Gransnet forums

Health

No jab no job

(166 Posts)
grandmajet Thu 18-Feb-21 13:16:16

I’ve just read that no jab no job may become legal for new employees. What is your view on this?

Franbern Sun 21-Feb-21 12:36:16

suziewoozie I would agree Monica on this. Not forcing - (but hopefully, lots of gentle persuading) of existing residents of care homes, but then not permitting new people coming in if they do not have relevant vaccinations.

It was interesting that on a recent tv programme, where they took eight different people all refusing the vaccine that where they were given factual full information on these, all eight agreed to have it. Lots of work countering those dreadful, inaccurate and dangerous items on social media, etc. regarding this (and all) vaccines need to be carried out.

MissAdventure Sun 21-Feb-21 16:14:19

Incidentally, it doesn't matter if people pay handsomely or are funded by the state.
Human rights are for everyone equally.

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Feb-21 20:33:42

M0nica

*GrannyRose15*. There is no contradiction in my post. If someone in a job should have a jab and chooses not to, I would not say they should be sacked, although ideally they should be moved to work that requires less patient interaction, but if an employer is recruiting staff, it is quite reasonable for them to insist that applicants should have had the vaccineation.

The same thing with current residents, no-one already in care should be forced to have the vaccine if they choose not to, but it is quite reasonable to insist that vaccination is necessary for new residents.

A policy like this, does pose some risk to begin with but as residents die and staff leave, within a year or so the problem will be minimal.

What you are saying is that people have the right to choose but if they choose not to be vaccinated then they can't earn a living and therefore have to starve.

What sort of choice is that?

Galaxy - it sounds horrific to me too.

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Feb-21 20:35:07

MissAdventure

Incidentally, it doesn't matter if people pay handsomely or are funded by the state.
Human rights are for everyone equally.

Well we can agree on that, for certain.

MissAdventure Sun 21-Feb-21 20:40:43

Well, that's a first. smile
Long may it continue.

M0nica Sun 21-Feb-21 21:25:42

Grannyrose There is more than one job in the world, they could even stay in the same industry, providing they do not have patient/resident contact. No one is being deprived of a job. Just told that a job they had done was no longer available to someone without the vaccination.

There are all sorts of circumstances where people are restricted from following certain careers. Some professions require high standards of eyesight, teachers, doctors, nurses, police officers, all have to meet certain standards and can be barred from their profession. I think there are jobs where not having a tetanus jab and refusing to get one, could stop you joining a profession.

DH worked offshore at one point, they were not allowed offhsore for any time without an uptodate certificate of dental health and had to have regular medical checks.

The list of those whose job prospects on one career or another are too numerous to list.

MissAdventure Sun 21-Feb-21 21:36:02

Should families of care home residents be allowed to visit if they aren't vaccinated?

JaneJudge Sun 21-Feb-21 22:06:26

MissAdventure

Should families of care home residents be allowed to visit if they aren't vaccinated?

no but when are they going to get vaccinated?

M0nica Sun 21-Feb-21 22:19:25

Only if the resident is vaccinated and they will not come into contact with any other residents, wearing masks from home entrance into relative's room and back.

However that is almost an academic question as given the extreme age of most residents, the majority of their visitors, family and friends will already have been vaccinated, unless they have refused it.

MissAdventure Sun 21-Feb-21 22:21:42

It is almost academic, but then there are so many almost academic questions.
That's why the issue of consent is such a huge deal.

JaneJudge Sun 21-Feb-21 23:42:48

not all people that live in 'care homes' are old

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Feb-21 23:42:49

I do accept that there have always been reasons to get vaccinated. However if you read through this thread, and others, and accept all the reasons for why people are saying others must be vaccinated, it leaves very little space left for personal responsibility in this matter.

This, as I have said before, is compulsory vaccination by the back door and is totally unacceptable in my mind.

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Feb-21 23:49:13

...we are coming up for a year of deaths, lockdowns, businesses ruined, jobs lost, education in tatters and mental health, domestic violence and child abuse on the rise. All these can be laid at the door of Covid-19.

No they can't.

They are the result of our reaction, or as some might say, over-reaction to the virus.

M0nica Mon 22-Feb-21 07:48:01

JaneJudge, as I said; 'most' residents. The others include my learning disabled niece and both her parents have been vaccinated, because they are over 70.

JaneJudge Mon 22-Feb-21 11:24:36

M0nica

*JaneJudge*, as I said; 'most' residents. The others include my learning disabled niece and both her parents have been vaccinated, because they are over 70.

I am hoping now Jo Whiley's sister's case has been looked at they revisit looking at vaccinating people with LD in residential care (or even at home) My daughter still hasn't been called sad I hope Jo's sister is ok too. I hate covid, it has caused so much loss