Gransnet forums

Health

Rummage Box for Dementia

(29 Posts)
SuzannahM Sat 09-Jan-21 14:00:26

Hi everyone
I am making a 'rummage box' for my DF who has dementia (Parkinsons). Something to keep his hands and mind busy basically. I am looking for ideas for things to put in the box. So far I have
- a cuddly toy
- a small photograph album with pics of the family
- a small jigsaw made from a pic of him and my DM
- a stress ball and soft tennis ball that he can 'scrunch' and squeeze
- crayons and a small notepad with strong paper to draw on

I've seen a special Rubiks cube with less squares per side but don't know if that would drive my DM demented if it squeaks!

Can anyone think of anything else small that he could fiddle with? His dementia is now quite advanced, so books and anything that requires him to be mentally aware are pretty much out of the question, and I don't want anything too babyish.

Chardy Sat 09-Jan-21 20:45:09

Our group each made a twiddle blanket. The base can be sewn, knitted or crocheted, with zips, buttons with loops, bobbles, bells, ribbons, shoe laces etc on top.

SuzannahM Sun 10-Jan-21 17:17:15

Just finished reading all your posts - my thanks to you all for your suggestions.

BladeAnnie you are so very kind to offer! I spent the evening crocheting a square (about the limit of my abilities grin) and have loads of buttons and things to attach so will do that.

After thinking about the posts suggesting things to do with work this morning I cut a small section of wood from an offcut hanging around the garage and painted it. This afternoon I drilled some holes and attached some nuts and bolts and wingnuts. I have a small spanner I can live without that fits the bolts.

I also found an old plastic case with a clear top (like those you buy a pen and pencil set in) and cut some polystyrene packing to fit the bottom with a round runnel down the middle. Three of my OH's old marbles run up and down when you move it about. Took a few attempts to make it all fit properly but it works.

I've also gathered up a bunch of keys and attached them to an old keyring.

So I think his box is now going to be quite full! All I have to do now is cover the box and post it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your ideas. They've been tremendously helpful.

SueDonim Sun 10-Jan-21 17:29:58

That’s lovely, Suzannah. I hope your DF enjoys his new pastimes.