Gransnet forums

Health

Tumeric for joint pain

(73 Posts)
Flaxseed Fri 30-Oct-20 19:44:21

Has anyone tried it?
I have noticed my knees gradually getting weaker and more painful despite trying to build up muscle by exercising regularly.
I’m still in full time work with 4.5 yrs until retirement and am struggling!

I have heard it can really help with joint pain. Does anyone have any experience of using this please?

Puzzler61 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:03:41

I take 2 capsules a day (it includes black pepper for absorption). Arthritis pain is definitely less and I would like to think it is thanks to this. Only downside of the capsules - they are large and I find them quite difficult to swallow. Cheapest way to buy is online in large quantities (but from a company with good trustpilot reviews - too many fake products out there).

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:03:55

Turmeric has worked marvels for me, have to admit my joints are a problem but would they be worse without? My immune system has improved since taking Turmeric. Though i had Pneumonia last year, I recovered quickly. My skin would split (from too many steroids), I no longer carry plasters everywhere. My skin is now quite normal.
I would certainly recommend taking it, I just get it from H & B

Grandmafrench Sat 31-Oct-20 11:06:07

NemosMum

You would have to take 2 tablespoons of turmeric every day to have any effect. Glucosamine has only placebo effect. HRT has been shown to be beneficial for knee osteoarthritis, if you happen to be taking it for other reasons, but it would be an 'off-label' use if you were to ask your doctor. Exercise has about the best effect of all - little and often!

Glucosamine has only placebo effect !
For whom?

Loobs Sat 31-Oct-20 11:08:49

See the Turmeric Support Group on Facebook. I have been making my own turmeric paste for over a year now and take it in my coffee every morning plus in soup at lunch time. I hate the taste and haven't found a way to take it in the evening yet!!! It is made from turmeric powder, black pepper and either olive oil or coconut oil. The facebook page is excellent because they will check that there is no problem for you taking it with your current medication - loads of info on there. It has helped me with general aches and pains (CBD oil helps enormously with sleep).

Ampersand Sat 31-Oct-20 11:17:27

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis about 8 years ago and had an arthroscopy which helped with the pain which was 11 on a scale of 10 -after he op it decreased to about 6. The surgeon told me she would see me in a couple of years for knee replacement.
Between 6&7 years ago I started taking Turmeric with black pepper. I buy Prowise Turmeric from Amazon £9.99 for 120 capsules and my pain is now between 0 & 1 every day -I'll never stop taking them and hopefully avoid having knees replaced. Hope whichever brand you buy works as well for you

Nanny27 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:17:58

My arthritis is in my fingers. They are now too swollen for me to wear rings which upsets me hugely. The pain is quite bad on some days but not all the time. Does anyone have any advice for me. My doc sent me for x rays, confirmed arthritis then more or less wrote me off. (about 4 years ago)

fluttERBY123 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:22:13

Glucosamine sulphate for arthritic joints, it builds cartilage round the joint. NOT just glucosamine, I.have been told.

Sarahmob Sat 31-Oct-20 11:25:43

I’ve had painful arthritis in my fingers which stopped me knitting (a hobby that keeps me sane in these weird times). A friend recommended Glucosamine with Chondroitin and whilst a little sceptical decided to try them, they’ve definitely made a difference and I’m now able to knit again. I also invested in a joint ace gel which seems to help too.

Nanny27 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:30:34

That's interesting sarahmob. Are your finger joints swollen? Has this reduced the swelling at all?

bluebirdwsm Sat 31-Oct-20 11:33:33

I've been taking turmeric with black pepper and ginger capsules for about 2 years now. They really help arthritis in my thumbs and wrist. When I ran out the pain started again until the next batch of capsules were delivered...then back to being ok within a couple days. I've also had the turmeric I take endorsed by my GP.

Juicylucy Sat 31-Oct-20 11:37:59

I’ve had the X-ray on the hands fingers and showed degenerative wear and tear. I’ve not found turmeric helps me at all but that’s not to say it’s not worth trying it. I take the odd ibuprofen for the inflammation and that helps me.

SewnSew Sat 31-Oct-20 11:39:55

Like so many of us, I have arthritis in knees, hands and ankles and since I loathe taking tablets I have Chinese acupuncture once a month. You need two or three sessions before you feel the benefit but after that it is enormously helpful. I really missed it while we were shielding. This cold and damp weather can really make the pain worse, can't it? But acupuncture keeps me active . Additionally, tai chi is wonderful exercise for arthritics because it is gentle but has many benefits for older people.

riccib123 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:41:02

My husband and I have both been taking it as a general anti inflammatory and we both noticed that things that clicked creaked or ached don’t now. However remember it’s a food supplement not a pain killer so you probably need to take it for several months as we have to notice a difference. Needs to be one also containing black pepper to aid absorption (apparently)

narrowboatnan Sat 31-Oct-20 11:47:18

BlackSheep46

Black pepper's other name is Curcumin by the way an dyes, it's essential to take a tablet that has them combined for best effect - and who wants anything less !! Yes, take one a day and in a few weeks all will be well. I take it every day - may have to up the dose to 2 per day during damp winter months. Anyone any advice about that ?
As for powder - wonderful stuff. Sprinkle it on stews and curries and anything like that, stir it into cottage /shepherd's pie mix. Just use it. No one will know it's in the dish unless you mention it. I agree - it's vile to drink in milk etc so just stir it into anything savoury.
Turmeric powder is also a wonder cure for burns - just mix a bit into a paste with milk, cover the burn and it works wonders. Wouldn't be without it !

Black pepper contains Piperine. Curcumin a component of turmeric.

I’ve taken turmeric for years for any and all inflammation, especially arthritis. I’ve successfully dosed dogs and horses with it as well. Turmeric needs Piperine to enter the body at cellular level and also a fat or oil to dissolve it. Without these components it will simply pass through the body.

If you take capsules (with black pepper in) try washing them down with milk (it’s a fat) or take them alongside toast or bread with proper butter on, or even a meal with some fat content (mashed potato made with butter for instance)

I make my own Golden Paste, but you can buy that too from The Golden Paste Company (there are probably other companies too).

Golden Paste tastes bitter, the capsules have no taste.

I hope this helps.

quizqueen Sat 31-Oct-20 11:53:19

I've been taking it for joint problems for the past 4 months since getting much worse over lockdown when I couldn't go swimming to relieve the pain, I have seen NO improvement whatsoever.

Shazmo24 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:08:36

I found glucosamine which you can have with turmeric works well.
Also I used Glucosamine with Emu Oil directly onto the area helped too

KnittyNannie Sat 31-Oct-20 12:09:40

I take turmeric and black pepper tablets for arthritis in my hands. It took a few months before I noticed any difference, but much of the swelling in my fingers has gone and my hands are not painful any more. Well, just the odd twinge in my thumb joint which used to be extremely painful. I also have a swollen knee which is less painful than it used to be. I buy my tablets online (f max 5). They are often on offer on eBay. I would highly recommend!

KnittyNannie Sat 31-Oct-20 12:11:59

Quizqueen - Give it a little longer. It was about six months or more before I noticed any difference.

Helen369 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:14:00

It hasn’t worked for me either I’m afraid, despite my hopes. I took two different quality brands over a four month period but nada. I think you just have to try it for yourself, you may be one of the lucky ones.

tigger Sat 31-Oct-20 12:16:07

I tried Turmeric for some time. It is great for shifting coughs etc but did not help with joint pain. I have had some success with Magnesium. Apparently half the country has a Magnesium deficiency, it might be worth a try.

Bijou Sat 31-Oct-20 12:19:58

I definitely think turmeric helps. Glucosamine did nothing for me. I have heard that certain foods such as tomatoes are bad for arthritis. I have osteoarthritis in my knees. There are are many forms of the disease and it is widespread all over the world. My niece in Barbados has started to get it in her hands. So far there is no cure.

vissos Sat 31-Oct-20 12:45:15

Tried glucosamine for 3 months, no difference. Works for a friend tho. Turmeric capsules gave me dreadful heartburn - but might give them another go, maybe taking after food might help.

Buttonjugs Sat 31-Oct-20 13:06:06

I don’t know about the efficacy of Turmeric for joint pain, but 10 years ago I started (under physio advice) to wear ankle weights every couple of days and in a seated position lift up my lower legs alternatively for about 24 reps each side. I get virtually no knee pain now although they can be noisy! I also take Glucosamine.

Juneandarchie1 Sat 31-Oct-20 13:32:03

I swear by glucosamine, been taking it for years

optimist Sat 31-Oct-20 13:42:41

Turmeric has been magic for me. I really cant believe it but I have had no more pain since taking it about 8 months ago.