Gransnet forums

Health

Poor memory

(67 Posts)
overthehill Sun 17-Jan-21 23:26:18

I have and have always had, a poor memory.

This hasn't affected my day to day life, but just recently I wondered if there is a cause, or it's just one of those things.

After doing a bit of research I discovered that if you had a difficult childhood as I did, it can affect your memory.

I wasn't physically or sexually abused, but I suffered mental anguish due to the treatment from my mother.

This discovery I found interesting. I had no problem learning at school so must have been able to retain information, my problem is recall of certain things. Of course getting older doesn't help, but I have the same all my adult life.

Another thing which I notice about myself is, I am inclined to remember bad times with more clarity than good times.

I must add I am not a depressive and look on the sunnyside of life

Puzzled Mon 18-Jan-21 19:27:38

Have always had a problem with being able to remember part of someone's name (Christian or Surname) but not always both.
Now can often recall details from times past, but need to concentrate on immediate matters.
As my wife's aunt said at my 60th (long time ago) "I often think about the hereafter. What am I here after?" Now I know what she meant!
Grateful not be like the friend's husband with Alzheimers
SO devastating, now, to see only very brief glimpses of a once witty intelligent man who sometimes seems hell bent of doing and going the opposite to everyone else.

Bijou Mon 18-Jan-21 20:15:47

I remember when I was just three my dad came to get me out of bed and started to dress me and put my liberty bodice inside out. Took me into their bedroom. My mother had just given birth to my sister and the midwife was just bathing thebaby.
I remember lots of incidents from when I was two.

grandma60 Mon 18-Jan-21 22:05:14

I can remember walking onto a flower bed and picking the flowers. My grandmother appeared and lifted me up. She died when I was 2 so I must have been very young.

welbeck Tue 19-Jan-21 04:31:08

bijou, how awful, a three year old having to wear a liberty bodice. i don't know quite what it is but i bet it was far from liberating and that a male child wasn't expected to wear one.
sounds like a nice memory though.

welbeck Tue 19-Jan-21 05:12:41

i am helped by writing things down. when i was studying too, that's what i did. and copy out quotations.
now i find that if i have made a shopping list, even if i forget to take it with me, i can usually recall most of what i had written on it.
i try to keep a diary too, even if only mundane entries.

Scentia Tue 19-Jan-21 06:32:13

welbeck I am sure a liberty bodice is just a woolly vest with buttons up the front to keep a child warm, not sure how it can be awful if you don’t know what one is!

Bluecat Tue 19-Jan-21 10:54:56

I do remember my liberty bodice. It was quite cosy and had rubber buttons. I remember my mum buttoning me into it, when I was very little. Probably about 3 years old.

timetogo2016 Tue 19-Jan-21 11:02:20

My memory is quite strange,i can remember things/conversations etc what happened years ago even to the point of where i was standing and sometimes what i was wearing.
Yet i have to sit and really think what i ate yesterday.
I put it down to todays living and memory overload.

Totallylost Tue 19-Jan-21 15:09:56

Might be worth looking up Aphantasia and SDAM I found out last year I have both of these conditions, it makes so much sense of my life

Doodle Tue 19-Jan-21 22:16:23

Totallylost I have SDAM too. I gather we are quite unique. You are the only other person I have come across with this apart from Dominic Lawson.

welbeck Wed 20-Jan-21 07:37:40

ok i admit ignorance on the liberty bodice front. just sounds odd to me. why not wear a vest. what are the buttons for. it sounds like a specifically female item of underwear, which seems odd to me for an infant.

Laughterlines Wed 20-Jan-21 07:53:13

welbeck

ok i admit ignorance on the liberty bodice front. just sounds odd to me. why not wear a vest. what are the buttons for. it sounds like a specifically female item of underwear, which seems odd to me for an infant.

It was a second vest. Layering if you like. Years ago when there was no central heating, no warm anoraks, clothes on rations after the war it was a wonderful piece of clothing. The name is a bit unfortunate as it sounds less than liberating. Nearly all girls wore a liberty bodice when I was a girl and it had suspenders so you could keep up your dark brown lisle or woollen stockings. No tights or leggings then unfortunately.

Tinydancer Wed 20-Jan-21 17:50:25

I've just been watching the inauguration of Jo Biden.
Wow, so refreshing after the last four years. Let's hope he can achieve the unity he wants.

Tinydancer Wed 20-Jan-21 17:52:57

Admin, please delete. Sorry, this was meant to be a new post.
Thank you.

Shinamae Wed 20-Jan-21 17:56:19

I remember the liberty bodice well,rubber buttons. I can also remember being about 18 months old and dropping my nighttime milk bottle,back then they were made of glass and it shattered and I can just remember standing in a sea of milk. However asked me what happened two days ago and I have no clue ???‍♀️

Heidihi Wed 14-Apr-21 12:28:07

I looked for something on this subject as for the past year I have been forgetting names. Not just peoples names, but TV shows or films I have watched.
I have no problem with recall of events , but names? I have been so worried. Just hit 60, active nursing job but my mother developed dementia in her early 70's and it is on my mind constantly.