Gransnet forums

Health

How to keep occupied during lockdown.

(58 Posts)
Children2 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:06:57

Hi I wondered if anyone here has ideas on simple things to pass the time and keep my mind occupied.Suffering from depression and anxiety and told to schedule days to keep busy, but it is hard.
Thank you for reading this.

Jeannie59 Mon 08-Mar-21 10:34:44

Can I ask where you found your free course please?

Damdee Mon 08-Mar-21 10:47:46

I think list making is a good idea. Have two lists - one very short, say three or four things that you want to achieve in the day e.g. go for a walk, clean the bathroom, ring best friend -and then tick them off when you've done them which will bring a sense of achievement and purpose. Then the other list will be things you want to do when you can or things you want to look into e.g. I had never heard of the diamond painting suggested earlier in this thread so I will look into that. Sometimes you may have to force yourself a bit to do things but you will feel better if you do. Good luck and God bless.

EmilyHarburn Mon 08-Mar-21 11:16:23

The British Heart Foundation are able to send you a label to print so that you can dispatch clothes etc.
Time for a Spring clear out?

If you're looking forward to the warmer weather and thinking about decluttering this Spring, take advantage of our free postal donation service. Whether you have winter clothing and accessories, collectables, tech or jewellery, simply download a free post label, package up your items and take them to your nearest Collect+ drop point when doing your next essential shop.

This will motivate me and possibly some of you contributing to this thread to pick an area one after another and get rid. After clothes, an excuse to buy something cheerful for spring if I get rid, the I am particularly interested in the Tech. I am keeping my amazon boxes to put these things in.

Hopefully Children 2 you will find some ideas that inspire you. I find it pays to have a diary and write in one or two activities for each day. This means that one is focused as one wakes up on doing those things and gets some satisfaction when you can tick them off.

I do have a list of things I want to watch on TV and on net flicks and I print these out for the week and make sure I get to see them. Having control like this does help cheer one up.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:17:55

I probably spend an hour each morning on GN!!

inishowen Mon 08-Mar-21 11:22:36

I have been knitting like a dervish. I had a huge amount of yarn and decided to knit hats and children's clothes for charity. I gave away a big box at Christmas and have filled the box again. I also read, watch a lot of TV, and garden.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 08-Mar-21 11:23:12

I've loads of hobbies and interests (crafts, play the piano, read, jigsaws) but have to confess to having some really 'down' days, I think because I'm almost doing them because I have no other choice to occupy my days, rather than choosing to do them, if that makes sense! I find setting myself a target or 2 for the day (eg get the washing done, or tackle a neglected corner of a room for a sort-out). Then when I've done those, it gives me a sense of achievement and then move on to a hobby. I'm now clinging on to the hope that the 'roadmap' dates don't get postponed, and we're on our way out of it all and can start having more freedom and choice in how we can spend our days.

Jillybird Mon 08-Mar-21 11:27:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Azalea99 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:41:36

I’m like FarNorth & JillyBird. I used to think that I was good at keeping my own company but now I realise I’m not. I used to make lists, but not anymore.
Does anyone remember an advert where the bank manager jumped out of a cupboard? I could really do with that man. Just someone to tell that I’ve added another couple of pieces to the jigsaw, that I finally put away the pile of neatly folded jumpers which have been in the bedroom for a couple of weeks. Just someone to share things with. I’d even keep his cupboard nice and clean and tidy, because he would definitely have to go back in there-particularly when the news came on!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:43:41

How about finding a free online language course and learning a new language or more of one you already know.

Happysexagenarian Mon 08-Mar-21 11:46:42

I too have lots of crafting interests - sewing, quilting, cardmaking etc. I treated myself to an embroidery/quilting machine which I'm still learning to use, currently embroidering designs for Easter cards. I'm also helping DH build me a sewing cabinet for the machine - bit of a challenge. I also like to read, do jigsaws, draw and paint and I've been experimenting with cutting toys and jigsaws on DH's new scroll saw. Although I really used to enjoy walking exercise doesn't feature much in my life now because of a health issue, but I do spend time in the garden pruning, digging and planting. Housework, cleaning and tidying gets done (occasionally) when I feel in the mood or I am shamed into it. Cooking and baking is just not on my agenda, ever !

LilyJ Mon 08-Mar-21 11:55:03

We too have returned to family history after many, many years. Wondering though which site you use or you would recommend if you don’t mind. Looked at the 2 biggest plus some smaller and trying to make up our mind!

Nanananana1 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:55:28

I read in a book by MichaelNeill about the Comfy Chair exercise. Sit in a comfortable chair and let thoughts drift through and ONLY get up IF you rally WANT to do something. If you feel you OUGHT TO or SHOULD do something, don't give in! If you fall asleep that is fine as you probably needed a rest. It is amazing how long I can sit there until I bounce up and get on with something I have the urge to do - go for a walk, potter in the garden, sort a drawer or bake a cake. This exercise helps you to recognise the urge itself, and respond to what is in your heart and not your head. Don't be too hard on yourself, we have all given up a little over the last year and aren't all busy-bees. Good luck with all the great suggestions on Gransnet, we are all waiting to hear about what you get up to, even if it is just a good nap!

jocork Mon 08-Mar-21 11:55:55

I watch far too much TV, including catching up on recordings. I'm usually doing other things at the same time though, pottering on the computer or sewing. In the first lockdown I did a bit of gardening as the weather was so much better and I'm looking forward to being able to do that again as the weather improves. I've made a lot of cards and small gifts for friends and family as I couldn't go shopping for them. I also went out blackberry picking and sloe picking in the late summer and autumn. I made spiced blackberry gin, which is delicious, and sloe gin, which is nice too. I've given some away as gifts and need to make more of the blackberry gin as there isn't much left now. Fortunately I froze lots of blackberries, so enough for another batch. Obviously it's the wrong season for picking at the moment but you could plan ahead especially if you know somewhere to pick them. As I live alone I only buy wine in the little individual bottles to discourage overindulging, and with labels removed they are perfect for refilling with the fruity gin for gifts. A few of us had a gin tasting evening on zoom which was fun.
Personally I love meeting up with friends on zoom, and have 3 regular zooms each week as well as the odd meetings also on zoom. I retired in October and no-longer have work zooms, so zoom is now more pleasurable. My daughter is fed up of zoom as she is on it all day for work meetings!
I also volunteer for a couple of hours at the local food bank most weeks. Volunteering is great for meeting like-minded people who just want to do some good in the community. I was intending to do more volunteering after retirement but some of the things I'd planned aren't happening at present, but when they do I'm probably going to struggle to fit everything in!

Truddles Mon 08-Mar-21 12:16:27

During the first lockdown I redecorated my kitchen, repainted the units and laid a new floor. Then I redecorated my hall stairs and landing. I have now renovated my bathroom with panels and it looks like a posh hotel! I am delighted every time I go in there for a wee! I have planted primroses in the garden and they are just delightful. I am just about to run out of ways to tickle up my home. So tonight I might just follow my original instincts, run a bubble bath in my posh new bathroom, take in a bottle of fizz to celebrate, and get drunk as a lord. Hope this gives you some inspiration xx

Jan51 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:27:50

I have several games on my tablet that have a daily event, solitaire, marjong and puzzle page which I try to do while having breakfast. Itry to get out for a short round the local park most mornings and then come back and do any chores that need doing. Afternoons are mostly spent knitting/crocheting while watching tv or films on my tablet, or reading on my kindle.

Chardy Mon 08-Mar-21 12:33:36

I walk the beach with the dog every morning for at least an hour (doubt I'd get up otherwise). I did brief family histories for a couple of other people, and am desperately waiting for 1921 census to come out (next January) for my family history. I'm a crafter, with enough resources for 7 or 8 different crafts, but I've found myself very unmotivated without bring able to go to groups or meet up with others. My Audible gets me to bed.
Recently spent a couple of days physically sorting tiny outdoor space, again motivated by other people.

Jenz48 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:42:19

I also struggle but make myself have a walk every day, or a cycle ride (electric bike!). In December I had a bit of a lightbulb moment and started to look at painting by numbers kits. I am not a bit creative, but am much happier following recipes, or actual patterns for my knitting. Colouring is fine but for me I soon get bored wondering which colour to do next. Painting by numbers is something I did as a young teen and I was surprised to see them advertised on Amazon, so I bought one. It’s a lovely Mediterranean scene, lots of colour , and is not too difficult to do. The actual size is 16 x 20 inches. I enjoyed it so much I have since painted another 2 and am just about to start another. You can dip in and out, and I have also discovered listening to an audio book at the same time makes a couple of hours fly past. Just search for Painting by numbers for adults.

amblucgeolyd4 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:43:24

I have been doing a great deal of knitting, crochet and felting cards for people's birthdays, I get out and walk my daughters dog whenever I can... I try not to watch anything negative on the telly which is not easy with the present climate but try and watch normal sometimes mundane programmes such as our Yorkshire farm and the great pottery throw down.

nipsmum Mon 08-Mar-21 13:00:03

I walk the dogs, knit, sew cook, bake, make cards , write letters to elderly friends in nursing homes or living alone.

MerylStreep Mon 08-Mar-21 13:06:07

Children2
Read up on exercise ( that doesn’t have to Jane fonder type of exercise ?) and the affect of dopamine on the brain.
Any moving weather it be walking, housework etc produces dopamine. Low levels of dopamine can cause depression.

threexnanny Mon 08-Mar-21 13:43:38

You are not alone CHILDREN2 this lockdown is much harder than the last two. As it's coming up to the anniversary of the first one that is depressing in itself.
All the above suggestions are excellent but I also believe in colour therapy to lift your mood - ie something bright and cheerful in your line of vision. In my case that's usually a nice bunch of flowers. As daffs are just £1 a bunch in most supermarkets now they are ideal. Simple, but it does help.

Corkie91 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:52:57

I'm finding this lockdown much harder than the last, think its because weather has stopped me getting out and about. But rescued my old Wi and been doing a lot of exercising on that love the boxing helps with mu frustration. Do a lot of crosswords sudko also been doing some paid surveys about products for 2 companies which is different and interesting

HazelGreen Mon 08-Mar-21 15:15:02

Household chores count for a lot, at least getting the laundry started in one good reason to get moving early in the morning. The main meal of day needs a bit of planning too so decision c midday and that might lead to need to get some shopping done but really once a week is enough. I am not a great walker without a destination but have app on phone and listen to podcasts and that helps. Lots of choice from comedy to drama etc. Not much on telly these days so netflix or iplayer is a slot for late evening. Look out for repeat of 'Yes Minister' and 'Reggie Perrin' on BBC4 on Tuesday evenings! Youtube is a great resource for helping out 'how to' do things like a new recipe or sewing project.

Suzan05 Mon 08-Mar-21 15:47:59

I am researching my family tree, knit and sew mainly for grandchildren and am teaching myself to do encaustic art. I read alot and intend trying my hand at crochet too which I have always struggled with. There are some great, friendly and helpful groups on Facebook. We do walk every day too which makes such a difference to how we feel. Television is an escape too, especially older comedies such as As Time Goes by. We use Zoom, Whatsapp and Messenger to keep in touch I also use the Calm app which has been a tremendous help. I do hope you begin to feel better very soon as we get closer to being able to meet up. Please take good care of yourself. ?

grannybuy Mon 08-Mar-21 19:56:54

Sort your photos. I'm making photo albums for five DGC. It reminds me of all the happy times we've shared, and will remind them of me when I'm no longer here. I'm also knitting and reading, walking, and occasionally doing some housework.