Gransnet forums

Health

Do you know your blood group?

(183 Posts)
dragonfly46 Sat 27-Mar-21 12:33:43

Yes I was told mine when I was pregnant O Negative! Since then I gave blood for as long as I could.
My DH doesn't know his though.

jusnoneed Sat 27-Mar-21 12:31:46

Yep, I have a little yellow card that I was given when I was pregnant with my first son 45 years ago.

Marydoll Sat 27-Mar-21 12:21:47

I'm O positive, found out when I was pregnant, 42 years ago. It was recorded in the ante natal record I took to appointments.

EllanVannin Sat 27-Mar-21 12:18:39

Yes, I've known since 1960. It's O positive ( universal one )
D in Oz is A negative like her dad was.

Peasblossom Sat 27-Mar-21 12:18:08

My babies’ blood groups were recorded on the little plastic identity bracelet they put on at birth in hospital. One the same as me, two the same as my husband. Perhaps they don’t do it now because of confidentiality?

Bet the bracelets aren’t pink and blue either?

Redhead56 Sat 27-Mar-21 12:12:17

I was a blood donor my blood type is RH neg group A. When I had my children I asked their blood group and wasn’t told. I think it’s every bodies right to know too.

keepingquiet Sat 27-Mar-21 12:11:56

Yes, I have known my blood group since I was pregnant and I'm B Positive (easy to remember!).
I'm not sure why you feel it is so important for you to know, though.
Your blood group will be on record if you have had children or have been in hospital for any reason. If this is you then maybe just ask to see your records.
Your GP shouldn't be taking bloods unless for health reasons.

Chestnut Sat 27-Mar-21 11:59:27

Well, do you? I don't understand why doctors won't test your blood group if you request it but apparently the only way you can find out is if you donate blood, which is not possible for everyone. I think that's unacceptable, everyone should have their blood group recorded on their medical record.
There are home test kits, not sure how accurate they are:
Home Test Kit