Gransnet forums

Health

ambulance called by 111

(479 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 27-Dec-20 08:13:32

My DH just been taken into hospital with an irregular heartbeat, low oxygen and breathlessness worse than normal due to COPD. He has been unwell since xmas eve and we have tried to cope at home with calls to 111 and gp ringing us back with prescription for antibiotics and steriods as he is prone to chest infections. But this morning we had to admitt defeat. Hoping they will discharge later today as dont really want him staying in there, also that they will sort out what ever the issue is. sad

Kim19 Mon 28-Dec-20 05:38:25

Hello T. Just thinking of you in your plight and hoping you get some physical rest even though there won't be much in the mental arena. Good luck to you both?

Bathsheba Mon 28-Dec-20 08:29:03

I am so sorry to read this travelsafar, what a worry for you. I do hope your DH gets through this safely and that you will be OK. Sending (((hugs))) xx

Daisymae Mon 28-Dec-20 08:36:00

Sorry to hear that. Hope that your husband is feeling a bit better and you have had some rest too. Best wishes x

Greyduster Mon 28-Dec-20 08:37:57

I’m sorry to hear about your DH, travels - I can understand your worries; my DH also has COPD. I’m sure they’ll take the very best care of him and I hope he comes home to you soon.?

Shropshirelass Mon 28-Dec-20 08:38:50

I know how you feel. My husband collapsed on Boxing Day, paramedics were great, he is still in hospital and don’t know when he will be home. He is still waiting for tests etc. He has been shielding since March and this is the last thing we wanted but he had to go in. Fingers crossed for you.

mokryna Mon 28-Dec-20 08:42:14

How are you feeling today, have you tested yourself yet or are you waiting? Look after yourself.

Oldbutstilluseful Mon 28-Dec-20 08:43:05

Really sorry to hear this. Sending best wishes for your DH to have a speedy recovery and for you to stay well ?

M0nica Mon 28-Dec-20 09:15:16

All my sympathy, I do hope your DH is home soon travelsafar. But despite COVID isn't the NHS effective? DH is in hospital. I dialled 111, they called an ambulance and it was at the door almost before I had put the phone down.

Marydoll Mon 28-Dec-20 09:39:46

Shropshirelass , as a fellow shielder, I can understand the fear of having to go to hospital.
I can't go to any hospital appointments nor the GP surgery on the advice of my consultants.
A couple of times, my husband has wanted to phone 111 and I have refused, because hospital was the last place I wanted to be.

However, your husband is in the right place for him at the moment, where everything will be done to keep him safe. Hopefully you will have him home with you soon. ?

travelsafar, I hope you are doing OK this morning.

Hetty58 Mon 28-Dec-20 09:45:53

Marydoll, do bear in mind that, if you're ill and an ambulance is called, they can check you over, do an ECG etc. - and still, it's entirely up to you whether you want to go to hospital.

Marydoll Mon 28-Dec-20 09:53:25

Hetty, thanks, I'm well aware of that.
I have multiple comorbidities, know my conditions and exactly when to call. It's usually me that asks DH to do it.

The last time I needed help, he faffed about. I insisted he phone for help and spent four days in coronary care with a serious allergic reaction and an undiagnosed heart condition.
He now panics if I feel unwell. My consultant does not want me in hospital, unless it is absolutly necessary, as I'm immunosuppressed and shielding under three different categories. I know when I need to seek help.

M0nica Mon 28-Dec-20 11:47:35

Infection control in hospitals is naturally very much better than it was at the start of the pandemic. I think the cross infection rates in hospitals are now very low.

DH has been in hospiyal for the last seven weeks and I am not aware of even a suggestion of any cross infection of COVID. DH had been having weekly COVID tests before he was admitted as he was part of the Oxford Astra-Zeneca Phase 3 trial.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 28-Dec-20 12:09:27

Best wishes and hugs to you travelsafar at this worrying time. Also to you MOnica and others on GN whose loved ones are ill.
I hope you remain well travelsafar and that he will soon be well enough to come home.
Hospitals have so much more in their armoury to treat Covid than earlier in the year, and I agree they now have their act together with regard to PPE and cross infection.

Puzzler61 Mon 28-Dec-20 12:23:34

travelsafar if you read this today -
How is your husband?
Are you still waiting for a test to be sent to you?
Sending heartfelt wishes for some good news, maybe later today, from you? ?

Puzzler61 Mon 28-Dec-20 12:24:38

? to M0nica and good wishes for her OH too.

dragonfly46 Mon 28-Dec-20 12:27:27

Wondering how you both are Travelsofar. I do hope things are going better.

GillT57 Mon 28-Dec-20 12:47:01

Just picked up this thread, hope you are coping well and that your husband is responding well to treatment. PHoenix, hope you are recovering well.

crazyH Mon 28-Dec-20 12:51:32

Sorry to hear that Travelsfar

Kalu Mon 28-Dec-20 13:02:49

Hope you hear some good news today travelsfar and your DH is home soon. You will naturally be worried but please remember to look after yourself too. ?

Best wishes for your DH M0nica and to our dear Phoenix

Antonia Mon 28-Dec-20 15:36:04

Sorry to read this. He will get the treatment he needs in hospital, and I hope he is back home as soon as possible.

annsixty Mon 28-Dec-20 16:18:52

Dear travelsafar I have only just read this thread, so want to add my good wishes for a speedy recovery for your H and best wishes to you worrying at home.
flowers

NfkDumpling Mon 28-Dec-20 16:29:51

flowers and big all-enveloping virtual (((hugs))) travelsafar. And for Shropshirelass M0nica and Phoenix too.

Daddima Mon 28-Dec-20 16:50:35

Warm wishes for a speedy recovery for Mr Travels, and a negative result for you.

fevertree Mon 28-Dec-20 18:19:34

Best wishes to your husband for his recovery travelsafar - it must have been a shock to both of you.

It is really worrying that someone whom I assume took all precautions can catch it - where would he possibly have come into contact with Covid? I'm asking to learn, not out of curiosity.

travelsafar Tue 29-Dec-20 09:30:19

I have received my covid test it came yesterday. I will complete today and my sister will post in one of the priority post boxes for these kits. I am experiencing high temperatures, shivering and generally feeling unwell but thankfully no cough or anything more serious. Just had a text from DH they just cant get his oxygen levels up so no chance of him returning home until this happens. Also they will have to complete another Covid test before he is let out. Sad times. for us and so many others. sad