Gransnet forums

Health

Covid vaccine

(69 Posts)
grannysyb Fri 08-Jan-21 13:55:56

DH is 82, diabetic and has back problems. Our surgery started by saying the vaccines roll out would be the 4th of January, now the 11th. Meanwhile friends living in different areas have had both doses! Also some areas seem to be vaccinating the 2nd group. I know its difficult for the NHS,but I do wonder why they couldn't set up a better system, it's seemed to be very hit and miss from the beginning. DHs daughter who is doctor on covid wards hasn't had hers but her husband in a different hospital had his in December.

EllanVannin Mon 11-Jan-21 13:02:59

Just had a phone-call to attend our local medical centre on Wednesday ( this week ) Receptionist asked if I was on blood-thinners to which I said yes and that it had bothered me with this vaccine, but she didn't say anything. Ah well !

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 13:03:25

Sparklefizz It would have been nice to see one somewhere between Birmingham and Newcastle perhaps in one of the big Yorkshre cities, York, Sheffield or Bradford. After all Surrey is only just outside London, as is Stevenage. As it is someone living in Yorkshire will need to travel either to Newcastle or to Manchester. Not an easy journey in this weather.

Alegrias1 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:05:19

I'm on Warfarin and was asked about it when I got the flu vaccine. The issue was that there might be some bleeding at the site of the injection. I expect it will be the same for the Covid vaccine.

Are you getting your vaccine EV? Exciting!!

libra10 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:08:50

My husband and I both had our first Pfizer injections at a hub 8 miles away last Thursday. We are in the 75 - 80 age group.
All went well, though we were told the second injection would be 10 to 12 weeks away.
A relation who is 80, and in a different area, has now had both jabs.

Sparklefizz Mon 11-Jan-21 13:11:07

trisher

Sparklefizz It would have been nice to see one somewhere between Birmingham and Newcastle perhaps in one of the big Yorkshre cities, York, Sheffield or Bradford. After all Surrey is only just outside London, as is Stevenage. As it is someone living in Yorkshire will need to travel either to Newcastle or to Manchester. Not an easy journey in this weather.

Parts of Surrey are 50 miles from London, trisher so not on the doorstep (I used to live there), but yes, it seems there do need to be more venues. Maybe they were set up according to levels of infection currently and numbers in London and the South East are very high.

Lewie Mon 11-Jan-21 13:17:03

Tricia there are hubs being set up at LeedsUnited and Huddersfield Town football grounds. Also Jacobs Well in Bradford and Navigation Walk in Wakefield.

rosie1959 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:22:56

I really don’t mind where the appointment is but in for a bit of a wait yet
There was some reports of people not turning up for appointments this is totally unacceptable

Peasblossom Mon 11-Jan-21 13:23:14

The London hub’s in Barnet.

Quite a long way from the hub in Surrey ?

Alegrias1 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:24:21

There are many more venues, including GP surgeries. These are the large hubs. One for each NHS region in England.

Nobody in Yorkshire will be expected to travel to Newcastle in a snowstorm.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 13:25:38

My 96 year old mother-in-law has heard nothing. She was on the phone to her surgery yesterday. They have no vaccine yet and no communication about it yet, apparently.

rosie1959 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:30:04

As I pointed out to my 88 year old relative who was complaining she hadn’t heard yet at least you are at the front of the queue it will be done shortly. I am much more concerned about my 33 year old daughter who is much further down I have seen pneumonia put her in intensive care twice and am so concerned what COVID would do to her

Rosalyn69 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:36:13

Our local surgery has just started vaccinating. I’m hopeful I will get my turn there.

Charleygirl5 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:46:33

Peasblossom I live in London and there is a site at Wembley and another in Harrow so slowly they are appearing. We just need sufficient vaccine now in our neck of the woods.

I know there have to be other sites in London- Guys hospital is one, I know my local is not. We are slowly getting there.

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 15:45:56

Sparklefizz

trisher

Parts of Surrey are 50 miles from London, trisher so not on the doorstep (I used to live there), but yes, it seems there do need to be more venues. Maybe they were set up according to levels of infection currently and numbers in London and the South East are very high.

I actually know Surrey as well (us Northerners do travel you know). There is 50 miles between Barnett and Epsom. It's nearly 90 miles from Manchester to Birmingham and 150 miles from Manchester to Newcastle across some of the highest peaks in England, in the snow. But 50 miles with decent public transport - rail and tube is too far for a Southerner! Well there you have it- The Great Divide!

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 15:48:25

Just spoke to a friend in the London area and they have had first and second doses already at their surgery. Neither 80+ nor vulnerable.

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 15:54:02

If I'd said that about England Call I'd be in trouble grin

Wales is trailing behind, goodness' knows what's going on now.

Casdon Mon 11-Jan-21 16:02:34

If you are offered a vaccine at a hub you are likely to get it sooner. The Astra-Zeneca vaccine is still in very short supply nationwide. It was reported on the news today that Wales has received 250,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine so far, but only 22,500 doses of the Astra-Zeneca one. It is allocated proportionately across the UK. Not all GP practices who have signed up to give vaccines have any stock yet, and many, particularly smaller, practices throughout the UK don’t have the resources to provide vaccines.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 11-Jan-21 17:59:17

trisher

7 centres for vaccination- They are in London, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Surrey and Stevenage
Anyone notice a bit of a southern bias?

Not very convenient for me (mid Cornwall). Bristol is about 3 hrs (150 miles) away.

2 surgeries are about 7 miles away. One has just had vaccine delivered the other still waiting for some.

Sparklefizz Mon 11-Jan-21 18:01:30

trisher why are you trying to stir up trouble?

Casdon Mon 11-Jan-21 18:15:00

I live in Wales, so no axe to grind on English vaccination centre locations - but it’s clear from the statistics that the locations are based on population numbers. There is no southern bias. Of course it’s difficult to get to if you live a long way away from a centre, but there will be alternative venues, albeit you may have to wait a bit longer. www.statista.com/statistics/294681/population-england-united-kingdom-uk-regional/

SuzannahM Mon 11-Jan-21 18:50:27

I live in Surrey and the nearest one to me is about 3 miles away (by car) - I found it by checking on a Surrey website using my postcode. Aren't the hubs more distribution centers rather than just vaccination points??

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 19:34:05

I watched BBC Points West this evening and a woman from, I think, Bristol said she had been offered two alternative venues for her vaccination - Birmingham and Epsom.
She said her mobility scooter needed recharging every 4 miles so it could take her some time to reach either!
It was obviously a blip in the system.

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 19:35:18

Casdon

I live in Wales, so no axe to grind on English vaccination centre locations - but it’s clear from the statistics that the locations are based on population numbers. There is no southern bias. Of course it’s difficult to get to if you live a long way away from a centre, but there will be alternative venues, albeit you may have to wait a bit longer. www.statista.com/statistics/294681/population-england-united-kingdom-uk-regional/

Even on population Casdon it doesn't work out _London & South East approx 17. mill-3 centres
North West, North East, Yorkshire and Humberside approx 14 mill-2 centres
West &East Midlands approx 10 mill 1 centre.

vampirequeen Mon 11-Jan-21 19:44:10

My uncle has had both his jabs. My mam who is his older sister hasn't even been invited yet. They both live in the same area.

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 19:45:04

As soon as the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine roll-out is really underway the vaccines will be offered very locally at surgeries pharmacies and mobile units.