Gransnet forums

Health

Covid vaccine

(68 Posts)
grannysyb Fri 08-Jan-21 13:55:56

DH is 82, diabetic and has back problems. Our surgery started by saying the vaccines roll out would be the 4th of January, now the 11th. Meanwhile friends living in different areas have had both doses! Also some areas seem to be vaccinating the 2nd group. I know its difficult for the NHS,but I do wonder why they couldn't set up a better system, it's seemed to be very hit and miss from the beginning. DHs daughter who is doctor on covid wards hasn't had hers but her husband in a different hospital had his in December.

vampirequeen Sat 09-Jan-21 10:50:44

This is another government initiative. What do you expect?

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 10:59:01

The Pfizer vaccine seemed patchy because only a few hubs could deal with the stringent requirements. So my nephews hospital had no vaccine but the bigger one some miles away did.

There was no way to spread the Pfizer evenly. And as I posted on another thread some relatives got it by chance because people didn’t turn up for their vaccine appointment so they gave the vaccine to whoever was available rather than waste it.

Charleygirl5 Sat 09-Jan-21 11:14:47

I know where to go for my vaccine, no transport and very limited parking but there is no vaccine available for this area just yet. I could do a better job organising and I would do it for free!

I agree it is very hit and miss and the qualifying age keeps moving- here it is 80+ again. A week ago it was 75+, my group.

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 11:27:20

Go on then Charleygirl. Tell us how you would organise it?

JenniferEccles Sat 09-Jan-21 11:32:11

We all need to remember that this is a massive undertaking for the government and everyone involved in the rollout of vaccinating virtually the entire population.

There are bound to be problems along the way with inconsistencies aren’t there? It’s pointless complaining for instance that a chap down the road had his vaccine before us even though he is younger because there are so many factors involved.

Surely we are all aware of the fact that a vaccination programme on this scale has never been undertaken before so we all have to be patient and wait our turn.

Alegrias1 Sat 09-Jan-21 11:42:28

Hear hear Peasblossom and JE.

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 11:50:06

I'd call in the Army's Royal Logistics Corps. Efficient, organised, experienced and unflappable.

Oh - haven't they just done that?
Things should speed up now as long as the vaccines are available.

nanna8 Mon 11-Jan-21 11:28:39

Someone suggested they train up all the online parcel deliverers from Amazon and eBay - it would be done within a week hehe

Sparklefizz Mon 11-Jan-21 11:42:01

grannysyb Surely it depends on how many people in your particular area are ahead of your husband in the queue as regards age and health. Some areas have a higher proportion of older people than others.

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 11:46:27

Wouldn't it be sensible to do it through GPs like the flu vaccine? The mnister responsible has just made a statement about how far people are having to travel. Apparently eventually we will all be within 10 miles of a vaccination centre (no idea when that will be). 10 miles can be an awful long way if you are sheltering and need to use public transport. Usual government cock up.

Charleygirl5 Mon 11-Jan-21 11:47:10

Peasblossom for starters I would take over the ground floor of the Civic Centre- very spacious and people would not have to queue outside in the cold. There is ample parking and the bus stops outside. Is that okay?

EllanVannin Mon 11-Jan-21 11:54:12

This is what I thought trisher.Everyone has a GP in their area I'd have thought.

Peasblossom Mon 11-Jan-21 12:00:38

Umm, not sure that would do for the rest of the country, Charleygirl?

Sara1954 Mon 11-Jan-21 12:00:39

I’m not a fan of the current government, but this is a massive undertaking, perhaps we should start focusing on what they have done, rather than what they haven’t

Peasblossom Mon 11-Jan-21 12:06:04

It is being done through GPS. Those that have agreed to do it. Some have refused.

The hubs are to provide extra to get it done ASAP. You can turn down your hub vaccination and wait for your GP to fit you in, if you want. It’ll depend on how many priority patients they have, for how long you’ll have to wait. They have to do their regular work too.

We’re heavily weighted to an older population. I’ll be taking my hub vaccine when it comes.

EllanVannin Mon 11-Jan-21 12:10:06

It's the young who are the spreaders, they should be done first to also avoid catching the virus as well.

EllanVannin Mon 11-Jan-21 12:13:57

MMR and whooping cough vaccines are given while young to prevent an epidemic of those diseases, and viruses etc. are no different.

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 12:47:53

7 centres for vaccination- They are in London, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Surrey and Stevenage
Anyone notice a bit of a southern bias?

Sparklefizz Mon 11-Jan-21 12:51:37

trisher where did you want them to be?

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 12:54:05

Anyone notice a bit of a southern bias?
Well, I did notice a bit of a bias towards England!

Arent they are being rolled out to GP surgeries?

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jan-21 12:55:32

On fb they’re saying get Aldi to do it they ll all be done in a day
It is a dreadful muddle though My three older friends (over 80 and from three different surgeries) have all had their first and second vaccines at a local Surgery which is being used just for that alone so a local hub
I hope they continue that for my age group as I couldn’t get to any of those places The nearest would be 120 miles ??

Alegrias1 Mon 11-Jan-21 12:57:19

If I'd said that about England Call I'd be in trouble grin

1,100 vaccination sites opened up in Scotland today. We're getting 8.2% of the available vaccines, we've got 8.2% of the population of the UK. Doing OK so far.

annodomini Mon 11-Jan-21 12:58:33

Surrey? that's rather vague. There must be a central hub somewhere in the county!

annodomini Mon 11-Jan-21 13:02:11

The group practice of which I am a registered patient is vaccinating 80s and over in the Civic Hall on Friday and Saturday, Care Homes, residents and staff next week. There isn't a hub within 10 miles - well, not yet anyway.