Gransnet forums

Health

Oh for a Decent Covid Mask!

(36 Posts)
borderjoe Sat 20-Mar-21 10:16:10

I've made 4 different styles of masks, following the best information I could find at each time. I still haven't succeeded in producing a comfortable efficient mask. My latest attempt seems to avoid fogging of specs but I'm still not 100% happy with it. My questions are ... has anyone purchased and trialled the silicone inserts? If so, which ones please? ..... and also, are there any efficient masks out there that you can recommend for purchase or for making? I'm thinking of post lockdown when we'll all be out so much more and many of us will still be wanting to wear masks. I'm sort of dreading our hoped-for 3 hour bus journey in August! It's not a case of 'money being no problem' we need to monitor our spends, but I'd happily buy NHS recommended ones with profits going to the NHS. Surely this is an opportunity for someone going forward? .... maybe me ? grin

Franbern Sun 21-Mar-21 18:19:15

I detest wearing masks. Do use those little sillicone cage inserts and find they make them much more comfortable for me. Still have problems taking them off with my hearing aids, that always seem to get caught up in the elastic. Prefer to use the socalled disposable ones, which i do hand wash.

Be so very glad when I can stop using them. I am very concerned at th current imposition on secondary school=aged children to have to wear these all the time they are in school - Strikes me as one of the most unhygenic rules that could be imposed. Most of these youngsters will wear the same mask all day long- sometimes, pushing it up over their hair, or crammed into a pocket and then taken out. They will sniffle and even sneeze and cough into those masks. Do think they should be stopped.

borderjoe Mon 22-Mar-21 11:00:45

Thanks for that but I've done so much research and used YouTube for the 4 styles I have made for family too .... I'm really thinkig of the long term wearing of masks as I can't see Covid disappearing and want to put my efforts into the best mask I can.

GagaJo Mon 22-Mar-21 11:03:56

I cope much better with the proper medical ones. They stand away from my face so don't actually touch my nose or mouth. Having avoided covid despite having direct contact with students at school who were positive, I am a bit happier now that they really do work.

I think we will be wearing masks for another 2 or 3 years. So best to get ones that suit you and you can live with.

I teach 5 hours some days wearing a mask. It was important to get the ones I could live with.

JaneJudge Mon 22-Mar-21 11:07:04

I've just ordered some from M&S via ocado £7.50 for 5 as I am getting fed up of the medical ones grin

borderjoe Mon 22-Mar-21 11:15:16

I'm really not very good at this posting! I try to reply to an individual comment but can't sorry, folks! Thanks to all of you for your answers and suggestions ..... my last reply wasn't meant for you, @Franbern ... but for @lemsip .... arghhh. I think I will try the silicone inserts .... hearing aids and specs are a nightmare for my hubby who also isn't very dexterous ... and I am constantly having to 'dress' him in his mask. I've had a look at the Alder hey ones and the masks for singers too .... and just read the latest about M&S so will check those out. The thing is, my home made ones are ok ...I'm not bad at crafting, but I so want them to do the job after all my efforts. Mine are 3 layered, wired etc etc. I'm tempted by the Alder Hey ones -look good, but they're not cheap and may just get one to try first. Thanks again. I do genuinely think we are going to need masks in our med store from now on if we want to beat Covid and whatever is down the road for us....not being dismal, just practical.

nanna8 Mon 22-Mar-21 11:55:56

I got my pattern from a doctor on utube , too. I have many different colours made from cotton scraps lined with fine white cotton and they are more comfortable than the commercial ones. After a while and lots of washing some of the elastic weakens so I make a few more. My husband wears them but he isn’t very discriminating about colour. I had to point out that he was wearing a rainbow coloured one covered with little elves. He is quite a formal type, I had to laugh!

Luckygirl Mon 22-Mar-21 12:21:32

I bought 2 of the recommended ones - I found that I got very out of breath when wearing them. I reverted to the blue NHS-style ones and it did not happen.

Makes me wonder how effective they are!!

LtEve Mon 22-Mar-21 12:37:16

We have been forbidden from wearing fabric ones at work as have been told they are ineffective so have to wear surgical ones and change them every 15 minutes as they become useless once they become slightly damp with breathing on them.

borderjoe Mon 22-Mar-21 18:46:50

Wow ... that's tough at work LtEve ... My (extensive) research online and also, I think, a WHICH? report I read a few months ago said that well made and 3 layer fabric masks were good and improve with washing as the fibres are drawn closer together. I've just checked on WHICH? ...I had forgotten to revisit ..... and I think there's maybe more info now ....https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face-masks/article/how-to-buy-the-best-face-mask-or-covering-axi5Y1g35Cat

OnwardandUpward Thu 25-Mar-21 01:41:46

They will sniffle and even sneeze and cough into those masks. Do think they should be stopped.

Better they sniffle into a mask than their hand...!! Some people have appalling hygiene and my health has been better with mask wearing.

Interesting research @BorderJoe It backs up my mask preference for triple layers