Gransnet forums

Health

What was your childhood cuddly toy called? ?

(159 Posts)
ZadieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 19-Mar-21 17:10:22

It’s our last Sleep Week thread, and so we wanted to end the week on a nostalgic note. Can you remember your favourite childhood cuddly toy and what was it called? Full disclosure, mine was a teddy called… Ted. Very inventive. wink

By posting on this thread you could win one of the fabulous spot prizes we have on offer this week - please see our Sleep Week page here for details of the prizes and for the T&Cs. Don’t forget - we’ll be picking 5 winners at random from threads across the week, so the more threads you post on, the more chance you have of winning!

Don’t forget to stay in touch. Sign up to our newsletter here.

PippaZ Fri 19-Mar-21 19:19:54

This is John (70). My brother (John, of course) gave him to me for my 1st birthday. John had a teddy called Blue Bear. No doubt you've guessed, my family were not very imaginative when it came to names. We had cats called Kitty and budgies (my mother's) called Bluey and Snowy.

As you can see, John is showing his age (not my brother, he has worn well). Blue Bear met a sad end. When my father was posted, a frequent occurrence when we were young, we were allowed to ship two packing cases; Blue Bear's got lost in transit. It was a very sad day and he has never been forgotten.

I also had a large bear called Growler and a small one called squeaker. They were both German bears and both would be in their late 60s by now, but neither are with me any longer, sadly.

Ah, memoriessmile

Alima Fri 19-Mar-21 19:20:11

I still have my three teddies, their names are Peter, Billy and Little Ted. Also still have my cuddly koala bear called Bonalooloo. (I don’t think I have ever written that name down before).

sharon103 Fri 19-Mar-21 19:22:42

I had a teddy bear with no name also a favourite doll called Kirsty. I've no idea where that name came from.

Gannygangan Fri 19-Mar-21 19:28:10

I had rather a lot of cuddly toys but my favourite was Koogie Bear. Tiny Koala. Took him everywhere. For years we were never parted.

When I was about 14 we were flying to USA on holiday and I asked my Grandma to put him in her hand luggage.

Never seen my Grandma blush so much when her bag was searched

The guy held my Koogie Bear in the air and was saying how cute it was and how lovely that my Grandma had brought her koala with her

Lollin Fri 19-Mar-21 19:33:38

Never had one

Whatarethechances Fri 19-Mar-21 19:39:32

I had a lot of cuddly toys but my favourite was a dog called “Ginger”.

EllanVannin Fri 19-Mar-21 19:42:01

A rag doll called Topsy.

silversand12 Fri 19-Mar-21 19:55:32

I didn't have a favourite cuddly toy as a child - plenty of cuddly toys, but no one favourite.
My "thing" was raggy doll - a homemade square of fabric with various ribbons..etc attached. I slept with her for years and she got very threadbare. Mum tried to make me a replacement but it was no good, she wasn't raggy doll! I still have (the remains of!) her smile

Then when I was about 16 (I know, I know!) I bought an elephant from a school Christmas fayre. I called him Elworth (not only was that very fitting for an elephant, but it was also very fitting for the name of the school) and from that day always slept with him.

Shez1955 Fri 19-Mar-21 20:27:52

My favourite teddy is Jingle Bell. He’s 60+ years old and looks a little worse for wear. He sits forlornly on a shelf and I feel very nostalgic when looking at him.

allsortsofbags Fri 19-Mar-21 21:01:04

I have a white bear called Brumas after a Polar Bear at London Zoo.

DillytheGardener Fri 19-Mar-21 21:03:46

Honey Bear. Ancient friend still sits on my dresser.

Grammaretto Fri 19-Mar-21 21:32:00

Annabel was my doll's name. She wasn't a cuddly doll but I loved her. She was a walkie talkie but met a tragic end. She was in a trunk in the ship's hold along with our books, clothes and other belongings on the long voyage to New Zealand.
Sea water flooded the hold and everything was wrecked. I can still remember the stink. sad

Calendargirl Fri 19-Mar-21 22:00:35

Callistemon

Calendargirl

My teddy was called Keith.

???
I don't know why I found that funny!

ps Was he a Teddy bear or a Teddy boy, Calendargirl?

Definitely a teddy bear. It’s a good job he lives in the loft, he would be most upset to think that his name is funny!
He is quite a pale yellow colour, and his poor feet have the stuffing seeping out.

Actually, writing this has made me feel quite guilty about him living up there, with his poorly feet. I may go up there tomorrow and bring him down.

??????????????????????

LucyLocket55 Fri 19-Mar-21 22:10:44

Beloved bear my father brought me back from Aden, called .... Teddy. He came with me to boarding school along with a stuffed German shepherd dog called Arco. Very comforting on cold nights in a chilly dormitory.

Nana3 Fri 19-Mar-21 22:26:13

My only soft toy was a teddy bear called Bertie, I don't know who chose his name, not me.
I loved him though.
Was there a Royal called Bertie?

avitorl Fri 19-Mar-21 22:37:16

My teddy bear was called Vera.It was named after my Aunt who I adored.
I also had a real life Rabbit called Elvis.No prizes for guessing who my other favourite adult was.

mrsmcsporran Fri 19-Mar-21 22:48:45

Mine was a bean-filled bear who I named Beany, and he came on all sorts of adventures with me! I still have him!

Fairlyodd77 Fri 19-Mar-21 22:56:24

A reindeer called Deirdre. Still have her

grannyqueenie Fri 19-Mar-21 23:02:41

Only ever had a Teddy Bear, never named and not actually very cuddly. I had aspirations to be a hairdresser so tidied him up with my dads hair clippers. A few years later the dog had a phantom pregnancy and almost licked him to death. But I still have him and wouldn’t part with him!

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Mar-21 23:04:54

My teddy - Grant.
He was called Grant because I wanted to call him “Grunt” and thought Grant sounded more like a person!

Kate1949 Fri 19-Mar-21 23:12:47

I don't remember having one.

Elrel Fri 19-Mar-21 23:19:19

My teddy was called Teddy! My mother and I moved about a lot during WW2. Teddy was very important to me until I was about 7 or 8. I now have one called Brunswick given to me by my daughter the first Christmas after she went to university!

Grandma11 Fri 19-Mar-21 23:23:11

I had a small dark Brown Teddy bear called Cola, l took him to bed with me every night, but for passing my 11+Exam, my parents bought me a Jack Russel puppy called Mandy, and then whenever l could get away with it, l took her to bed with me instead!

boxfords Fri 19-Mar-21 23:27:13

His name was Teddy. My toy names were always very practical, lol!

Gransooz Fri 19-Mar-21 23:30:08

My cuddly was a teddy called - Teddy. ? He’s about 68 and now lives in a drawer under my bed.
My elder daughter had a little white teddy who spent a fair amount of time in the washing machine! His brown eyes got broken during one wash and I was so worried about telling her. A friend suggested that she would go to a craft shop near her work and pick up a new set of eyes for me. She did, but the only ones they had were blue. I can’t remember how I explained the change in colour but ever since, he was known as Teddy-blue-eyes. Still much loved, he’s now 40!
My younger daughter had a few teddies (with imaginative names like big ted, little ted, tiny ted) but her favourite was a similar little teddy but in a (I thought) horrible yellowish colour. She loved him but on a holiday visit to a miniature village, she lost him. We couldn’t get him back and so went and bought her the same teddy in a nice fawn colour. He is still known as Yellow-Ted although not yellow!