Gransnet forums

Health

How to keep occupied during lockdown.

(57 Posts)
Children2 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:06:57

Hi I wondered if anyone here has ideas on simple things to pass the time and keep my mind occupied.Suffering from depression and anxiety and told to schedule days to keep busy, but it is hard.
Thank you for reading this.

shysal Sun 07-Mar-21 11:26:42

I have got a bit tired of cross stitch and jigsaw puzzles. After seeing a Gransnetter's example of diamond art I did some keyrings to try. I found the technique easy and relaxing so have now ordered some greetings card kits. They would be suitable for adult or child users. Have a look on Youtube for examples and hints.
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=diamond+painting+cards&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=diamond+art+cards

ginny Sun 07-Mar-21 12:19:51

Craft has helped me , I can loose myself when doing it.
Getting outside also helps if you can. Even a short walk can help. I’m not a great walker but find it helps if I set myself a goal. Maybe counting how many of a certain thing I can see on my way.

rosie1959 Sun 07-Mar-21 12:25:02

I have been decorating and hopefully soon finished so I can start on the gardening. Also have been having a good clear out which reminds me I have a boot full of stuff to take to the tip
I am also planning on getting more exercise to rid me of the lockdown pounds

BlueSky Sun 07-Mar-21 13:16:22

No special hobby just my usual walks. I would hate it if I was prevented to even do this. Then usual TV, internet, books. As you can see I don’t do much different lockdown or not. Thank goodness I enjoy walking as I’m no crafter!

Esspee Sun 07-Mar-21 13:22:05

I have started on my family history. I took a free University course first to make sure I knew what I was doing and it has given me such joy with all the discoveries. I have also made friends with people whose trees overlap. I have offered to drive one American lady around Glasgow when she manages to get here to visit the addresses our mutual ancestor lived at.
Warning - it’s addictive. ?

Hetty58 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:23:09

Lots of gardening, decorating and knitting here! I think you have to find the thing that works for you, though. I'm quite happy with solitary days.

My friend volunteers, as she really needs the interaction with others and company it provides.

We both agree that it's satisfying to have made a difference, some progress, however small, each day.

NotAGran55 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:43:02

Volunteering 2/3 times a week and audible books have kept me sane .

At the start of the first lockdown I decided that I couldn’t stand listening to the constant C19 discussions on the radio and down-loaded the Libby app and increased my Audible subscription.

I have listened dozens of books , from easy fiction through to serious non-fiction , during the day whilst going about my other activities. Driving, cooking, cleaning, sorting, gardening , sewing etc all improved for having my mind on something entertaining or informative.

bonfirebirthday Sun 07-Mar-21 13:51:28

A long walk with my dog twice a day has helped me a great deal plus reading, I am an avid reader. I also discovered 'Future Learn' during the first lockdown and this has kept me sane. There are literally hundreds of free university courses on every conceivable subject from which to choose. The courses also vary in length from 3 weeks to 2 months. I highly recommend 'Future Learn'.

Cabbie21 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:58:08

Voluntary advice work from home for the best part of two days a week, three zoom choirs, zoom church, family history, listening to music, reading the papers, housework, browsing the internet, forums, code word puzzles. Walks when I make myself, like now, I ought to and it is sunny but I prefer to be on here.

Children2 Sun 07-Mar-21 14:05:46

Thank you so much everyone for your input, it has given me lots to think about.

LyWa Sun 07-Mar-21 14:17:58

Have a look at WEA online courses, I’ve been taking craft and language lessons, the tutors are really good, then there is Goldster, lots of online exercise classes ( free for the 1st month, then £9.99 a month), also art, music, cookery & lots more. What with a daily walk, a zoom or phone chat with a friend, Pilates or yoga and maybe crochet or sewing lesson, by the time I sit down in the evening to read my book I realise that’s another day when I didn’t get time to do the housework - oh dear!

hulahoop Sun 07-Mar-21 14:27:39

Go walking most days either with oh sometimes with a friend . I enjoy reading ,jigsaws I usually speak to someone on phone .We usually watch a film in the evening .I do housework when needed .

Amberone Sun 07-Mar-21 14:28:10

Now the weather is improving are you able to find some volunteer work outside a couple of days a week ? There are lots of groups that look after heathlands, woods, etc., and working with a group outside helps with anxiety and depression. Or even a bird/badger/fox/otter watching group.
If you live in a town there are still groups that plant and care for grass areas and verges and parks.

FarNorth Sun 07-Mar-21 14:29:44

I feel myself really slowed down by the current situation. I couldn't possibly 'keep busy' in the way so many are doing.
I count 'ate healthy breakfast' and 'got dressed' as things I've done. Also 'did some Duolingo' and 'went for a walk' usually happen too.
Sometimes I have a zoom meeting but I can't do too many of them as I find them wearing.
Don't feel you have to muster the energy for a lot of activity - just enough to suit yourself.

Amberone Sun 07-Mar-21 14:38:04

It would help to know a little about you - do you have a garden? Can you sew ? Do you cook/bake? Do you have pets? Do you love to read? Do you write?

If you like reading you could join the 50 Books a Year thread where everyone discusses the books they are reading - a bit like having a natter with a friend and interesting to find out what other people like and dislike.

AGAA4 Sun 07-Mar-21 16:17:59

I find puzzles keep me busy and also a good book. A walk for an hour or so is uplifting.
I have a routine for the day now and time passes quickly with phone calls and texts from family and friends at intervals.

Children2 Sun 07-Mar-21 16:40:38

Amberone, yes I use to do all of those but since the first lockdown have not been able to engage with any of those trying to get more motivated , starting cooking, reading is hard as I have poor concentration. Enjoyed the garden last spring but by summer that was hard,even watching Monty Don was hard!
Also suffer poor sleep which does not help.
I understand routine is important but as I said earlier hard to fill the day.
Sorry to sound so depressing when everyone on here seems so positive.

Litterpicker Sun 07-Mar-21 21:56:23

I imagine colouring has been suggested? No need to buy expensive books, you can print out free sheets from web or just ‘take your pencil for a walk’ and colour in the shapes you make.

Listening to audiobooks or podcasts may be easier than reading. Your library will have free e-audiobooks or BBC Sounds has loads - sorry I’m sure you know this smile. Also try natural sounds like the sea or rain online. Or an app like Headspace.

I find cleaning therapeutic when I’m stressed- something simple and contained like wash kitchen or bathroom floor or clean sinks. Do one small thing each day and it helps with giving a sense of routine and achievement.

Sorting something has similar effect - buttons, threads, pencils!

Get outside, even for just 10 minutes. Take a photo of something that catches you eye. Post it on GN or Fb so that others can enjoy smile.

Try a gratitude diary - every night write down 3 things you are grateful for that day.

Finally, remember nothing stays the same. This too will pass.
????

fevertree Sun 07-Mar-21 22:45:36

Look at the Ricefield Arts website, a Chinese cultural charity based in Glasgow. They offer free drawing classes via Zoom, they are a lot of fun. They have other free activities too, next Monday evening I'm involved in a cook-a-long, making Chinese filled pancakes.

Redhead56 Sun 07-Mar-21 23:21:51

I cook alot and make chutneys pickles and marmalade. I home study most recent Sustainability environmental and Judaism courses. Next two areas of study are
Vikings and Tudors. I do the home decorating and painting in the house. I am preparing my raised veg beds ready for planting. I also make dainty fairy gardens in lanterns.

justwokeup Sun 07-Mar-21 23:42:27

Good ideas, love those from Litterpicker. I agree, a walk in woodland if possible, for at least an hour every day is very therapeutic. Any exercise is uplifting and makes you feel better - do you like swimming, as swimming baths can open again soon, or yoga is good for joints? No gym required. Schedule in a radio programme for a change - a comedy show, classical music or Women's Hour. I'm also a bit of a hoarder and am slowly working through cupboards, drawers and wardrobes, one at least each day. Even though I can't get to donate to charity shop yet, it's good to see bags all lined up to go. That also lifts the spirits. I heard on the radio that any creative outlet is good for depression. Maybe you could think of some activity you really want to do, painting, jewellery, writing, baking. It's only for you so it doesn't matter if you're not an expert, it's focussing and creating that counts. I tried sewing and was really pleased to finish an item of clothing with lots of help from Google - lots of sharing people out there. Very best wishes.

FarNorth Sun 07-Mar-21 23:47:11

Great post Litterpicker.

Santana Mon 08-Mar-21 07:44:14

I always feel better and more positive after s good night's sleep, but they can be hard to find for many of us. Perhaps your GP might be able to help with something to improve your sleep?
You sound like your energy levels are very low at the moment, so don't give yourself huge mountains to climb, physical or mental.
I bought my DD a subscription for a crochet magazine for Xmas, and she has added a gardening one to that. Easier to pick up than a book, and just looking at the pictures can be cheery.
Important to take little steps and find pleasure in small things at the moment

Children2 Mon 08-Mar-21 08:52:05

Thank you so much for all your help, I will try to get myself a list of possible things to .