Gransnet forums

Health

Fostair Nexthaler

(18 Posts)
Debs14 Sun 22-Jan-23 16:48:26

Spacer can’t be used with fostair nexinhaler dpi.

Debs14 Sun 22-Jan-23 16:46:24

A Fostair ne inhaler is a dry powder inhaler so you can’t use a space with it. I’ve been on this for a few weeks too and I tremble badly for a few minutes after using it.

silversurf Wed 24-Feb-21 21:46:06

I use the normal Fostair with a spacer for COPD.
I get shaking in my right arm and hand and have to lift a cup or glass in my left hand.
I also get bruise like marks on my hands and lower arms and bruise very easily.
My COPD nurse says these are side effects of the Fostair.
But it’s worth it to help with my breathing and coughing.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 24-Feb-21 20:32:03

rebecca check with your GP, but it’s common to get the shakes when you first start on Fostair.
If I have to raise my dosage I still get the trembles and shakes.

Rebecca23 Wed 24-Feb-21 20:15:01

May I ask what heart medication you are on? I've just started Fostair and am experiencing the shakes. I also take a beta blocker for a heart condition. It states Fostair shouldn't be taken with a beta blocker. So I'm a little worried!

rascal Sat 02-Jan-21 22:00:13

Yes, no spacer with this one. smile

phoenix Sat 02-Jan-21 18:34:16

Just to say that the type of Fostair described by the OP is a dry powder inhlaer, and as far as I'm aware, is not suitable for use with a spacer.

I've been changed from the "standard" Fostair ( i.e. a mist, like Ventolin) to Trimbow.

Also have Seebri, which is powder in a capsule, put it in a little gadget, press the sides to puncture the capsule, then inhale the powder.

rascal Sat 02-Jan-21 16:40:52

Thank you everyone. The Fostair Nexthaler has helped the terrible cough. I now only take one puff in the morning and one in the evening. The shakes and trembling has stopped which is good. I phoned gp as asked and he said the preventative heart medication is definitely fine with the inhaler, so onwards and upwards! Thank you all again. Best Wishes flowers

Alishka Tue 22-Dec-20 17:47:46

rascal as I recall, using a mouthwash after was recommended to me too.smile
All the best to you.

PollyDolly Mon 21-Dec-20 12:07:13

I e been on Fostair through an AeroChamber for years. At the onset of the pandemic this particular one became very scarce and my GP prescribed a Fostair Nexthaler. This isn't taken through a chamber and it didn't suit me at all, it had no effect on my asthma whatsoever. My asthma nurse immediately put me back on the original Fostair, stocks were chased by the pharmacy and I'm never without it now.

Seemingly, it doesn't suit everyone and in your position I think I would be speaking to the GP again.

Best wishes and I hope you get this sorted!

rascal Sat 19-Dec-20 21:04:10

Thank you for the info. I'm finding that the inhaler seems to be making the back of my throat sore. I use mouthwash after every time I use it. Hope it clears up soon. Many thanks again. smile

Alishka Sat 19-Dec-20 19:23:40

Hello rascal, I use a spacer too. It's called an *AeroChamber Plus*manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline.
Hope this helpssmile

rascal Fri 18-Dec-20 22:56:20

Thank you for that. I was told to rinse my mouth after using the inhaler. I will mention spacer when I phone gp next week. I think the inhaler is still helping the cough which is good. Thank you for all your help with this. Have a good weekend. smile

Situpstraight2 Thu 17-Dec-20 20:44:15

Most asthma nurses like you to use a spacer, in fact it’s the first thing they ask us when we call them with any problems, it ensures that you get all of the spray into your lungs and is much easier to use, as I always ended up with spray/powder all over my tongue!
You can get them at the chemist or online for about £6.
If the spray is helping then that’s good , maybe you don’t have Asthma but if it improves your breathing then you might have it as well as your other problems.
I only got Asthma about 4/5 years ago.

rascal Thu 17-Dec-20 10:14:05

Thank you for replying. There seems to be two types of Fostair inhalers. Mine is Fostair Nexthaler and is a dry powder that's inhaled. I don't know what a spacer is, don't have one. I have significant heart failure and was told heart now is not pumping right and is causing congestion in lungs so was wondering if its not asthma I have. The inhaler is helping the cough which is worse at night. Its good to know the shakyness and trembling will go in time. Many thanks for your help with this thanks

Situpstraight2 Thu 17-Dec-20 08:32:38

PS, I would say though that if the Fostair doesn’t sort your problem quickly that you might have a chest infection ? when my chest crackles it’s rarely the Asthma, so get back to your GP after a couple of days. Then you can check that the Fostair is ok with your other meds.
I asked my Asthma Nurse how long I should let any lung problems go on before I contacted her (expecting her to say 7 days) and she said within 24 hours if it doesn’t improve, if you have a chest infection Fostair won’t cure it.

Situpstraight2 Thu 17-Dec-20 08:28:24

I’m on Fostair and yes, you do tremble and shake when you first use it, when I first had it I had to sit down for a while after using it.
But it will pass.
3 years later and it’s all good, I use a spacer as directed by my Asthma nurse and I’m assuming that you do as well, if not please get one, that way all the Fostair gets into your lungs.
Sometimes I have to use it 8 times a day if I have a problem,plus Ventolin, but it doesn’t cause me to shake and tremble any more.
Good luck.

rascal Thu 17-Dec-20 07:07:25

Does anyone use this inhaler please? GP prescribed it this week, says for late onset asthma. I have ischemic heart disease, atrial fibrillation and mitral valve regurgitation. I get congestion in my lungs. Sometimes I waken up with terrible coughing, crackling when breathing and I feel I'm drowning. This happened very early this morning again.
I've to take two puffs of this inhaler morning and evening which causes me slight shaking and inner trembling. This seems to be because the inhaler acts like adrenaline which seems to make my heart race and makes my face warm. I'm on preventative medication for the heart condition one of which is to slow my heart down. I've to phone gp next week to let him know how I'm doing on the inhaler. I was wondering if anyone else gets these symptoms with this inhaler and do they stop after the body gets used to it? Many thanks for any help with this. smile