Gransnet forums

Health

Do you know your blood group?

(183 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 27-Mar-21 11:59:27

Well, do you? I don't understand why doctors won't test your blood group if you request it but apparently the only way you can find out is if you donate blood, which is not possible for everyone. I think that's unacceptable, everyone should have their blood group recorded on their medical record.
There are home test kits, not sure how accurate they are:
Home Test Kit

keepingquiet Sat 27-Mar-21 12:11:56

Yes, I have known my blood group since I was pregnant and I'm B Positive (easy to remember!).
I'm not sure why you feel it is so important for you to know, though.
Your blood group will be on record if you have had children or have been in hospital for any reason. If this is you then maybe just ask to see your records.
Your GP shouldn't be taking bloods unless for health reasons.

Redhead56 Sat 27-Mar-21 12:12:17

I was a blood donor my blood type is RH neg group A. When I had my children I asked their blood group and wasn’t told. I think it’s every bodies right to know too.

Peasblossom Sat 27-Mar-21 12:18:08

My babies’ blood groups were recorded on the little plastic identity bracelet they put on at birth in hospital. One the same as me, two the same as my husband. Perhaps they don’t do it now because of confidentiality?

Bet the bracelets aren’t pink and blue either?

EllanVannin Sat 27-Mar-21 12:18:39

Yes, I've known since 1960. It's O positive ( universal one )
D in Oz is A negative like her dad was.

Marydoll Sat 27-Mar-21 12:21:47

I'm O positive, found out when I was pregnant, 42 years ago. It was recorded in the ante natal record I took to appointments.

jusnoneed Sat 27-Mar-21 12:31:46

Yep, I have a little yellow card that I was given when I was pregnant with my first son 45 years ago.

dragonfly46 Sat 27-Mar-21 12:33:43

Yes I was told mine when I was pregnant O Negative! Since then I gave blood for as long as I could.
My DH doesn't know his though.

suziewoozie Sat 27-Mar-21 12:33:50

It really doesn’t matter - why would it?

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Mar-21 12:33:56

I am A positive. I found out many years ago when I donated blood regularly.

Calendargirl Sat 27-Mar-21 12:34:21

Yes, I know mine, but I’m a blood donor. Don’t know if I would know otherwise.

dragonfly46 Sat 27-Mar-21 12:34:44

I do know both my children are Positive though as I had to have an injection after each of them.

dragonfly46 Sat 27-Mar-21 12:35:41

Suzie it matters if you are Negative. If you are given Positive blood it produces antibodies. I carry a card at all times.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Mar-21 12:35:55

Yes O positive known since I entered Malaysia to live in 1965 you had to carry an identity card with it on

suziewoozie Sat 27-Mar-21 12:36:12

Here you are - now you can stop fretting ?

www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/operations-tests-and-procedures/how-can-i-find-out-my-blood-type-blood-group/

suziewoozie Sat 27-Mar-21 12:36:50

dragonfly46

Suzie it matters if you are Negative. If you are given Positive blood it produces antibodies. I carry a card at all times.

No one will give you blood without checking

growstuff Sat 27-Mar-21 12:40:48

I'm AB+. I'm a universal recipient, but hardly anybody else can have my blood, which is why the Blood Transfusion Service won't even take AB+ blood from females they can't even use my plasma in case it was contaminated when I was pregnant.

suziewoozie Sat 27-Mar-21 12:42:17

Apparently in a life threatening situation they give O negative.

MaizieD Sat 27-Mar-21 12:43:27

suziewoozie

It really doesn’t matter - why would it?

I think it does matter. If you're Rh Negative you should be given plasma if you need an emergency blood transfusion (if you've been in an accident, say). At least, that's what it says on the card I've carried round with my driver's licence for the last 40+ years. I'm A Rh negative.

It was also needed to be known when you were pregnant because:

www.nct.org.uk/pregnancy/tests-scans-and-antenatal-checks/rhesus-negative-blood-and-pregnancy-what-you-need-know

Elegran Sat 27-Mar-21 12:43:35

Checking takes time. If you need an emergency transfusion, speed could be vital. It is something worth knowing - if you have an allergy you probably carry a card to say so, and being Rhesus negative is similar as having an allergy to Rhesus positive blood.

As for Redhead not being told the blood groups of her children - why ever not? She would have been told if they had allergies.

MaizieD Sat 27-Mar-21 12:45:48

suziewoozie

dragonfly46

No one will give you blood without checking

Hmm. You're bleeding to death after a car accident? Time to check your blood group?

I don't know, to be honest. Perhaps someone with more medical knowledge than me can say. Is there a rapid test available?

suziewoozie Sat 27-Mar-21 12:47:06

It really doesn’t add up that we need to know - if we’re brought in unconscious in an emergency needing blood surely they have protocols?

GagaJo Sat 27-Mar-21 12:48:01

A+. Don't know when I found out. I've known for years now.

Alishka Sat 27-Mar-21 12:49:11

I'm the Universal 0 positive. My card is in the back of my purse, along with other Essentials - Credit cards, Store cards etc - and now the NHS Covid vaccine card.
@ Suzie, see upthread, where peeps have given explanationssmile

suziewoozie Sat 27-Mar-21 12:52:09

Here’s what happens

www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhae/article/PIIS2352-3026(17)30051-0/fulltext

How on earth could a system rely on a card in the back of a wallet in a handbag left behind in the crashed car or on a patients recollection of their blood type on admission ? If it really mattered we’d all have it tattooed on our foreheads ?