Gransnet forums

Health

Water Flossers

(75 Posts)
Ngaio1 Tue 08-Dec-20 23:10:00

There are many ads at the moment for water dental flossers. Has anyone experience of them, please? Wondering if they are as good as promoted or a waste of money.

schnackie Fri 11-Dec-20 09:53:10

Thank you all for the information. I will get one as soon as possible. I have become something of a 'flossing addict' as I can feel every single thing between my teeth that shouldn't be there. Thankfully I live alone and often find myself flossing in front of the telly for hours!! blush

rosieod1 Fri 11-Dec-20 10:00:40

Have been using one for years. Got my last one from Lidl's,great bit of kit. Like others have said, my teeth are really close and I could never get on with flossing,so one of these does the job.Highly recommend

Grandmagrotbags Fri 11-Dec-20 10:04:24

This is a s the one I use. It’s brilliant and not expensive

Rosina Fri 11-Dec-20 10:05:10

My dentist recommended the Philips Sonicare - I've used it for over a year and the 'pockets' that were appearing at my gumline have gone. I clean my teeth with an electric toothbrush, and then fill the pick reservoir with warm water. Absolutely vital as others have said to put it in your mouth and close your lips round it before starting - a wet face will result if you don't. It is surprising how much debris appears even after brushing, and plaque, which is grey, is also removed. I can't use the interdental brushes as they seem to get stuck between my teeth and then I panic that I might pull a crown off or a filling out. My water pick is great - it has helped dental hygiene a great deal.

Minnow0 Fri 11-Dec-20 10:10:24

Absolutely brilliant, warm water, lips closed and start on gentle as everyone has said.

Twopence Fri 11-Dec-20 10:21:56

Another fan here. I use a Panasonic but have had a Waterpic in the past and it was very similar. I would certainly recommend either type.

Blossoming Fri 11-Dec-20 10:32:43

I have a waterpik, I did some systems work for the company and got a nice discount on mine.

My dentist is a big fan of the them and she says she can see a difference when people use them.

hulahoop Fri 11-Dec-20 10:50:12

Juliet27

Funny that this has appeared just a few days after I’ve bought one. I’m pleased with it and confirm some of the comments here about turning it off before removing from your mouth...I’ve ended up showering the mirror and my face. Also, it does sting on the tongue. It has actually revealed a problem in a tooth I was concerned about so I shall get it sorted quickly.

I,m with you kwest never heard of them until today sound good though.

Lin663 Fri 11-Dec-20 11:10:44

I asked my hygienist about them...she said they are a waste of time and money...

Maggiemaybe Fri 11-Dec-20 11:14:03

I think I’m persuaded by all the recommendations on here. ? I’m another who can’t use the interdental brushes because of close fitting teeth. I once managed to force one between two teeth as the dentist said I should try, and it came out completely bald. I’m still wondering where those bristles are!

Could anyone advise on whether they’re safe to use with laminates? I have two on my front teeth that have lasted over 30 years and I’d hate to dislodge them after all this time.

Nanna58 Fri 11-Dec-20 11:24:38

Fantastic item , as an experiment used it after brushing my teeth instead of before- well,you should have seen the s*#t that came out!!!?

HannahLoisLuke Fri 11-Dec-20 11:37:26

Lin663

I asked my hygienist about them...she said they are a waste of time and money...

Perhaps that's because you wouldn't need her services so often if you used one.

Tweedle24 Fri 11-Dec-20 11:47:11

I was given, on request, one as a Christmas gift. However, when I mentioned it to my hygienist, she stressed that it must only be used as a supplement to interdent brushes, not instead of.

Blinko Fri 11-Dec-20 11:52:25

HannahLoisLuke

Lin663

Perhaps that's because you wouldn't need her services so often if you used one.

My dentist doesn't recommend them either. I did wonder why, as I do feel the benefit when I use mine. It's a Waterpik. I'll carry on with it. I also use tee pee brushes and an electric toothbrush. My teeth are unevenly spaced, with some gaps but others very close together. My teeth feel very clean and gums tingling when I use it.

posset Fri 11-Dec-20 11:55:39

I've never heard of them till reading this thread - have impulsively ordered one on Amazon for my partner as he spends ages have "sessions" on flossing........of course I can use it too!

Happiyogi Fri 11-Dec-20 12:08:11

Interesting discussion!

Does anyone with very sensitive teeth have experience of using one of these? I’ve always avoided them cos my teeth ‘flinch’ at the thought, although I see they’re used with warm water which sounds more gentle. I’ve happily used a Sonicare toothbrush for decades, and interdental brushes with a plastic shaft. The metal ones light my sensitivity up!

123kitty Fri 11-Dec-20 12:23:09

Great piece of kit. I have very sensitive teeth and recommend using warm water. Use before brushing teeth. Don't give up as they can take a bit of getting used to, I soaked the bathroom and myself a couple of times to begin with. I'm now on my second waterpik (Boots under £35)

allsortsofbags Fri 11-Dec-20 12:23:14

I love mine so yes I'd recommend one.

As someone has already said use warm water and be close to the basin until you get the hang of using it.

I put that my water flosser/pick was one of my best buys on a reply last year and got some wide range of comments. Not all enquiring or complimentary but that's life.

There are better ones around now and I might even upgrade mine after Christmas.

cavewoman Fri 11-Dec-20 12:33:31

I add a small amount of mouthwash to the warm water.
Wouldn't be without mine.

grandmaz Fri 11-Dec-20 12:35:42

I too have been toying with the idea of getting a water flosser and this thread has convinced me! Thanks Grandmagrotbags for the recommendation - I've just purchased the same one with nearly £10 off on Amazon. Great timing and a new 'something' to improve my dental health as I haven't seen my dentist since last November, my May check up having been cancelled of course. I LOVE Gransnet! flowers

CleoPanda Fri 11-Dec-20 12:56:12

Ooh, thanks for the info everyone.
Not buying anything from Amazon on principle, don’t want Far Eastern untested tat or to buy from a totally unethical company. Will have a look at Philips and Boots websites.

chattykathy Fri 11-Dec-20 13:55:36

I'm having one for Christmas. My niece who is a dental nurse says she puts diluted mouthwash into hers.

Georgesgran Fri 11-Dec-20 13:58:10

It sounds as if most GNs would recommend one of those gadgets. I’m a bit of an advertisement geek and fond of reading the small print (on screen) that’s barely visible,
The figures quoted in the new Waterpik ad are from it being tested on extracted teeth!! Must admit I found it funny - surely using the gadget is trying to avoid that?

Juliet27 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:11:12

Having commented that after using the water flosser I could see a small hole in one of my teeth I got a dental appt. quickly and the repair was done straightaway. The dentist said the flossers are a good idea but not to reply on them completely and to also use dental brushes.

Juliet27 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:13:57

Rely not reply!