Gransnet forums

Health

Water Flossers

(75 Posts)
Ngaio1 Tue 08-Dec-20 23:10:00

There are many ads at the moment for water dental flossers. Has anyone experience of them, please? Wondering if they are as good as promoted or a waste of money.

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:15:00

grandmaz we obviously have superb taste and also know how to save money because we appear to have ordered the same one!

Dustyhen2010 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:16:50

I have had a Waterpik for many years and highly recommend it. I had never thought of having one but my dentist mentioned them. She hadn't given them much consideration until a patient appeared with much improved mouth and she asked what had changed. After that she realised how good they were and started mentioning to her patients. I have sensitive teeth and use warm water with no problem. It is quite shocking to see how much food is held between your teeth even after you feel you have cleaned them properly with an electric brush. Once you try a Waterpik you will feel your teeth couldn't possibly have been clean at all before. I would be lost without mine and have even taken it on holiday.

PollyDolly Fri 11-Dec-20 16:02:31

I have one as well as an electric toothbrush. The water flosser is amazing! It did take some getting used to but so worthwhile!
Both are ideal for anyone suffering with sinus problems, the vibrations help clear the congestion apparently!

Applegran Fri 11-Dec-20 17:18:50

I just found this on line

Keep in mind that even though a water pik is a good support for floss, it should not take the place of floss because the two work differently. Floss actually scrapes plaque off the surfaces of your teeth. A water pik just rinses the teeth. It has the advantage of stimulating the gums and is very helpful for people who have braces, but it cannot really completely remove stubborn plaque.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 11-Dec-20 17:34:40

Maggiemaybe

I think I’m persuaded by all the recommendations on here. ? I’m another who can’t use the interdental brushes because of close fitting teeth. I once managed to force one between two teeth as the dentist said I should try, and it came out completely bald. I’m still wondering where those bristles are!

Could anyone advise on whether they’re safe to use with laminates? I have two on my front teeth that have lasted over 30 years and I’d hate to dislodge them after all this time.

Maggie maybe that gave me such a giggle ?

Candelle Fri 11-Dec-20 17:49:57

I am obviously in the minority... I have owned a Waterpik for probably twenty years or more but never really took to it. There it sits, looking somewhat sad and forlorn on a bathroom shelf.

I know it still works as I plugged it in the other (ahem) year - or two - and it still does its stuff

Perhaps I had better give it another go.....

PS. I take on board these helpful tips on usage - I just remember being sprayed with cold water and soaking half of the bathroom.

CaroleLM16 Fri 11-Dec-20 18:10:28

I’m was thinking of buying one and definitely will now after reading these responses. What make is the one you use? Thanks!

MrsDally Fri 11-Dec-20 18:42:30

I had a water pik which I loved (and my dentist did see an improvement to my gums). When that stopped working I bought one that uses air which I find easier to use.

Kryptonite Fri 11-Dec-20 19:31:52

Sold!!

oryx1 Fri 11-Dec-20 22:05:50

I absolutely love mine. It is a DentJet. I brush my teeth first then use this machine. My teeth feel so clean afterwards, so I definitely recommend them. I've had mine for about a year.
Just remember to lean over the bathroom basin. Some people say they are a bit messy, but the result is really worth it.

NanKate Fri 11-Dec-20 22:27:00

I’m tempted. For those of you who use the Waterpik do you have the plug in one or the cordless type please ? Any preferences ?

Daisymae Fri 11-Dec-20 23:06:10

Oh dear, I find myself wanting one nowhmm

Angeleyes58xx Sat 12-Dec-20 09:53:25

Ngaio1 I wouldn’t recommend the water floss, as mine just stopped working, and I didn’t find any difference with my teeth, it’s a total waste of money.

J52 Sat 12-Dec-20 10:58:49

Interesting comments, I find the strong jet of water, doesn’t ‘just rinse the teeth’, it remove particles that cause the build up of plaque. Since using one, I’ve no build up in my tightly spaced teeth. So something good must be happening.
But each to their own!

travelsafar Sat 12-Dec-20 11:06:19

I received mine yesterday and have used it twice. It takes a bit of getting use to and the 1st time the water went every where. This morning's attempt was a bit better. I actually watched a couple of UTube vidieos on how to use correctly. I think it is a case of practise makes perfect. Maybe next time i will lean over the bath rather than the sink !!! LOl.

Tweedle24 Sat 12-Dec-20 11:46:26

Posset Sorry to disillusion you but, as they need to be used as well as the floss and interdent brushes, not instead of, he will be in there even longer!

Blossoming Sun 13-Dec-20 13:59:31

NanKate I have a cordless one.

Franbern Sun 13-Dec-20 17:56:38

Tweedle - so are the interdental brushes to be used before or after water flosser?
Got my water flosser a couple of days ago, and following lots of advice on here found it reasonably easy to use. After that I cleaned my teeth.
Previously, I cleaned my teeth, then used the interdental brushes.

grandmaz Mon 14-Dec-20 13:12:24

UPDATE: My water flosser has arrived and I am very pleased with it so far - yes it took a couple of goes to avoid spraying the bathroom walls, however once I'd worked it out, it was easy to use and leaves my mouth feeling 'visit to the dentist' clean smile It's a little larger than I had anticipated, however not to the extent where it is a problem. A great buy, one which I shall use daily...thanks again to Grandmagrotbags for a specific recommendation which I thoroughly endorse, if anyone else is considering one. smile

Tweedle24 Mon 14-Dec-20 14:32:15

Franbern I was told to use the water flosser last, after the interdent brushes and flossing. Others may have been told differently.

ruthie2 Tue 15-Dec-20 08:21:32

I'm obviously in the minority here but I tried one of these devices some time ago and found it messy and useless. You can't see what you're doing, where the water's going or what tooth you're aiming at. Silly wasteful gimmick. I'll stick with the interdental brushes.

Tweedle24 Tue 15-Dec-20 08:49:30

I didn’t say that, I too, gave up on mine. Dentist and hygienist still say my dental hygiene is excellent.

Franbern Tue 15-Dec-20 09:15:14

I have been told that NOTHING should be done after actual tooth brushing (electric toothrush), as we need to let the toothpaste stay to do its work. So, I use the water flosser before I clean my teeth.
Perhaps I will compromise and stick to that routine for my evening clean, and start to use my interdental brushes for my morning clean.

Tweedle24 Tue 15-Dec-20 12:59:16

My hygienist told me to use my floss and interdental brushes at night rather than in the morning. This means the gubbins between your teeth don’t sit there all night.