Gransnet forums

Health

I think I have just broken a rib!!

(42 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 11-Jan-21 13:23:17

I was trying to pull a tool from the bottom of my Dyson and there was a ghastly scrunching sound in my chest under my left arm - ouch. I am taking painkillers; and just assuming that there is nothing to be done except wait for it to mend.

Do not buy a Dyson! There is nothing about it that is good. Mine has been sent back twice because of breakages or non-functioning of the dust container opening mechanism. The plastic parts of the machines are very flimsy indeed and often very hard to remove tools to change them.

I am hoping that I will be able to manage to get undressed for bed tonight!

Llamedos13 Sat 16-Jan-21 14:27:37

Ha ha Miss Adventure, did you have to explain what happened to a dr? I had to go to the dr. a few days after my mishap as I was having breathing difficulties, he looked positively suspicious when I explained what happened.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 14:48:25

I didn't go to the doctors, but I did google, and it was quite amazing how many women had ribs broken by being picked up off their feet by men.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 24-Jan-21 11:23:24

Sorry about your problem. I broke a rib while oh holiday abroad some years ago. I slipped in the bath while having a shower. The pain was awful but especially when trying to get up in the morning.
Agree about Dyson and would never buy another or anything else with its name on it. I replaced it years ago with a Sebo and just recently bought a second and relegated the other one, still working well, for upstairs cleaning. I did this as beginning to get worried about Brexit and my SIL bought one on my recommendation and was raving about it and it had a light on it which lights up the dust you might not see. So I just had to have that light!!!

GagaJo Sun 24-Jan-21 11:48:43

How are you doing now, Luckygirl?

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jan-21 13:33:01

It's not too bad thanks - not getting worse, but slowly improving. I am lucky that it has not impeded my breathing. Lungs all intact it would seem!

Callistemon Sun 24-Jan-21 13:46:11

Good; it takes time but should heal slowly on their own.

Take care - no sudden sneezes!!

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jan-21 13:54:29

Ah yes - sneezing!

LauraNorder Sun 24-Jan-21 13:55:39

A little tip re sneezing, if you feel the urge to sneeze, push your tongue hard against the roof of your mouth. It will either stop the sneeze or make it much less powerful.
Hope you feel better soon

Callistemon Sun 24-Jan-21 14:01:04

I'll try to remember that, LauraNorder, thanks

I don't think I've sneezed since my ribs recovered but I did have a couple of sneezes every night when they were painful although I didn't have a cold.
Sod's Law!

GagaJo Sun 24-Jan-21 14:02:46

Glad it is bearable LG. Broken ribs can be excruciating.

Urmstongran Sun 24-Jan-21 19:32:51

Himself just got a message from his Rangers-fan friend in Malaga. He has a broken rib. He was leaning out of his apartment window earlier in the week , painting the ledge, leaned too far and OW!!

Sounds as though it’s easily done.

EllanVannin Sun 24-Jan-21 19:45:49

Our bones aren't as supple as they used to be unfortunately and as many have mentioned just sneezing can crack a rib and there's nothing you can do apart from rest.

Cnash Fri 05-Feb-21 10:55:00

According to their site it is made in China but aren’t they all!

growstuff Fri 05-Feb-21 14:57:31

Luckygirl I assume you've been tested for osteoporosis. My mother kept cracking her ribs after all sorts of minor activities.

clementine Fri 05-Feb-21 16:37:15

I have the same thing, more like stained ribs, but lying down or turning in bed is excruciating . I was a youtube video where you make a nest either side of you with pillows, then when you need to turn in bed it's more just a gentle roll as the pillows support you. I tried it a couple of nights ago and it was much more comfortable . Doctor in A & E told me takes exactly six weeks to heal . Ive to go back if no better. Only reason I went was I have Osteoporosis so was concerned I had broken more than one ! Take care .

ElaineI Fri 05-Feb-21 23:27:39

A patient of mine broke a rib by sneezing!