Gransnet forums

Health

Plans to share NHS data

(30 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 30-May-21 11:10:37

Apparently plans are in place to share all patient data from GPs database for research and commercial purposes. I am not comfortable with this, although it is supposed to be anonymous.
www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/30/gps-warn-plans-share-patient-data-third-parties-england

B9exchange Thu 10-Jun-21 23:40:04

Resurrecting this because the legal challenge to the Government has resulted in a delay until 1st September, and hopefully a more effective communication campaign, (though I am not holding my breath despite Ben Goldacre being appointed to rescue it!) but also because a lawyer has now started a petition. He says

"I am a Barrister of England and Wales and feel strongly that everyone should be given the choice of how their data is used. I don't necessarily object to companies having access to some data but I object to the data being shared without prior, informed consent on what information is shared, and with whom"

www.change.org/p/the-department-for-health-and-social-care-stop-the-share-of-nhs-data-and-paid-access-without-informed-consent?cs_tk=Agb5GpluuCZYFldtxmAAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvNWRynN2ClpsckBZHFi5PQw%3D&utm_campaign=921654b0a648466a87888934b9e261c1&utm_content=initial_v0_1_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=guest_sign_login_link&utm_term=cs

I just felt I should share it in case anyone would like to sign it?

B9exchange Wed 23-Jun-21 00:28:12

This video of Matt Hancock being caught out would make a wonderful teaching aid for psychology and legal students!

twitter.com/YasmineBoudiaf/status/1407279518184882178

B9exchange Tue 20-Jul-21 19:07:08

Followers of this thread may not be that surprised to hear that the 1st September date for the grab of all patient data from GP practices into one large database will also come and go. NHSDigital have halted the roll out until they can satisfy certain conditions.

Data that has been collected must be able to be deleted from the database if the patient opts out at a later date (not sure how they will delete the data they have already passed on to others!)

Better communication to the general public about what they are doing

A Trusted Research Environment to be implemented offering further protections

My breath is baited! grin

Josianne Wed 10-Nov-21 12:05:58

Sorry, nothing to do with this thread but GNHQ have just told me threads from May cannot resurface on the Active or Trending list when a later post is added. All due to algorithms?
Just checking using an old May post.
Apologies.