Gransnet forums

Health

Should I report Covid-19 violations in care home?

(71 Posts)
Buffy Wed 04-Nov-20 12:09:21

An acquaintance has told me of a close friend working in a Devon care home where staff are tested weekly for Covid-19. The friend has tested positive and been sent home but is out and about shopping. I telephoned the home in question and the Manager was only concerned that the tests should remain confidential, not that this individual was risking other people’s health. I wonder if she has reported this case to the NHS.
What can I or should I do? We are all at risk.

halfpint1 Sat 07-Nov-20 13:12:08

isn't it an old trick to make the population turn on each other and thus takes the pressure off those that are really to blame?

Buffy Sat 07-Nov-20 11:55:13

The care home worker was male and from what I heard, was showing off that he was a law unto himself. You are all quite right, as I did not hear it directly I cannot be sure it’s true but I’m now glad I confronted the care home manager. If true and she hasn’t reported it she probably will and surely she is likely to contact the employee to check on what they are doing. Either way I don’t now think it did any harm to report.

Callistemon Sat 07-Nov-20 11:24:20

Another thing they did was, in a block of flats, if even one person was found to have the virus they boarded up the doors so no one could go in or out. (I can only hope they gave them food first!)
Yes, DD's friend from Wuhan confirmed that was the case. I presume they were given food.

Lavazza1st Sat 07-Nov-20 11:18:04

Places such as China have facial recognition cameras and can track down anyone who is supposed to be self isolating. A major invasion of privacy and very 1984.

Another thing they did was, in a block of flats, if even one person was found to have the virus they boarded up the doors so no one could go in or out. (I can only hope they gave them food first!)

While those measures are scary and also invasive, I think they were able to contain the virus within 3 months. Unlike Britain, where it is illegal to visit your elderly parents yet perfectly fine to get them to provide childcare (!)

mistymitts Sat 07-Nov-20 08:17:59

Mwdebbie, if only we all were as careful as you, if we were we would have nailed this virus by now. When I was out shopping the other day I stood waiting in an aisle for a family, man woman and child to move so I could pass, the mother muttered ' some people are so OTT'. I replied 'some people are dying'. Shops did start by telling people not to shop in groups or families, just as a single person or with a child, this seems to be gone out the window, and her attitude is now becoming more commonplace as people get very relaxed with the guide lines and interpret them the way they want to. Countries in the Far East such as Korea and Singapore are winning because they have a greater feel of community and working for the whole rather than the individual which many people in this country I'm ashamed to say don't, so, I congratulate you on your efforts to protect others. Thank you.

mistymitts Sat 07-Nov-20 08:00:12

I should imagine that there are many such people who have been contacted by track and trace that will not be isolating. This is different ofcourse as they may well not have Covid, but just have been in the area of someone who has. If someone definitely has a positive test they are required to self isolate. This person has obviously been telling people that they are positive but seemingly does not care, one of the people she/he has told could anonymously report him/her and I would think would be right to do so, it could well save lives.

maddyone Fri 06-Nov-20 23:42:37

What surprises me is that more than one poster says they know of people who have tested positive but are still going out and about, presumably because they don’t feel unwell. This must mean that many people over the country as a whole are simply ignoring their positive tests and continuing to go out. I have also heard that many people refuse to quarantine after returning home from holidays in countries from which we require quarantine.
It makes me wonder when we became such a selfish society.

Wetnosewheatie Fri 06-Nov-20 22:12:33

I would alert the LA Public health department. Sorry bit this person was wandering around with a loaded gun and people were at risk you would ring the police.

Callistemon Fri 06-Nov-20 22:05:47

Should I report Covid-19 violations in care home?

That is the crux of the matter, though, isn't it.
The violations are not in the care home as you state, Buffy, because the worker has been sent home.
The care home has done the right thing according to Government guidelines, even if the worker in question has ignored them outside his or her place of employment.

Callistemon Fri 06-Nov-20 21:56:30

Anyone could be out and about with the virus but not showing symptoms and be unaware they have it, Flakesdayout.

Just don't stand close to anyone and practise all the hygiene measures.
Or don't go out shopping.

MawB2 Fri 06-Nov-20 21:51:54

I would be horrified to think I could be out shopping, with my mask and gloves on and someone could be standing next to me with this virus

What planet have you been on Flakesdayout throughout Lockdown 1.0 and now Lockdown 2.0?
Of course you could be standing next to someone with the virus! Why should this surprise you? This has been a fact of life for the last 8 months.
That is why we practise social distancing , use face coverings and are assiduous about hand washing. .

Happyme Fri 06-Nov-20 21:49:58

I have just completed two weeks of self isolation after son and family tested positive for covid. He was contacted regularly to check he was complying with the guidelines, twice in a couple of hours one day. He followed the rules to the letter but I do know of others who have continued to go out and about as normal despite testing positive, would / will voice my disapproval direct to them but no, I would not be seeking to inform on them.

fluff Fri 06-Nov-20 21:35:30

Report it , it’s up to the police to check the veracity of it, not for you to think it might be Chinese whispers, people behaving like this is why we now have a second lockdown.

moggie57 Fri 06-Nov-20 20:06:14

You got any community police? There's is a site online you can report her.

Millie22 Fri 06-Nov-20 17:52:11

I can't bear to read things like this as my partner is very poorly with covid. Goodness knows where he got it from but it's a nightmare. We are now self isolating obviously.

earnshaw Fri 06-Nov-20 17:19:48

we are all in charge of our own actions, hopefully in responsible ways, this lady is flouting rules and is behaving irresponsibly, lets hope she doesnt pass it on while she is out and about

Mwdebbie Fri 06-Nov-20 16:14:33

I don’t get people who don’t self-isolate. A friend who’s been advised to isolate following a contact with an infected person is still going for a daily walk. She doesn’t seem to believe the NHS app which advised her of her need to isolate and justifies her walk by saying she goes out when it’s quiet and there’s no-one about! I love her dearly but just don’t know how to respond to her when she says she goes for a 15 min walk each day. I’ve very feebly said nothing. I recently had Covid19 and went out into the garden to empty the kitchen rubbish at 6am, wearing a mask, only when the bin was full. I even held my breath!

Wishes Fri 06-Nov-20 16:13:05

Along the same lines a friends granddaughter was told by the child sitting in front of her at school that she was mixing with family who are covid positive. She herself was awaiting a covid test result but her parents said she had to go to school!

The school have been emailed. There's no hope!

Flakesdayout Fri 06-Nov-20 14:46:29

I would be horrified to think I could be out shopping, with my mask and gloves on and someone could be standing next to me with this virus. Does she not realise that this is a deadly thing for some and could cause untold misery for many people. Shame on them.

Awesomegranny Fri 06-Nov-20 13:46:04

Don’t get involved it will only backfire on you. Just keep your distance from that person

GillT57 Fri 06-Nov-20 13:41:14

Sadly, this is gossip and hearsay and a reminder that not everyone who works in the care industry is a saint.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 06-Nov-20 13:21:42

You basically reacted to gossip. It doesn't really surprise me that the care home was a bit off-hand when you phoned.

If you feel you must report this, do so. Presumably the local health authority will receive your complaint.

MawB2 Fri 06-Nov-20 13:13:45

I may have misunderstood but it does not seem as if the violation has taken place in the care home but in the care worker’s private life after being sent home .
What she is doing is certainly wrong but her employer is not the person to report her to, if indeed you feel moved to do this.

maddyone Fri 06-Nov-20 13:07:25

The care worker who tested is both selfish and irresponsible. She must know the rules, she’s just flagrantly ignoring them.

Jess20 Fri 06-Nov-20 12:40:08

I guess it's just possible that this person had no food in and coukdn't get a delivery, and perhaps wasn't able to find a volunteer to shop for him or her? However, I'm sympathetic with the OP as the occupants of the flat above us tested positive but still went out to the communal bins and visiting relatives (who were recovering from CV and likely the source of the infection in the first place). It's a great shame there is so little support for people at home, nobody official calls to see if they are OK and ask if they need help.