Gransnet forums

Health

Plantar Fasciitis

(69 Posts)
Buffybee Thu 19-Nov-20 09:12:16

My foot became sore over two weeks ago, the day after a particularly long walk with my dog.
The pain in my heel felt as though I had stood on a sharp stone so I thought it would go away but after looking online I think it may be plantar fasciitis.
I bought some heel inserts for my walking shoes and sent for some jelly like heel covers, which you pull on like socks but they aren't helping, in fact I think it's getting worse.
Can anyone give me advise on what else I can do, it's driving me mad as I'm limping along trying to walk the dog and ignore the pain.

MayBee70 Thu 19-Nov-20 20:07:19

They say that Crocs are bad for your feet but I have multiple foot problems: bunion, corn, Ledderhose disease and Crocs are the most comfortable things I have ever worn. I have indoor and outdoor pairs so I can put clean ones on when I’ve been in the garden. They remind me of those white clogs that nurses used to wear.

MayBee70 Thu 19-Nov-20 20:10:02

I used to do that exercise with my feet where you do the alphabet with them. I felt as if I was walking on marbles most of the time. I think it all started when I wore very flat shoes with thin soles at a time when I was on my feet all day at work.

Callistemon Thu 19-Nov-20 20:26:19

I've had it or months but think the exercises I was sent online by the podiatrist do help.
Ask your GP for a referral.

The podiatrist also advised wearing firm trainers, indoors as well as outside so I keep one pair for indoors.

MayBee70 Thu 19-Nov-20 20:29:28

Maybe soaking feet with Epsom salts might help.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 19-Nov-20 21:45:38

Buffybee, you mentioned wearing slippers indoors. You really can't wear them if you have plantar fascitis. I only wear them for nighttime trips to the bathroom.
I did wear strappy shoes indoors but recently decided that, as they were a little loose, I'd try stiffer lace ups indoors as well as out, and I feel 95% better.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 22:18:09

MayBee70

I used to do that exercise with my feet where you do the alphabet with them. I felt as if I was walking on marbles most of the time. I think it all started when I wore very flat shoes with thin soles at a time when I was on my feet all day at work.

What's that MayBee? The 'alphabet thing'?

MayBee70 Thu 19-Nov-20 22:25:40

Just lie in bed and point my toes in a,b,c movements if that makes sense.

Buffybee Thu 19-Nov-20 22:37:33

Thanks MayBee, I’ll buy a pair of Crocs for indoors and see how I go on with them.
Elusivebutterfly, I’m sure you are correct about the slippers. When I think about it, I have spent most of the Summer in flat strappy sandals and then flimsy slippers indoors.
I do have a few sturdy shoes, which I would normally use to walk the dogs but I will now wear them indoors with the insert until the problem goes away.
I can’t begin to tell you how much everyone has helped me today. I was feeling very despondent, as I thought that just resting my foot would make the soreness go away but as soon as I walked on it, back it came.
Now I have all this advise to help me to deal with it.
Thanks everyone ?

Callistemon Thu 19-Nov-20 22:38:34

Sit with legs stretched out, place a folded towels around toes, hold the ends of the towel in each hand and pull toes towards you, hold for 30 seconds. Sit up straight while you do this.

Coolgran65 Thu 19-Nov-20 22:40:11

MayBee70 can you explain the abc a little further. I’m not getting it. Sorry ?

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 22:42:58

Thanks coolgran - it's not just me!

Callistemon Thu 19-Nov-20 22:53:23

The idea is to stretch the Achilles tendon and plantar fascia gently but firmly. These were recommended by a NHS podiatrist:

www.csp.org.uk/conditions/foot-pain/video-exercises-foot-pain

jacq10 Thu 19-Nov-20 23:05:27

I would advise you to try and get doctor's appointment. I was a daily walker but developed extreme pain in my right leg. Got a telephone appt with doctor who diagnosed Achilles Tendonitis - said it would take time and prescribed painkillers. After aproximately 6 weeks with the same level of pain I had another telephone appointment with an in-house physio at our practice and managed to persuade him to see me which he did and confirmed the doctor's diagnosis. Didn't give me any exercises but said it would take time and I should use a stick for support which I was already doing. Five weeks later I had to get an appointment for a more serious matter and saw a young doctor new to the practice who arranged an immediate scan for my other problem so I asked him to look at my foot. I am now waiting on a scan on my leg as he thinks I have a ruptured tendon. My ankle is quite out of shape and I really struggle with my walking so I really regret not getting it seen to immediately. Friends were telling me to go to A&E but I have always had faith in my doctor. My scan date is 7 December - can't come quick enough.

Grandma2213 Fri 20-Nov-20 03:31:18

I have always been a 'walker' and during lockdown 1 and later have walked miles every day as the weather was so great. A few weeks ago though I realised I was suffering pain in my feet, especially my heels which was agonising first thing in the morning. Normally I work through pain and it goes away but this time that was not the solution so consulted Dr Google. Sure enough I had all the symptoms of plantar fasciitis and realised I should have been resting. It was probably caused by too much barefoot walking around the house as the weather deteriorated and I tried to keep up my 'step count'. Anyway have rested, done all the stretching exercises suggested, massage, and worn supportive shoes in the house, plus most of the suggestions already mentioned. No better I'm afraid but I'm hoping that time will help to improve - preferably before I get too heavy to move at all! hmm

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 16:14:38

SB sox*! They are brilliant! (Amazon and not much more the a fiver!) Wear them constantly, even in bed as long as you don't have water retention issues. Half insoles with arch support. I use VIVEsole PLANTAR SERIES* also Amazon. Excuse the capitals! You can use full insoles but they really make your shoes tight.

*Other brands and retailers are available.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 16:19:30

My plantar fasciitis has resolved but I still use the insoles in shoes that have no arch support.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 16:22:01

Grandma2213 it seems to go then comes back again, very annoying.

I saw those lizziepopbottle and wondered if they were any good.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 16:23:57

I have insoles which were prescribed so I wonder if shoes would fit as you'd need to wear ordinary socks on top of the supportive SB sockss?

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 16:36:22

Callistemon I wore lightweight socks over the SBs. I only wore the support sock on the affected foot. My theory is that the half insoles with arch support help to correct a tendency to pronate but I'm no podiatrist! I was told once that I was pronating on one foot but I can't remember which foot! It might be the one I had PF on. I wear Sainsbury's cheap little canvas lace ups and they have no support at all so I wonder if that might've made it worse. Wearing the SBs at night wards off the pain when you first put your foot down in the morning.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 16:39:02

Getting the SBs and wearing them in bed was a turning point for me but who knows? It might've been coincidence....but I don't think so...

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 16:42:11

I was looking at them on a "fulfilment website" but then my foot felt better.
Now it feels worse again and it is the one which is pronated from an old injury.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 16:46:24

If you look for SB sox on Amazon and scroll down to the product info and reviews you will see that you can wear them in bed. Please don't on my say so, if you have water retention issues, big ankles, circulation problems etc. I don't have any of these and have worn the SBs nightly.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 16:49:49

I think the arch supports 'throw' your foot into a better position and maybe that helps. You can get trainers specifically with arch support but the high back on most trainers irritate my Achilles tendon so I never wear them.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 16:53:31

I think I'm ok, except on a long haul flight and I won't be going on one of those for some time.

I've been wearing Skechers with my prescribed orthotics.
The podiatrist said Skechers weren't firm enough but they are comfy and quite supportive.

3dognight Fri 20-Nov-20 16:56:02

ask you doctor for a referral to an nhs podiatrist asap.
This will take a while!
In the meantime see if you can see one privately. There you will be able to buy gel heel supports and also firm supports to wear in your shoes. This will not cost too much, I think my visit cost about sixty pounds for the appointment, gel heels, and slip in shoe supports. If you can wait for the nhs appointment they will make you lovely custom made supports that after you have got used to wearing, you have to wear all the time. You can keep reordering off the nhs as many as you want at a cost of about seventy pounds a pair.
There will be shoes you have to kiss goodbye to, as the supports won't fit in. You will get heel pain if you wear flatties or slippers. Small kitten or wedge type heel will help tip your point of balance onto the ball of your foot and take the pressure off the heel. You must do the same for both feet even if the pain is only in one...
Do the exercises advised on here.
I've had it on and off for about six years, it will get more bearable but may never completely disappear.
I got it from walking miles a day in wellies, which my podiatrist told me off about. I still walk miles a day but now in proper walking boots.
Keep all your boots and shoes properly heeled as soon as you see them getting worn. Good luck and it will improve!