Gransnet forums

Health

Do you wake up in the morning feeling refreshed?

(79 Posts)
Shinamae Fri 30-Apr-21 10:30:39

Despite having between seven and nine hours sleep a night(but usually getting up-once when nature calls) I do not wake up feeling refreshed I wake up totally sluggish and have to drag myself out of bed and l can’t understand it.... I do have friends that manage to leap out of bed full of the joys of spring, how I wish I were one of them....

timetogo2016 Sun 09-May-21 10:32:15

The first thing i think when i wake up is thank god i`m still here.
That will do for me.

Greyduster Sat 08-May-21 09:33:52

I have not woken refreshed for some time - I often say to DH I feel as if I have spent the night stuffed into a large box with the lid on. I am a mass of aches and pains until I’ve had a shower and eased it all out.

jeanie99 Sat 08-May-21 08:49:16

I don't wake up tired but aching in my legs, I do a stretch while still in bed (knees to chest) and slowly get out.
I usually have back ache which seen to wear off as the day goes on.
At the moment in additional I have a painful heel and the top of my (same leg) aching.
I'm 76 now but up until 3 years ago didn't have any of this. Family say I do too much, I do gardening and walking and am not sedimentary but I'm trying to rest up now because of going I'm going away in a few days.
I do have a number of health issues but still do everything I want to within reason.
I'm not a good patient.

moggie57 Fri 07-May-21 12:53:56

no i lay in bed till my heart calms down .havent had any anxiety tablets for 2 days now . so feeling a bit calmer ..i had to have these due to my noisy neighbour ...but she has quietened down somewhat ...but i still feel anxious in my home ..am always tired due to kidney problems . but i make myself go to charity shop to get out of my home.

Jemma75 Fri 07-May-21 06:49:38

I have never been a morning person and always relied on coffee and a shower to get me going. Now I am pretty stiff when I awake but force myself out of bed because the stiffness goes away with movement. For me, the gift of retirement is not to awake with an alarm. Sweet !

NanKate Thu 06-May-21 21:51:16

Thanks Meryl. I will ask the consultant to check this out.

MerylStreep Thu 06-May-21 20:01:34

NanKate
Have you had your B12 checked ? It could be that.

NanKate Thu 06-May-21 19:50:03

I have an underactive thyroid and over the years the doctors have reduced my tablets. I cannot remember the last time I had energy. Even the consultant won’t put my tablets back up. I have come to the conclusion this is how things will be.

I’ve tried changing my diet, I walk every day and do Qigong.

I can sleep for England ?

Elvis58 Thu 06-May-21 19:15:25

I wake up between 4 and 5 am trot to the toilet, then back to bed for an hour or more.Then l get up do my stretching and pilates exersise regime.Without which my back would be seized up.Cup of tea, brekkie then a shower ready to roll.l go to bed between 11- 11.30 but rarely sleep right through,but it suits me.

Mollygo Thu 06-May-21 17:23:35

At the moment, yes. May be the lighter mornings, maybe being back at work not WFH.
I’m sleeping better -I can tell because I haven’t bought as many overnight books recently.
It may not last, but while it does, 6am start, gym for a swim seems good.

knspol Thu 06-May-21 16:48:59

Have never, ever felt wide awake or well rested in a morning. Never really believed people actually do jump out of bed eager to face the day. I lay there wondering which part is going to ache the most that day, usually have headache, earache and or back ache. Always feel brighter once showered and dressed but it's dragging myself out of bed and into the shower that's the problem.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 06-May-21 16:36:12

Perhaps you're just not a morning person Shinamae and feel better as the day goes on. Unless I wake with a headache I generally get up feeling all right. I need to have the window open a crack for ventilation and not feel too hot or cold.

Smurf52 Thu 06-May-21 16:27:43

For the loo that should be!!!

Smurf52 Thu 06-May-21 16:26:55

I've never woken up feeling refreshed despite 8 to 10 hours sleep. I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea 18 months ago and still feel tired in the mornings with CPAP equipment, although I have noticed that I only get up once a night for the look now rather than about five times! It could be tablets I'm taking - statins, antidepressants and for high blood pressure. I would love to get up early and feel refreshed.

MayBee70 Thu 06-May-21 15:34:25

The best sleep I have is a half hour nap in the afternoon. I always feel great after that. I sleep terribly at night and if I don’t to need to go to the loo several times (I usually do) the dog will want to go out.

Happysexagenarian Thu 06-May-21 15:30:59

I sleep like a log (7 or 8 hours) sometimes getting up once for the bathroom. DH gets up 4 or 5 times every night but I never hear him. But it takes me a long time to wake up each morning and I often doze off again. DH makes tea and brings it upstairs and I don't really feel awake until I've had my cuppa, and I wouldn't say that I feel refreshed by sleep. I've never been a morning person, but I can stay up into the wee small hours. I recently stayed up till 4.30am finishing some sewing and then didn't bother going to bed and slept soundly the following night.

BrandyGran Thu 06-May-21 15:28:24

Never feel well when I waken - residue of depression I was hit with in my early 60 s. The best thing is distraction- get up, pull back the curtains and start the day . Very rarely I can snuggle down again for a snooze!

Kartush Thu 06-May-21 15:00:01

I mostly always wake up looking and feeling like something the cat dragged in.

silverlining48 Thu 06-May-21 14:40:45

I posted earlier about my poor sleep. I have zopiclone as a standby, took one last night and had a fantastic night, woke at 8.15 and felt great.

olliebeak Thu 06-May-21 13:30:16

I NEVER feel 'refreshed' in a morning.

I've got arthritis in the hips and pelvis which makes it difficult to get comfortable in bed at night. Also very hard to get out of bed and move around for the first 20mins or so.

I've also got polyps in my nose which makes it hard to breathe properly at night. I end up breathing through my nose, which leaves me with dehydrated mouth/throat/lips. I use a Nasal Spray before bedtime, but it doesn't always work properly.

Good job that I'm NOT a horse ........................... :-(.

Aepgirl Thu 06-May-21 13:24:09

I sleep badly and wake up feeling ‘battered’.

Mealybug Thu 06-May-21 13:04:51

Definitely not, just said the same to my dtr. Last night woke up every hour looking at the clock then feel tired all day. Tried early nights, baths, milky drinks and nothing works. I am FT carer for husband though who has dementia and even though he sleeps right through I can't.

ooonana Thu 06-May-21 12:40:00

Hi all, I can relate to Tanith, I suffer with arthritis and even tho a long nights sleep is attractive it means I’m so stiff when I wake up and need time, about an hour, to feel I’m getting going. I take medication early and can’t eat for half an hour and then another lot taken with food. I have days when I just don’t get going, and some days when I’ve got a walk with a friend at a NT planned and I come alive then..... so much of all this is mental?

springishere Thu 06-May-21 12:28:53

I'm so glad to read all this. I thought I was unique in taking two hours to get going in the morning. Orange juice, coffee and porridge before I even feel human!

Nanananana1 Thu 06-May-21 12:10:41

Ah the menopause! When does it stop? Is it ever over?
I have had dreadful sleep since age 50 (now 67) and can get by on a massive 4-5 hours (on a good night) but would love a restful, restorative night.

My DH says I used to 'hit the ground running' when I was younger but it takes at least an hour to drag myself to being fully awake and being able to move without creaking now

I did get a Fitbit and it does show up some fascinating sleep patterns. I'd recommend one to those of you who are curious about how much sleep you actually DO get. I FEEL as though I have been awake all night but it tells me I have had several naps and 3 minutes of Deep Sleep!