Gransnet forums

Health

How to keep occupied during lockdown.

(58 Posts)
Children2 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:06:57

Hi I wondered if anyone here has ideas on simple things to pass the time and keep my mind occupied.Suffering from depression and anxiety and told to schedule days to keep busy, but it is hard.
Thank you for reading this.

Witzend Mon 08-Mar-21 20:04:29

A walk every day - I do have to force myself sometimes - loads of knitting, reading - books and my Kindle - TV usually only after dinner. The word puzzles in the paper. A lot of time (too much!) online.
Not much housework!

I’m going to join Ancestry when their next special offer comes up and get down to some family history research. Dh spends so many hours doing his - it’s evidently a very absorbing way of passing the time.

Ukcarolm Mon 08-Mar-21 20:16:02

I spend my time sewing, card making or gardening. I really must start to do more walking!

Rabbit Wed 10-Mar-21 12:07:45

Dear Children2, I find that when I am knitting or crocheting, peace & calm descends on me like a lovey dream: my thoughts slow down, they become flowing & take me back to happy places (they were few & far between in my entire life, but nevertheless I count them out like precious pebbles), while I listen to the classical music that brings a new dimension to the room. Other times, I travel through the galleries of the world - via virtual tours & look at the painting & learn about their history & that of their creators. Last year, we signed up to an email from the company selling bird feed, & they started a webcam from Holland, watching birds laying eggs, sitting on them, & hatching the chicks. It's engrossing, life-affirming (with an occasional heart-break of losing a chick) viewing tracking the progress of their growth. You start rooting for some of the birds, the others become your favourite & the third always makes you laugh. I will provide the link to the bird feed company's website: do sign up, they have already told us that the webcams will be set up soon. Have a lovely time! www.birdfood.co.uk/newsletter

anita28 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:09:04

I am a craft enthusiast so I contacted our local nursing home to ask permission and then I made a greeting card for each resident. They all had a different design, verse, joke or saying. Apart from a very productive use of time, I'm sure I had as much pleasure in making them as the residents had in receiving a greeting from an anonymous friend.

grandMattie Sun 14-Mar-21 12:10:37

The WI’s “Denman at Home” courses and lectures are excellent. These are available to anyone, not just members. They cost £5 an hour and range from cookery to a lecture on London’s Gin lane. Have a look.
I took up patchwork, which had terrified me for many years, encouraged by a WI course and have made 5 quilts since lockdown!
Good luck...

Antonia Sun 14-Mar-21 12:47:25

I'm sorry you are feeling depressed and anxious. I think it's completely normal, in this situation.
I have bought a keyboard and a piano book for beginners, and also joined Anna Mason's online art school. The paints needn't be too expensive, and there are step by step videos of how to do the paintings.
Good luckflowers

Mercedes55 Sun 14-Mar-21 17:24:22

I've run out of crafts to do that I am still interested in and like many have found this latest lockdown very difficult.
A friend suggested I visit Ruby Wax's Frazzled Cafe site as they do lots of Zoom meetings on there and I have found them so helpful and even though it's not therapy I've found it's really helped me to learn mindfulness and I have always loved Ruby Wax and find just listening to her and also to the other people who talk at the meetings to be so helpful.