Gransnet forums

Health

Heart surgery

(32 Posts)
Ilovedragonflies Mon 22-Feb-21 13:02:10

Good morning all,
I'm having a bit of a difficult day as my much loved sister is (quite literally) currently undergoing heart surgery. She's only 54. She's having her aortic valve replaced and it's an 8 hour op where she'll be on bypass machines. I'm terrified for her. Our mum passed at 53, probably from the same thing which wasn't recognised so well back in the 80s.
I don't, if I'm honest, know what to expect in reply to this. I think I may just have needed to offload.

B9exchange Wed 24-Feb-21 17:17:33

Only just caught up with this today, but what a wonderful outcome, so happy it all went well. She will soon be back to talking the hind leg off a donkey!

Ilovedragonflies Sun 28-Feb-21 10:38:57

...and she's home! How amazing is that? Less than a week in hospital for an operation that size. She's still slightly breathless but that's from where her lungs were supported for such a long time under anaesthetic but we talked for over an hour (on the phone) on Friday!
Again, thank you all for your support, and I'm glad that it's helped some of you who are still waiting for a date, even if only in a small way. Hopefully, it will happen soon xx

JaneJudge Sun 28-Feb-21 10:52:00

I'm so pleased your lovely sister is home smile isn't modern medicine wonderful

Peasblossom Sun 28-Feb-21 10:52:46

A fully fledged member of the zipper club?

Tell her not to lift that kettle!!!!?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 28-Feb-21 11:08:11

It's natural for you to be worried, but just think there have been tremendous advancements since your mum's day!

EllanVannin Sun 28-Feb-21 11:24:25

Such brilliant news flowers