Gransnet forums

Health

Dry January

(87 Posts)
NanKate Mon 28-Dec-20 22:01:55

A couple of years back I did a dry January and I was thoroughly miserable, even though I followed the rules.

I was reading advice in the paper yesterday about the benefits of a dry January, such as better sleep, but I didn’t experience this.

I am not a big drinker and have more days off than on and keep within the limits for women.

Spag Bol without a glass of red wine just doesn’t cut it for me.

Are you giving up ?

Aepgirl Tue 29-Dec-20 20:23:09

I rarely drink more than 2 or 3 glasses of wine a week (I don’t drink on my own), but over Christmas I drank a good deal more as my family were with me (support bubble). I have now decided to at least try dry January, but doubt I will succeed.

M0nica Tue 29-Dec-20 23:18:20

I opened a good bottle of red on Christmas day and drank a glass, I had another glass with lunch on Boxing day, didn't bother Sunday and Monday and used it up in the ragu I cooked at lunch time.

Once Christmas and New Year are over, I may well not drink at all in January, DH is in hospital and when he comes home, he will be off alcohol. Nothing to do with Dry January.

I can never understand all this excitement about drinking alcohol. Most of it doesn't taste very good, the taste has to be acquired, it has a mind fuzzing affect on you when you drink more than about one glass and often leaves you feeling rotten the following day. I just do not understand why people seem so obsessed with it.

lincolnimp Wed 30-Dec-20 06:17:51

No, but I am doing REDJanuary, though in my case it will be more like walking everyday rathrr than running

Lucca Wed 30-Dec-20 06:45:24

I have a glass of wine every evening and think that’s fine.
Am I alone in finding older people drinking too much really distasteful? Well anyone really but more to be expected in young people.

I know a couple who do dry January then overdo it the rest of the time which seems weird. They’re both overweight because of the booze.

janeainsworth Wed 30-Dec-20 08:56:05

Monica I just do not understand why people seem so obsessed with it.
I have wine every evening with my meal. I’m not obsessed with it, though I’m quite interested in different types of wine.
I have porridge every morning for breakfast with fruit and Greek yoghurt, but I’m not obsessed with that either!

Kalu Wed 30-Dec-20 09:33:58

I have a glass of wine in the evening so I haven’t had the experience you personally describe Monica.

The taste of a good quality wine is very different from a cheap plonk. Enjoying a glass of wine isn’t something I am obsessed with, just something to enjoy in moderation.

tanith Wed 30-Dec-20 09:38:03

I’m a non drinker have been many years having been married to an alcoholic, but I do wonder why it doesn’t seem to worry people who say they’ll ‘try’ to have a dry January but probably won’t succeed or the thought of a dry month bothers them a lot. I would find that worrying. Of course the odd glass is perfectly ok I’m not disputing that.
Puts my hard hat on and ducks behind the sofa ?

Kalu Wed 30-Dec-20 10:00:11

I agree with you tanith. If you have to try not to have alcohol, I would think more than a dry January is needed.

Shropshirelass Wed 30-Dec-20 15:42:04

I haven’t had a drink for almost 18 months, I changed to the Ketogenic way of eating. Very low carb and sugar free. It was strange at first as I enjoyed a glass or two of wine but it had become a habit, one I didn’t want! I must say that I don’t miss it, I feel healthier and much better these days.

Grandmama Wed 30-Dec-20 20:08:55

Thank you, BlueSapphire, I'll try it.

Blossoming Thu 31-Dec-20 20:47:02

I seldom drink, in fact I can’t actually remember the last time. As we’re not able to eat out it’s even less frequent. Tonight, however, I’m seeing out the old year with a bottle of Jarl carried home from Loch Fyne in 2019.

Good luck with your resolutions everyone but it’s not really a problem I have. Perhaps I’m lucky that I can’t hold more than 1 glass...