Gransnet forums

Health

Covid vaccine

(69 Posts)
grannysyb Fri 08-Jan-21 13:55:56

DH is 82, diabetic and has back problems. Our surgery started by saying the vaccines roll out would be the 4th of January, now the 11th. Meanwhile friends living in different areas have had both doses! Also some areas seem to be vaccinating the 2nd group. I know its difficult for the NHS,but I do wonder why they couldn't set up a better system, it's seemed to be very hit and miss from the beginning. DHs daughter who is doctor on covid wards hasn't had hers but her husband in a different hospital had his in December.

Casdon Mon 11-Jan-21 20:05:19

If you want the detail trisher here’s a summary:
3 centres covering: London 8.96m,, SE 9.18m, East 6.24m - total 24.38m
1 centre covering SW total 5.82m - NB this covers Cornwall which is geographically remote.
I centre covering EM, WM total 10.77m
1 centre covering NW Total 7.34m
1 centre covering Yorkshire and Humber and NE 6.17m
It’s not a perfect system, the country doesn’t divide into 7 perfect geographical sections - but it’s pretty close given the different considerations they have had to take into account. As I said, I’m not invested in this as I’m in Wales anyway, but I don’t like claims which don’t have a factual basis.

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 20:21:56

Casdon why have you added the East to London and the S, E?
Geographically speaking it is nearer Birmingham
Which actually gives a total population for Birmingham of 17.03 million.
It's also unreasonable to divide the NE, NW, Yorkshire and Humberside because the distances are so large. Many from Y&H are nearer Manchester than Newcastle.

Alegrias1 Mon 11-Jan-21 20:40:26

Re the locations of the vaccine hubs; at the risk of repeating myself, it is one per NHS Region in England.

East of England
London
Midlands
North East and Yorkshire
North West
South East
South West

Nothing sinister.

Mamardoit Mon 11-Jan-21 20:52:18

trisher

7 centres for vaccination- They are in London, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Surrey and Stevenage
Anyone notice a bit of a southern bias?

Hard luck if you live in the Eastern counties.

Casdon Mon 11-Jan-21 21:19:38

The majority of the East isn’t nearer Birmingham trisher, it’s nearer to the SE sites. Humber is with the North.

In any case I thought your concern was about the north being disadvantaged, and Birmingham’s in the midlands? I do agree about the East, but there isn’t a perfect solution is there - and as pointed out vaccinations will be available at local level anyway, so this really isn’t an issue.

Casdon Mon 11-Jan-21 21:26:34

And for what it’s worth, the most geographically disadvantaged in England are definitely those in southern Cornwall - I just checked, and it’s 190 miles from Penzance to Bristol, if anybody’s interested.

vegansrock Mon 11-Jan-21 21:45:45

Surely it is linked to population numbers? If you live in a leafy rural area with a smaller population , the chances of having a centre on your doorstep are going to be lower than if you live in a densely populated urban area, Anyway I’m having my first one tomorrow and looking forward to it.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 11-Jan-21 21:52:29

I've already posted about Cornwall (where I live). It takes me 3 hours to drive to Bristol when there are no hold up.

I live mid Cornwall and lucky to live close to the A30. . I have friends in Helston. It takes them 4 hours to drive to Bristol.

NotTooOld Mon 11-Jan-21 22:05:46

No need to get anxious about this. If you receive a letter offering you an appointment for a vaccine at one of the big hubs, you can accept the offer and make an appointment, or you can ignore the letter. If you ignore the letter you will later be offered an appointment by your GP surgery.

Jaxjacky Mon 11-Jan-21 22:23:39

Our local vaccinations started before Christmas at one surgery acting as a ‘mini hub’ for 4 others too as they have the cold storage capability for the Pfizer vaccine, they will have vaccinated over 3,000 by the end of this week.

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 22:49:26

Alegrias1

Re the locations of the vaccine hubs; at the risk of repeating myself, it is one per NHS Region in England.

East of England
London
Midlands
North East and Yorkshire
North West
South East
South West

Nothing sinister.

Exactly which NHS area are Surrey and Stevenage in?

Casdon Mon 11-Jan-21 23:04:17

You could look this up for yourself. Stevenage is in Hertfordshire. Hertfordshire is one of the home counties in southern England. It is bordered by Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire to the north, Essex to the east, Greater London to the south, and Buckinghamshire to the west. For government statistical purposes, it is placed in the East of England region. Wikipedia

Surrey is in South East Region.

Shall we sign in blood?

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:51:21

All the vaccination sites in England:
www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/01/Map-showing-the-vaccination-services-across-the-country-11-January-2021-min.pdf

All the vaccination sites in Scotland:
www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/advice-and-guidance/2020/12/coronavirus-covid-19-update-on-vaccinations/documents/vaccination-locations-overview-january/vaccination-locations-overview-january/govscot%3Adocument/Covid19%2BVaccination%2BLocations%2BOverview%2B-%2BJanuary.pdf

Sorry, don't have Wales or NI but I'm sure its exists somewhere.

Megs36 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:02:45

Jennifer Eccles. Well put. The logistics must be a nightmare.I am just grateful to get the opportunity, We are so much luckier in this country than millions of others.

trisher Tue 12-Jan-21 10:42:57

Stevenage is 30 miles from London. Epsom is 17 miles from London. You can argue NHS areas if you wish. It's still massively London/southern centric

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:50:36

Its London centric because England and its population are London centric. This is such a non-problem.

I'll complain that its England centric, shall I? No hubs at all in Scotland. Terrible. Oh wait, 2 locations within a mile of where I live where I can get vaccinated. Elderly parents are within walking distance of theirs, even though they live in a small town in Aberdeenshire.

In other news, 96% of people in England live within 10 miles of a location where they can get the vaccine. There is nothing to complain about.

westendgirl Tue 12-Jan-21 10:54:56

Just because you live in greater London it doesn't mean you are getting the vaccine. I have heard nothing, am 83 and wonder what is happening.
I live in west london about 12 miles from the centre.

Callistemon Tue 12-Jan-21 10:55:07

There is nothing to complain about.
I agree

Except why should the English get it before the Welsh!!

(No need to answer)