Gransnet forums

Health

Plantar Fasciitis

(69 Posts)
Buffybee Thu 19-Nov-20 09:12:16

My foot became sore over two weeks ago, the day after a particularly long walk with my dog.
The pain in my heel felt as though I had stood on a sharp stone so I thought it would go away but after looking online I think it may be plantar fasciitis.
I bought some heel inserts for my walking shoes and sent for some jelly like heel covers, which you pull on like socks but they aren't helping, in fact I think it's getting worse.
Can anyone give me advise on what else I can do, it's driving me mad as I'm limping along trying to walk the dog and ignore the pain.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 16:59:33

Well, Callistemon and Buffybee, I really hope you can get relief because I know how painful PF is.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 17:22:03

I wore rather sloppy shoes all summer (my own fault) but yes, it is painful.
Las week I thought it had gone but it was back again yesterday.

I feel for anyone who has it.

You can keep reordering off the nhs as many as you want at a cost of about seventy pounds a pair.
The podiatrist here said I couldn't buy another pair from the NHS.

silverlining48 Fri 20-Nov-20 17:45:28

The nhs doesn't generally do anything foot related unless you have diabetes. One is pretty much on ones own.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 17:51:53

I've had several pairs of my favourite support socks (my dog is fond of snacking on them) and maybe three pairs of half insoles. My PF has resolved and I haven't spent anything approaching seventy pounds! ?

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 17:53:00

silverlining48

The nhs doesn't generally do anything foot related unless you have diabetes. One is pretty much on ones own.

I think it depends on your Area Health Authority. Our podiatry service is ok ish.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 17:54:59

I saw a private podiatrist and had some insoles made while I was waiting for an NHS appointment.
£85 and the insoles are unwearable. Too painful

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 18:01:39

That's bad news, Callistemon. At that rate, it might be worth throwing another ten or twelve quid at the problem for a pair of SBs and half insoles.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 18:05:45

The ones I had prescribed in the end are fine but it would be good to have another pair to swap around!

silverlining48 Fri 20-Nov-20 18:16:12

Glad for you callistemon. we cant get any help here in the south east. I had to pay £££ to have my ingrowing big toe nail dealt with.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 18:51:54

Looking back over this thread, I read jacq10's post about her Achilles tendon. The plantar fascia is connected to the Achilles and goes right along the bottom of the foot. I had long term trouble with both Achilles tendons some years ago and mentioned it to a sports physio while she was treating a pulled calf muscle. She explained that it would normally be a podiatrist's area but asked if she could take a look. I lay face down on the treatment table with my feet over the edge. She gripped the tendons between thumb and index finger (see photo) and started squeezing up and down the length of them for a minute or so. It was excruciating! BUT I walked out of there with no Achilles pain and it has never come back! It was nothing short of miraculous! If I think I feel a niggle, I do the squeezing myself. This is absolutely true. She described the Achilles tendon as several tendons rather like a rope. She said they can get a bit knotted and may even start to break down if the problem is ignored. I suppose her squeezing took the knots out of mine.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 18:56:00

Sorry for the photo if you dislike feet. Some people do...

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 19:44:20

Interesting! I had a very heavy plaster put on my leg years ago query ?ruptured Achilles tendon but it turned out to be torn ligaments.

I dislike my own feet, some feet are lovely grin

jacq10 Fri 20-Nov-20 22:18:28

Thank you for your post lizzypopbottle. You have described the pain exactly as I felt it. Told DS that the last time I had pain like that was when I was giving birth to him! I will wait and see what the upshot is after my hospital visit for scan on 7 Dec but it may well be that a visit to a private podiatrist will be my Christmas present to myself.

Kamiso Fri 20-Nov-20 23:12:21

I had this for a few months and it’s very painful. I applied ibuprofen gel and wore shoes with a one inch heel which I found the most comfortable or least uncomfortable.

Doing something helps mentally but it really seems to be a matter of time and if possible resting with your feet raised.

MayBee70 Fri 20-Nov-20 23:47:19

Callistemon

I saw a private podiatrist and had some insoles made while I was waiting for an NHS appointment.
£85 and the insoles are unwearable. Too painful

Same here only it was with the NHS. They were rock hard and so thick they didn’t fit into any of my shoes.

lizzypopbottle Sun 22-Nov-20 14:56:40

The little half insoles are really helpful. They are lightweight, have arch support but don't fill your shoes up. I use VIVEsole ones but if you search Google for plantar fasciitis there are plenty to choose from.

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 15:33:18

I went for a walk today and it didn't feel too bad (perhaps because my knee felt worse [!]) But is twingeing a bit now, sitting with feet up.

I'll look for the VIVEsole ones as I have several pairs of shoes which I can't wear now as the insoles take up too much room.
I find the NHS ones quite comfy although they took a long while to get used to.

lizzypopbottle Sun 22-Nov-20 16:55:51

I think the SB Sox worn night and day were what saved me ☺