amoral part of society where people murder others without a single thought. Euthanasia has always gone on quietly, but never openly discussed. Compassionate doctors administered a cocktail of drugs to terminally ill patients to help them on their way.

GrannyAnnie2010 Fri 30-Oct-20 10:25:56

This bill would give us a choice.

Esspee Fri 30-Oct-20 10:26:00

MacCavity2 I am not afraid of pain, it is the loss of dignity that frightens me. Having seen my aunt go down that miserable path to dementia whilst still as fit as a fiddle I cannot understand how anyone thinks it is humane to allow that to happen to a loved one who has clearly expressed a wish to die if they ever reached that stage.

NanaNeets Fri 30-Oct-20 10:29:25

I have terminal bladder cancer and I have helped “Dying in Dignity” with their campaigns... its not euthanasia, its assisted dying!! Its not for everyone which is fine but we should have a choice when living with a terminal disease... my life, my choice! I have worked takin fb care of those who are dying with cancer and some deaths are not pain free and peaceful. Imagine how it would feel if every time you moved or someone touched you, you scream out in pain... you get to the point where you sleep a lot and rely on drugs to help the pain, it doesn’t take it all away... I never want to be in that situation, And why be sedated?? You aren’t goi not to wake up and jump out of bed, why can’t we choose?

Dee1012 Fri 30-Oct-20 10:32:05

Without going into any detail, both of my parents suffered terrible deaths and quite simply if I'd have allowed what occurred to them, to have happened to one of my pet's, I'd have been prosecuted.
The suffering they both experienced both physical and mental was horrendous.
There needs to be a well regulated system in place.

kelseylee01 Fri 30-Oct-20 10:34:36

I live in NZ and we are so happy this new law passed, there are strict regulations around it and will be in the last 6 months of life, such a sensible law no one wants to see their loved ones suffer

polnan Fri 30-Oct-20 10:49:34

I have often thought yes to euthenasia..

however as I have got older I do wonder if I would have the necessary to actually do it.

my dh and I have both lodged legal letters with our gp , not to resuscitate, or prolong life..

when he died, in hospital, last November, bit complicated, but though he had several "complaints" heart, copd etc, I was told he was coming home, then he died..

Hospital decided to have an investigation, ,very upsetting, but it turns out that they were merely investigating how they had dealt with his "unexpected" death, he was 84 for goodness sake, and had been in and out the hospitals for some time! Seems they had not followed some procedure, and the letter! lodged with GP had not been shown in their records... that upset me as much as anything, well not quite , but you know what I mean,, what is the point if they then ignore or don`t have all this stuff on the NHS computer! just sharing....

BStP Fri 30-Oct-20 10:50:41

I too would vote for it provided the regulations were clear, despite being a Christian. Is it Christian to let people suffer so?

Braganza Fri 30-Oct-20 10:50:57

I am so heartened to see that the majority of GNers on here are in favour of a change in the law - I hope it happens here (in the UK) before my turn comes!

silverlining48 Fri 30-Oct-20 10:53:57

I would vote for this choice and hope when my time comes that I will not have to suffer unduly or choose to travel to a n anonymous flat on Switzerland to die alone.
It gives hope and control to all to have the option to end what may be unbearable , Or not to choose, as the case may be.

dolphindaisy Fri 30-Oct-20 10:54:48

People often argue that we wouldn't let a dog suffer the way some humans suffer, but I always think a lot of dogs have been put down because they are inconvenient, that's why I'm unsure about euthanasia being made legal. However I do know that if myself or anyone I love was terminally ill and in terrible pain I would hope for a "cocktail" from a sympathetic doctor. I therefore think the regulations in NZ are something I would probably vote for.

Riverwalk Fri 30-Oct-20 11:00:36

Be careful what you wish for, especially in these times of pandemic.

The system would be about as fair and efficient as Track & Trace.

As Spangler said, the Liverpool Care Pathway was abused and miss-applied.

Hellsbelles Fri 30-Oct-20 11:00:43

For people saying they feel strongly in it - there is a website called dignityindying.org.uk which is worth a read. A few weeks ago it gave a link to ask people to get their MP to attend an online gov debate on it. I sent the supplied email to get a reply from mine saying he was already booked in for another debate.

Aepgirl Fri 30-Oct-20 11:08:30

I think a law in favour of euthanasia could be so abused. There are always people who beat the system, no matter how many safeguards are in place.

I can see how it would be a blessing in so many situations, but it could also be a way of relatives getting what they want, not what is best.

Alexa Fri 30-Oct-20 11:11:52

I have been sending a monthly direct debit to Dignity in Dying for more than 25 years. I believe doctors' patients should have the right to choose when and how they die.

I do not do as my doctor or dentist says until I have thought about it and consented.

Spice101 Fri 30-Oct-20 11:13:07

Oppsadaisy some States in Australia have legalised euthanasia. We do in Victoria but there are something like 63 (if my memory serves me correctly) criteria that must be met so it is not quite as simple as one may think.

leeds22 Fri 30-Oct-20 11:15:13

I would vote for it. My aunt was dying of cancer recently and the GP left her with enough morphine to take an overdose when it got too much, allowing her to die peacefully.

Alexa Fri 30-Oct-20 11:16:22

Aepgirl, if that is what you want you can always leave it to the doctor to decide when and how you die, just as it is at present.

However people of your opinion, and also a few religious fanatics in the House of Lords, should not be able to decide how and when I choose to die, as that is my business.

Spice101 Fri 30-Oct-20 11:16:36

A lot of the arguement against is that "we" are playing God. Isn't that what is happening when people are kept alive for the sake of being kept alive?

Alexa Fri 30-Oct-20 11:18:24

Leeds, I applaud that doctor. However do please remember when taking a lethal dose, to take also some pill that will stop nausea.