Gransnet forums

Health

Amitriptyline - any experience?

(30 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 30-Oct-20 08:50:14

Hello to everyone
I've got osteoarthritis and possible (probable) spinal lumbar stenosis.
I'm still waiting for my MRI report.
I'm in considerable pain and my mobility is awful.

Anyway, to cut to the chase - I'm currently taking naproxen and tramodol for pain relief.
The consultant I have seen has suggested Amitriptyline 10 mg as an alternative to opiates.
He also said that it would improve my sleep, which is another issue.

From what I can make out it's a strange drug, originally an antidepressant, and it can take up to six weeks to get into your system and to start working.
But I need pain relief now, so I'm unsure what to do really confused
Obviously, I will call my GP to discuss this (it's already been prescribed,) but in the meantime, I wondered if anyone would be as kind as to share their experiences with Amitriptyline.
Thank you very much smile

Harris27 Fri 30-Oct-20 19:40:43

I take it for anxiety and it helps me sleep. But I sometimes do have rather disturbing dreams but nit enough for me to stop taking it as my anxiety was due to some traumatic time I was having and I wasn’t sleeping at all till I took this. I didn’t know it was prescribed for pain and I’m surprised as I’ve got Avery bad arthritic hip and wake some nights with the pain.

FannyCornforth Fri 30-Oct-20 19:45:05

Harris oddly enough (and also conversely), I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder over twenty years ago, but have only ever been prescribed antidepressants.
Sounds like it could be a panacea for us! smile

FannyCornforth Fri 30-Oct-20 19:47:59

Harris - sorry, the amitriptyline has been prescribed for nerve pain, not osteoarthritis.
It's sooo complicated isn't it confused

Barmeyoldbat Sat 31-Oct-20 16:54:50

Amitripryline is a medication prescribed for depression but it was found that the part of the brain that it works on is also the part for back pain. So hey it is now prescribed as a pain killer for back pain. You usually take it at night as it makes you sleepy but my Dr has told me I can try taking it different times of the day, so I am at the moment taking 50mg at night and 10mg at lunch time when my back does start to give me pain if I lift a kettle, stand around etc. I am on day 3 at the moment I have felt ok, not been sleepy at all.