Gransnet forums

Health

Do you know your blood group?

(184 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 27-Mar-21 11:59:27

Well, do you? I don't understand why doctors won't test your blood group if you request it but apparently the only way you can find out is if you donate blood, which is not possible for everyone. I think that's unacceptable, everyone should have their blood group recorded on their medical record.
There are home test kits, not sure how accurate they are:
Home Test Kit

Nanananana1 Wed 31-Mar-21 11:31:15

Just a side note: there is a really interesting book called "Eat The Right Diet" and it is full of fascinating facts and figures about blood groups, predominance in different ethnic groups and parts of the world. It also suggests that we should eat according to our blood type and thereby metabolism differs, but I'm not sure I completely understand that bit

Secondwind Wed 31-Mar-21 20:15:06

Like many here I found out when I was pregnant over 45 years ago!

Harmonypuss Thu 01-Apr-21 03:00:40

I used to give blood about 30yrs ago and was told that I'm A+, but then found out I have MS and haven't been allowed to donate since - stupid in my opinion because MS isn't transmissible

welbeck Thu 01-Apr-21 04:19:50

lkls

Franbern Sat 03-Apr-21 09:17:03

I am A Pos. Know this from when I was a blood doner.
However, some forty years ago, I had a very bad fall, which resulted in a lot of internal bleeding and twice the hospital tried to give me blood, and both times I went into 'rigour'. I hace no idea why and what they were doing wrong. This was not immediately after I went into hospital, but the first attempt was when I had been there a week, and th e second one two weeks later. Theygave up at that point.

I was very worried when ten yers later I needed a major operation - but that time, they got it right, and had no problem with the blood infusion.

My Covid Vaccination card, is carried with me at all times, I am worried that I could lose it, so have photographed it, and keep a copy both on my phone and on my laptop. Both jabs show date, batch nos. and type.

BlueSky Sat 03-Apr-21 11:46:38

I found out the first time I gave blood. Last year in full pandemic I was alarmed to read that my blood group was more susceptible to Covid but luckily, that theory was soon disproved!

Jane43 Sun 04-Apr-21 10:17:50

Secondwind

Like many here I found out when I was pregnant over 45 years ago!

Me too, nearly 55 years ago. I was given a yellow card with Group A positive on and still had it until quite recently when it disintegrated.

Shandy57 Sun 04-Apr-21 12:14:14

I certainly know I'm Rhesus neg after my pregnancies, ouch!