Gransnet forums

Health

Amlodipine - anyone taking it?

(28 Posts)
kittylester Tue 01-Jun-21 15:46:19

If so, what are your experiences?

crazyH Tue 01-Jun-21 23:20:15

I take Amlodipine 5mg daily.- done for past 5 years - no adverse effects. Having said that, I recently notice my feet swell up in the night (after a shower). It’s probably the warm weather and nothing to do with Amlodipine.

Nannytopsy Tue 01-Jun-21 23:08:47

I take 10mg amlodipine and 100mg losartan plus a diuretic for high blood pressure. It rocketed when I was told to take ibuprofen for arthritis, so started the amlodipine about 4 months ago.
My feet and ankles are swelling more than usual in the warm weather and I get a strange sharp creeping pain in one foot. I think I need a change!

MiniMoon Tue 01-Jun-21 22:51:51

My DH takes Amlodipine from Almus Pharmaceuticals with no side effects. Any other brand, and he suffers with joint pain and headaches.

Chewbacca Tue 01-Jun-21 21:28:13

I've been on Amlodipine 20mgs per day for about 5 years now with absolutely no side affects at all.

Jaxjacky Tue 01-Jun-21 21:24:22

I took it some years ago, lowered my sodium, now on Lecarnidipine 10mg daily, no problems.

Charleygirl5 Tue 01-Jun-21 20:48:39

Very swollen feet and ankles so changed to Atenolol am and Ramipril pm. No side effects from either drug now.

BlueSky Tue 01-Jun-21 20:17:59

Same here Blossoming I’ve had high BP most of my adult life, despite healthy diet, daily walking, not overweight, never smoked. I guess it must be hereditary as unfortunately both side of my family suffered with it. Like you it quickly goes out of control if I fail to take any of my medication.

Marydoll Tue 01-Jun-21 17:35:05

Kitty, I'm on 10mg Rampril and 10 mg Amlodopine, have been for yonks. Unfortunately nothing will bring my BP down. Perhaps staying of GN will!!! wink
However, no side effects, not even swollen ankles.

Fennel Tue 01-Jun-21 17:31:58

After several falls the hospital took me off Amlodipine Because of low blood pressure.
The first one (?) caused a persistent cough.
Nothing now - i'm seeing my GP next week (shock) about something else so will ask about it.

Whiff Tue 01-Jun-21 17:18:36

I've been taking Amlodipine 5mg one a day and Ramipril 10mg one a day for well over 10 years and had no problems with them. They mix very well with my other medications.

Blossoming Tue 01-Jun-21 17:09:39

I’ve been taking 5mg of amlodipine for 19 years, in combination with several other meds. It’s what’s known as a calcium channel blocker, it relaxes and widens certain blood vessels and thus reduces blood pressure. I have familial malignant hypertension and my blood pressure will quickly spiral out of control if left untreated. I haven’t had any of the known side effects such as swollen ankles, but this is probably because one of the other meds I take is a diuretic. It’s a fine balancing act getting the drug mix just right and it took over a year for my blood pressure to finally be brought under control. If the side effects are not improving I’d speak to your doc.

shysal Tue 01-Jun-21 17:08:07

I have taken 5mg daily for about 4 years with no side effects. I have white coat syndrome so monitor my BP at home. The first reading is always high but after following my relaxation routine all is fine.

Calpurnia Tue 01-Jun-21 17:02:27

Since starting on this I have had the most awful nightmares - every single night. Very distressing.

aonk Tue 01-Jun-21 16:47:06

I have been on amlodipine 5mg for over 10 years with no problems. My ankles swell very occasionally but only in hot weather.

Ilovecheese Tue 01-Jun-21 16:45:57

Amlodipine and Ramipril for several years, no side effects.

Auntieflo Tue 01-Jun-21 16:45:47

I was prescribed this a couple of months ago, then taken off it, as it made my ankles swell and retain water. So I am now on Furosemide water tablets.
I have also very recently been taken off Candestartan, BP tablets.

Grandmajean Tue 01-Jun-21 16:29:19

"my" not "by" - should have checked my post !

Grandmajean Tue 01-Jun-21 16:28:42

I am on 10 mg Amlodipine. It has been excellent for lowering by blood pressure which shot up 14 years ago during a very difficult time when my daughter was ill. I have not had any side effects , really , and it came with a huge bonus - it completely cured the frequent migraines I had suffered since I was in my teens . Apparently this is an unusual side effect but a fantastic one. The headaches were in no way related to blood pressure which had been fine until my daughter's illness.

BBbevan Tue 01-Jun-21 16:25:57

It gave me very cold feet. Now on Ramipril with no side effects whatsoever ever .

BlueSky Tue 01-Jun-21 16:15:50

I’m on amlodipine but can only take 5mg the 10mg gives me palpitations. I’m also on 8mg perindopril. I get some hot flushes which I believe are due to the amlodipine, anyone else? But it does keep my BP in check.

Welshwife Tue 01-Jun-21 16:05:23

I used to take it but was taken off as it gave me swollen ankles. The Ramipril gave me a dry cough. I am now on Urbesartan which seems to work very well for me.

Maywalk Tue 01-Jun-21 16:03:46

Yes I take 10mg of Amlodipine with 80mg Valsarten Kitty for hypertension .
With looking at this site below I already have Asthma and breathing problems and I have a pacemaker.

Are you getting side effects with it.? Have a look at this site and if you have anything that is worrying you contact your
doctor. www.nhs.uk/medicines/amlodipine/

annsixty Tue 01-Jun-21 16:03:06

I was put on Amlodipine a few years ago but my feet swelled up really badly.
When I told the Dr she said it was a common side effect and changed me to Felodipine which has produced no side effect at all and does keep my BP well within the normal reading.

Daftbag1 Tue 01-Jun-21 15:55:15

I'm on 20mg Amlodipine & 20mg Ramipril, no side effects at all.

Kalu Tue 01-Jun-21 15:53:57

DH has been taking Amlodipine 10mg daily for six years with no adverse effects kitty.