Gransnet forums

Health

co codamol 30/500

(36 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 01-Dec-20 12:10:53

My dear sister gave me some of the above as i am in so much pain with my right leg. (Suspected osteoarthritis). I took one this morning and when i went out for my 30min walk which i am trying to do everyday, even if somewhat slowly, i was amazed at the difference the tablet had made. I am due a review of my mediation this month so i will tell my gp and ask for some on my next prescription. I know you shouldn't take other people's prescribed medication but some days the pain is unbearable and i was popping paracetamol or ibropruen and not getting anywhere the relief i experienced this morning. I won't take anymore today but mornings are my busy time, walking, shopping housework etc and i was feeling desperate. Would you have done the same or am i taking a risk???

Jayt Tue 01-Dec-20 20:47:13

You can buy Cocodamol from the chemists so you don’t need a prescription. Our doctors were discouraged from giving Codydramol a number of years ago due to it being addictive. Cocodamol is strong and you need to watch out for constipation but it is a very effective painkiller.

paddyanne Tue 01-Dec-20 21:38:55

I take co codomol for a herniated disc ,not all the time but when I need them.My GP decided I wasn't to have them but my physio called and told him the alternative was surgery and I dont want that.So I get them ,but I take them when the pain is bad and I'm grateful to have them on those bad days .I was told not to take aspirin or Ibuprofen with them as I used to have a stomach ulcer .

Le15 Tue 01-Dec-20 22:22:49

I was prescribed 30\500mg co-codamol couple of years ago after I had a fall and hit sciatica nerve I also suffer miagrane and colitis and it helps symptoms of these as well my doctor has now decided to stop them and prescribed beta blockers instead which have really upset my colitis I am so annoyed I wasn't addicted to the codeine and it helped so much with these conditions so not a happy bunny!!

Coolgran65 Tue 01-Dec-20 23:40:00

I have very severe restless leg syndrome 24/7 and have had it for 30+ years. It is utterly miserable and debilitating and without medication causes me to have to walk and move constantly about day and nighteven when exhausted and get only 2 or 3 hours sleep most nights. Codeine is the only thing that works after having tried all the usual medications.

I was first using cocodamol 30/500 with great success. But I knew that the paracetamol part of it was of no benefit and asked the dr if I could have codeine phosphate which is without the paracetamol. He was happy to do so.
I’ve been taking it for about 15 years at the Max daily dose. It has never needed to be increased.
I believe Addiction is when you take something for the effect like a buzz/high and When you take a medication because you need it and can’t do without it, it is dependency.
No matter, I will never have any quality of life without it and so withdrawal difficulties trying to get off it hopefully should not arise.

travelsafar Wed 02-Dec-20 09:35:22

Thanks for all the advise. I have now bought some 8/500 and this morning just taken one as i need to drive to supermarket.

I will defo tell gp about what i have been doing. It was just soooo good to be painfree for a few hours. smile

MayBee70 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:55:19

Be careful with driving if it makes you drowsy, though. If you read the instructions it will mention that I assume.

cathymum Wed 02-Dec-20 14:11:24

I had these prescribed for pain from a trapped nerve in my neck, they were great for the pain but I stopped taking them when I suddenly found myself transformed into Mr Toad when driving, I was invincible and in my mind able to overtake anything else on the road at high speed!! Scary stuff.

rafichagran Thu 03-Dec-20 17:43:08

Please Please be careful, I was prescribed 30/500, along with anytriptiline for sciatica, I did not take the anytriptiline, but tried the co codermole. It made me very tired, and I could not function, so I made do with paracetamol.
Please be very careful as that is a very high dose and can become addictive. Please see your GP and see what they have to say. Best of luck.

GagaJo Thu 03-Dec-20 17:49:59

I love codeine. It is my pain killer of choice for the crippling headaches I get. It was the only thing that helped when I had horrific perimenopause period pain, and also helped a lot post op after cancer surgery.

I don't have any at the moment but always hoarded what I did have for my headaches. I could go from feeling like I was dying to being 100% better.

PaperMonster Sat 05-Dec-20 16:35:51

I take these for hyper mobility pain. I only take two at bedtime as they make me feel spaced out. However during the day I will take one plus a paracetamol. I only take them maybe two or three times a week usually and thankfully don’t get the constipation that others sometimes do.