Gransnet forums

Health

How often do you use the bathroom at night?

(23 Posts)
Antonia Thu 13-May-21 11:55:27

At least twice, sometimes three times. It's not usually a problem getting back to sleep though.

Chardy Thu 13-May-21 11:54:21

I don't have a drink after 6pm if I don't want to get up in the night.

B9exchange Thu 13-May-21 11:53:31

Have ti go at least every two hours during the day, but can sleep through most nights. Only exception is when woken by DH snoring and sometimes go just because the disturbance will make him roll over, and I can get back to sleep. I am fortunate that he doesn't usually have to get up for the loo either, as that always wakes me up.

Grannynannywanny Thu 13-May-21 11:52:31

After reading this thread I consider myself lucky not to have to get up at all. I go at bedtime and have an occasional sip of water overnight but I’m fine till morning.

However, last week I spent a few nights in a camper van with no toilet. Although I used the on-site facilities at bedtime I felt I needed an overnight visit to the loo each night. I didn’t fancy venturing outside of the camper on my own in the middle of the night so I managed to wait till morning. I think it was psychological because I knew I had no quick and easy access to the bathroom.

Welshy Thu 13-May-21 11:41:19

Thank you ..... I guess I am fortunate that I only have to get up once after reading your stories. It is so annoying!

I never used to get up in the night when I was younger. I was like you EllanVannin 'I'm like a camel during the day too'

jeanrobinson Thu 13-May-21 11:07:56

I have to pee twice most nights, but I have female plastic urinals on my bedside table.

EllanVannin Thu 13-May-21 11:00:43

I rarely have to get up in the night, then again I'm like a camel during the day too. Always been the same.
I had a GP say this in the 70's because of the way I "store " water.

jusnoneed Thu 13-May-21 10:59:13

Usually once, occasionally twice - depends if I have drunk much through the evening. I do usually go straight back to sleep though, find it best not to put light on when I go down (our shower room downstairs).

dogsmother Thu 13-May-21 10:56:47

At least twice.

Aveline Thu 13-May-21 10:56:15

I do go once but its something to do with my sleep pattern. I seem to drift to wakefulness after about 3 or 4 hours. If I get up and go to the loo whether I need to or not I fall asleep straight after. If I lie awake trying not to go I'm awake for ages.

Rosalyn69 Thu 13-May-21 10:55:53

I don’t get up in the night.

FlexibleFriend Thu 13-May-21 10:49:18

I don't get up at night for the loo and I take a bottle of water to bed with me as I get a very dry mouth.

JaneJudge Thu 13-May-21 10:40:17

once usually, occasionally twice but I also drink water during the night which I don't suppose helps but if I don't drink it I wake up with a headache

JackyB Thu 13-May-21 10:35:48

Twice. I catch up on the missed sleep by having an afternoon nap.

henetha Thu 13-May-21 10:08:54

I think I'm quite lucky at my age to only have to get up once in the night, and occasionally not at all. I attribute it to doing my pelvic exercises regularly for years.

timetogo2016 Thu 13-May-21 09:54:51

Same here silverlining48.
But once i have my first cuppa or two ,i`m off.

FannyCornforth Thu 13-May-21 09:51:00

Same as you, usually twice.
Buy I'm awake a lot anyway and drink water during the night.

aggie Thu 13-May-21 09:49:24

I had a series of UTIs and was up several times in the night , the problem is that I seem to get up now for nothing , I do try holding on but still have to “go” , I do know it is just a habit

silverlining48 Thu 13-May-21 09:48:18

I wake a lot but never feel the need to get up

tanith Thu 13-May-21 09:44:17

I used to get up at least once but now I go as I’m going to bed to read or on my iPad for a bit then use the bathroom again just before I settle down it works I rarely need a pee in the night.

Lollin Thu 13-May-21 08:58:00

Similar age to you OP. was TWICE v annoying but eventually just once now mainly zero. Tried various things, gave up, and learnt to hang on for as long as possible. So eventually not until getting up time now for the greater majority of the time.

sodapop Thu 13-May-21 08:48:12

At least twice and often more. Several friends are the same, it's difficult to get back to sleep as well.

Welshy Thu 13-May-21 08:46:18

I'm not sure if this has been asked before .... I'm just interested to know how many times you need to use the bathroom at night.
I'm 61 and I get up once (very rarely twice) but I have to drag myself out of bed to go and hold on as long as possible.