Gransnet forums

Health

Vaccines - should they be mandatory?

(118 Posts)
DaisyL Tue 23-Mar-21 11:11:14

At the moment no vaccine in the UK is mandatory - we are all advised to have our children vaccinated but it is not compulsory. I've had my first dose of the Covid 19 one and ab out to have the second and think it is a really good idea that everyone has it, but am IU the only one who feels slightly uneasy about trying to make it compulsory?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Mar-21 10:04:57

I am still uncomfortable with mandatory vaccines, we do not have them for children on entering school or for any other disease.

I can see that it could be a requirement for some professions though.

suziewoozie Fri 26-Mar-21 10:07:18

GrannyGravy13

We saw Michael Ball in Hairspray, he was funny and good.

Have also seen him in Les Miserables and Phantom of The Opera, he can definitely sing, nothing cheap about him in my opinion.

I have to admit to being flippant in my comment re MB - I am indoctrinated and dominated by my DH’s belief in what constitutes a singer. And as you will imagine I am in compete thrall to him. But even MB’s most devoted admirer would concede he really has no locus in this debate re vaccines - any more than any other singer?

EllanVannin Fri 26-Mar-21 10:08:19

The annual 'flu vaccine will have to be tweaked this year. That should be enough.

Nanof3 Fri 26-Mar-21 10:12:12

We do not visit pubs or restaurants very often but, if any advertised that all staff had been vaccinated, we would be happy to support them and provide proof that we have also been jabbed.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Mar-21 10:13:22

suziewoozie I think his comments were made in regards to getting theatres open and live performances.

There are many actors/performers becoming extremely vocal on all things Covid/vaccine related recently, I guess they just want to get back to work and earn PDQ.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Mar-21 10:16:04

Vaccination passports should be voluntary, if an establishment requires one it is our choice whether or not to frequent it.

(I will probably have the app on my smartphone, it’s got all my life on it already grin)

suziewoozie Fri 26-Mar-21 10:19:51

GrannyGravy13

suziewoozie I think his comments were made in regards to getting theatres open and live performances.

There are many actors/performers becoming extremely vocal on all things Covid/vaccine related recently, I guess they just want to get back to work and earn PDQ.

I’m sure you right- it’s heartbreaking how the arts have suffered. His comments are perfectly acceptable in that context but don’t take forward the debate about mandation. My friends in Sydney are able to attend theatres, cinemas, concerts now masked and with I believe 75% capacity in the venues.

Galaxy Fri 26-Mar-21 10:21:24

I have said this before but I dont really understand how the school/vaccine issue works in France. How does this affect children under safeguarding measures for example.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 26-Mar-21 10:23:38

I have a friend (of 20 years) who is refusing the jab. My DH says she is not welcome in our house. I shall have to put it to her how would she feel if someone caught covid from her and didn't survive (that could be myself or another friend)

Ellianne Fri 26-Mar-21 10:35:42

Galaxy not sure if this helps, you might be able to change the language.
www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F767

EllanVannin Fri 26-Mar-21 10:41:03

I wouldn't feel safe anywhere right now with a third wave in Europe and a surge of cases in Poland, which is bad at present.

MayBee70 Fri 26-Mar-21 11:08:13

My husband took out a life insurance policy which we cashed in many years later. We lost a huge amount because he’d put himself down as a smoker, albeit only having an occasional cigarette, because he wanted to be totally honest about it. It should be the same with people who refuse the vaccine for non medical reasons.

Galaxy Fri 26-Mar-21 11:20:56

Thanks Ellianne I quite enjoyed using my school level French there. As far as I can see (and my French is rusty) it doesnt explain my query. So for example I have worked with a number of children who are under safeguarding measures due to neglect etc, if families refused a vaccine those children would not be able to go to school which would have a detrimental effect on their welfare. My guess is there will be exemptions s within the French system for those children which actually means it isnt a blanket ban at all.

M0nica Fri 26-Mar-21 13:50:49

Maybee, when my doctor asked me if I had ever been a smoker, I told her that I had, averaged, smoked about one cigarette a week beween 18 and 21, she told me that that counted as being a non-smoker.

MayBee70 Fri 26-Mar-21 17:24:32

It was a difficult one to be honest. The trouble is you’re always insured until something happens and then they’ll try to not pay up. If he’d died of something smoking related it might have invalidated the insurance. And we were social smokers albeit not smoking the rest of the time.

Kamiso Fri 26-Mar-21 18:29:28

www.expatica.com/fr/healthcare/healthcare-basics/vaccinations-in-france-162178/#children

It seems quite a few vaccines are mandatory in France. Our past neighbours daughter married a French man and found quite a few benefits were linked to vaccines so it is feasible but I am not so sure morally or even logistically. Straight jackets aside, how are adults going to be forced to be vaccinated?

It’s a real conundrum. If a person who chooses not to be vaccinated is in ICU with covid, are the other patients potentially at risk? Theoretically they shouldn’t be but in reality?

My youngest was in SBCU when she was born. Not long after discharge I had a call saying that one of the nurses had been diagnosed with TB. Fortunately it turned out it was a different hospital. Very worrying as my Mum lost siblings to TB and my Dad’s sister also died of TB (partly because she was terrified of doctors and hospitals) but very much a reality to my family.

I see vaccination as a way of protecting others and hoping they are protecting me. Quite simple really, no matter how much pontificating goes on.

Ellianne Fri 26-Mar-21 18:38:09

I've tried to find out more about pre school vaccinations in France but everywhere it is stating they are "obligatoire" whatever your beliefs or religion. The fine is a hefty one if your child is not vaccinated, 4000 euros. Proof of vaccination is required from official stamps in the child's health book. No vaccination, no school. The only exemption I found was "pour desraisons de contre-indication médicale" which has to be certified by a physician.
Maybe there is a reluctance amongst French adults to have the covid jab because they are fed up with being forced to have so many vaccinations at an early age?